The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Young apprentice jockey Ronan Lawlor died this morning after an accident on Pat Fahy's gallops down in Carlow.

Puts a few jockeys taking the wrong course into perspective.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

boojangles

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 16, 2010, 06:08:07 PM
Young apprentice jockey Ronan Lawlor died this morning after an accident on Pat Fahy's gallops down in Carlow.

Puts a few jockeys taking the wrong course into perspective.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal.

RIP.Very sad news.

boojangles

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 15, 2010, 08:03:05 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on February 15, 2010, 07:48:49 PM
Is Cheltenham on St Patrick's week this year?

Yep, March 16-19. Patrick's Day falls on Champion Chase day. First time it falls within the festival since the day War Of Attrition won the Gold Cup in 2006.

Quote from: Treasurer on February 15, 2010, 11:44:20 AM
Quote from: Silky on February 11, 2010, 01:37:43 PM
Will the board be running a Chelenham competition this year? Who looked after it last year?

I did it for the last couple of years but seeing as I'll actually be there this year :D and don't particularly fancy carrying the laptop around with, someone else will have to take up the reins.

I can dig out the database I used if anyone wants it.

I'm heading over myself but I'd be willing to run it if needs be. You'd hardly need someone to put up a league table until its over anyway. Its not as if the results are going to change!

Could run it like the ATR tipping challenges - Mythical bank of €100 to bet each day. One selection per race at the official SP. Person who produces the most profit at the end of the week wins.

Picking a horse for each race might involve a bit too much effort and would probably suit the experts like DH a bit more :P :P
If I remember right Treas,last year we picked 2 selections a day.NAP gets double points. It might be as handy to run it that way. What do the rest think?

Mac hinery

TacadoirArdMhacha

I can give a hand at the organising since I'll be stuck at home!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Catch the high ball

I'd say if you picked for every race for the Festivel with your imaginary 100 euro, it gives you more chance of winning more races. More effort put potential for big "winnings" at the end.
GAA Board World Cup Sweepstake Winner 2010

thewobbler

I ran this a few years ago on the board and I have to say it's a pain in the hole!

My rules were 10 pts a day, do what you like with them.

Big mistake.

People started pulling canadians, e/w trixies and 0.25 stakes out of the bag. I'm pretty sure someone complained when they didn't get their one-part-of-a-yankee-bonus. Nobody has enough time in the day to calculate returns on all that for 30-40 folks.

Anyone taking the mantle up this year I'd suggest keeping it to singles only.

Mac hinery

Quote from: thewobbler on February 16, 2010, 09:14:24 PM
I ran this a few years ago on the board and I have to say it's a pain in the hole!

My rules were 10 pts a day, do what you like with them.

Big mistake.

People started pulling canadians, e/w trixies and 0.25 stakes out of the bag. I'm pretty sure someone complained when they didn't get their one-part-of-a-yankee-bonus. Nobody has enough time in the day to calculate returns on all that for 30-40 folks.

Anyone taking the mantle up this year I'd suggest keeping it to singles only.

The 10p luckys and the 25p each way patents were great.  You just couldn't keep up with the hard sums :)

Donnellys Hollow

I think including all the handicaps would make it even more competitive and level out the playing field given their unpredictable nature.

How about something like this (based on ATR's tipping challenge model):

-> Daily mythical bank of €100 to bet - so €400 over the four days

-> One selection per race - either win single or e/w

-> Participants must select one horse in each race

-> Participants who exceed their €100 bank on an individual day are disqualified

-> Participants can only use their €100 bank on the one day - e.g. no carry over of €20 to Wednesday if you've only bet €80 on Tuesday

-> Only the official SP as published in the Racing Post will be used

-> Place terms: 1/4 the odds in all races - 4 places in races of 16 runners or more, 3 places in races with under 16 runners

-> Winner will be the person who generates the most € profit at the end of the four days

Example of an entry for the Tuesday of last year's festival:

1:30 - Go Native €10 win
2:05 - Forpadydeplasterer €20 win
2:40 - Wichita Lineman €10 win
3:20 - Punjabi €5 e/w
4:00 - Garde Champetre €20 win
4:40 - Quevega €30 win

I'd happily run this if needs be. If people want a different format then we're all ears! I'm over in the Cotswolds for the four days myself but I'd calculate the final table on Saturday 20 March when I get home.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

sammymaguire

good man cheers DH looking forward to it
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

souljaboy

I also think DH looks a better option than last years format
I like Big Butts and I cannot lie

winsamsoon

Sorry to hear about that young lad does kinda put things into perspective God bless him and may he Rest In Peace.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

winsamsoon

PP didn't refund stakes on the 2:40 decision final. I had a debate with a live helper tonight  >:(, but that's the way it goes. That fantasy horse thing Donnelly looks the the part . Good man.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

boojangles

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 16, 2010, 10:25:16 PM
I think including all the handicaps would make it even more competitive and level out the playing field given their unpredictable nature.

How about something like this (based on ATR's tipping challenge model):

-> Daily mythical bank of €100 to bet - so €400 over the four days

-> One selection per race - either win single or e/w

-> Participants must select one horse in each race

-> Participants who exceed their €100 bank on an individual day are disqualified

-> Participants can only use their €100 bank on the one day - e.g. no carry over of €20 to Wednesday if you've only bet €80 on Tuesday

-> Only the official SP as published in the Racing Post will be used

-> Place terms: 1/4 the odds in all races - 4 places in races of 16 runners or more, 3 places in races with under 16 runners

-> Winner will be the person who generates the most € profit at the end of the four days

Example of an entry for the Tuesday of last year's festival:

1:30 - Go Native €10 win
2:05 - Forpadydeplasterer €20 win
2:40 - Wichita Lineman €10 win
3:20 - Punjabi €5 e/w
4:00 - Garde Champetre €20 win
4:40 - Quevega €30 win

I'd happily run this if needs be. If people want a different format then we're all ears! I'm over in the Cotswolds for the four days myself but I'd calculate the final table on Saturday 20 March when I get home.

Sounds good DH.

Treasurer

Quote from: souljaboy on February 16, 2010, 10:35:44 PM
I also think DH looks a better option than last years format

Hmph!! Well I tried!