The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaa.boy

Stuffed! Only picked it as I was following money horses earlier.

Shamrock Shore

Thanks for Mighty Bob tip.

Only checked online to see a nice tidy bump in my account.

Cheers!

maddog

Could be totally wrong but i think Big Zeb is poor value tomorrow. In against much more experienced chasers, he's an iffy enough jumper and presumably fav on merit of what i think is false form when he ran master minded close at punchestown. Id fancy Well Chief to finish in front of him. Sandown takes a bit of jumping.
But as i say could be totally wrong.

thewobbler

If any of them turn it into a charge I can't see Big Zeb's jumping holding up around Sandown either.

Donnellys Hollow

I wouldn't say the Punchestown form is false form Maddog. I've always thought that Master Minded was just a bit overhyped anyway. His first Champion Chase was a bit of a freak in my view. He bolted up against Voy Por Ustedes and everyone overreacted and proclaimed him as the second coming. He got a rating of 186 for that run, then he went to Liverpool though and that form was turned on its head. Voy Por Ustedes is a game and consistent little horse but he is probably a stone shy of the likes of Moscow Flyer, Azertyioup and Well Chief from their best in 2004/5. Master Minded never ran against horses of that class and it is hard to quantify his ability as a result.

Big Zeb tried to take the last with him at Punchestown that day and he would have undoubtedly beaten Master Minded had he jumped it better. He is an extremely talented animal but I think he is just a bit thick. He doesn't know how to get in close and pop at a fence when he is not meeting it on a good stride. He just maintains his stride pattern and gallops on through the birch. If he jumps like he did at Navan I'd expect him to win tomorrow but I suspect them Railway fences down the back straight might catch him out.

I'm a huge Well Chief fan but I'm not sure he represents much value tomorrow. Mahogony Blaze and Newmill were far too close for my liking at Cheltenham. Twist Magic is no value either, he has about ten different ways of running and if he wasn't a Nicholls/Walsh combo he'd be two or three times his current price.

That leaves me with Forpadydeplasterer who is far too big at 7/1-13/2. The ground isn't ideal but it won't be anywhere near what he encounters over here and he got through it fine at Leopardstown twice last year. There's no pace in this race tomorrow and I'd be surprised if McCoy doesn't try and make all. The horse showed in the Arkle that he jumps and stays and if he is still in front jumping that Pond fence the rest could be in trouble. Kalahari King was flying jumping the last in the Arkle but he just couldn't get past Forpadydeplasterer up the hill no matter how hard he tried. He is the only one of this field that is unexposed an capable of further improvement. The very least I'm expecting of him tomorrow is a good run for my money.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Donnellys Hollow

That's why Ruby is the best in the business. Got Twist Magic on a going day and rode the rest of them to sleep from the front. Wouldn't trust that horse as far as I could throw him though. He'll probably go off odds on next time out and be pulled up.

Big Zeb jumped like a mule down the back and Well Chief isn't within two stone of where he was five years ago which is understandable. Happy enough with Forpadydeplasterer's run. I got the place money anyway. He couldn't go with Twist Magic down the back but that was his first run out of novice company really given that the race up North was against second season chasers. He'll come on for the experience and improve for better ground. I think Tom Cooper will be tempted to give him a crack at the Champion Chase now given Master Minded's problems.

charlieTully

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 05, 2009, 02:42:39 PM
That's why Ruby is the best in the business. Got Twist Magic on a going day and rode the rest of them to sleep from the front. Wouldn't trust that horse as far as I could throw him though. He'll probably go off odds on next time out and be pulled up.

Big Zeb jumped like a mule down the back and Well Chief isn't within two stone of where he was five years ago which is understandable. Happy enough with Forpadydeplasterer's run. I got the place money anyway. He couldn't go with Twist Magic down the back but that was his first run out of novice company really given that the race up North was against second season chasers. He'll come on for the experience and improve for better ground. I think Tom Cooper will be tempted to give him a crack at the Champion Chase now given Master Minded's problems.

your being a bit harsh on twist magic, won the tingle creek two years back, admittedly does not like cheltenham but horses for courses.

Donnellys Hollow

I don't think I am being too harsh on him. He obviously has ability but he is fustratingly inconsistent and I doubt he'll run up to anywhere near this form for the rest of the season.

Remember last year when he came down two out in the Tingle Creek when still holding every chance, he went to Kempton over Christmas for the Desert Orchid Chase and he was sent off a well-backed jolly. He then went and planted himself at the start, only consented to take part after three or four attempts to line up and ran like a hairy goat against a field of moderate Grade 2 horses.

He'll probably be a short-price favourite next time out and I'd certainly want to be a layer if he was running against anything of note. Ruby won't be available for the Kempton race again this year. Do you think someone like Christian Williams or Nick Schofield would give this horse as tactically an astute a ride as Ruby gave him today?

charlieTully

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 05, 2009, 05:29:06 PM
I don't think I am being too harsh on him. He obviously has ability but he is fustratingly inconsistent and I doubt he'll run up to anywhere near this form for the rest of the season.

Remember last year when he came down two out in the Tingle Creek when still holding every chance, he went to Kempton over Christmas for the Desert Orchid Chase and he was sent off a well-backed jolly. He then went and planted himself at the start, only consented to take part after three or four attempts to line up and ran like a hairy goat against a field of moderate Grade 2 horses.

He'll probably be a short-price favourite next time out and I'd certainly want to be a layer if he was running against anything of note. Ruby won't be available for the Kempton race again this year. Do you think someone like Christian Williams or Nick Schofield would give this horse as tactically an astute a ride as Ruby gave him today?

I have made my money on him today, i wont back him again this year, but two tingle creeks is a pretty good achievment. agree with you on ruby, a true master.

Donnellys Hollow

Clonmel is off tomorrow. Pity, because next year's Triumph Hurdle winner was down to run there  ;)

The John Durkan at Punchestown looks a fine contest. Couldn't rule any of the field out but I'd have a slight preference for Aran Concerto. Doubt I'll have a bet in the race.

Knockara Beau and Money Trix could well be worth a double at Kelso. Knockara Beau was a high class novice hurdler and I feel he is slightly under the radar as a novice chaser. Wouldn't surprise me if he won a big prize this year at a big price. The Czech lad that rides him isn't that well known but I've been very impressed with him whenever I've seen him. Money Trix is a fragile old horse but on his day he's a bloody good animal. If Richards is serious about running him in the Lexus then he should win this handily.

Might give Copper Bleu another chance at Warwick if the price is right. Hobbs' horses are a bit in and out at the moment but his novice chasers usually improve a lot for their seasonal reappearnce.

sammymaguire

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 06, 2009, 01:07:54 AM
Clonmel is off tomorrow. Pity, because next year's Triumph Hurdle winner was down to run there  ;)

spill the beans DH... nice new avatar by the way
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Alaivan - Edward O'Grady & Thomas Barr. Picked up for a tidy sum from John Oxx's.

Knockara Beau now 1/5 with the only other threat in the race Gansey a NR.  ::)

sammymaguire

cheers, i'll keep an eye out for that one

Spiritual Guidance - 3.40 fancied to win (travelled ok, no turn of foot)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

sammymaguire

on a dodgy run but told to follow these this afternoon  ???

Le Chiffe 2.30
Sea Venture 2.50
Iguacu 3.30
Fandango Boy 4.40

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Mickey Linden

What did u make of Joncols performance yesterday? I have been very impressed by this horse and I think he will be the one to beat in the Lexus. He is still a very young horse and could be a potential Gold Cup horse!