The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Plenty of good punting opportunites this weekend. Might as well throw up a few selections.

Newmarket - Saturday:

Bolger is going for four in a row in the Dewhurst (2:25) with Chabal who I think will win. The horse that interests me in the race though is Steinbeck. He bolted up in a maiden at Naas in May and hasn't been seen since. He might not be ready for tomorrow but I think he's excellent value for next year's 2000 Guineas at 12/1. The English 2yo form this year is putrid and I don't think the likes of Canford Cliffs and Arcano are champions in waiting. St Nicholas Abbey is the best 2yo I've seen over here but he's a middle distance horse. Both Kingsfort and Chabal are off to Godolphin for their 3yo careers and I've no doubt they'll manage to fcuk both of them up in Dubai. Steinbeck is Ballydoyle's Guineas horse and I'd be confident he'll emulate his father Footstepsinthesand next May.

The Cesarewitch (3:40) isn't the kind of race I'd usually bother with but I noticed that one of my old favourites Silk Affair is running. I've followed this mare for a long time and she rewarded me in spades when winning the Fred Winter at Cheltenham. She's tough as nails and stays all day. She's 25/1 at the moment and I think she might place.

Cheltenham - Saturday:

Kangaroo Court runs in the novice chase at 5:00. He was a decent novice hurdler last year but always shaped like a chaser. He's a point-to-point winner and broke his maiden over fences nicely at Uttoxeter last time out. Should be straightforward for him here.

Cork - Sunday:

Imperial Cascade makes his hurdling debut in the 2:45. He won the prestigious Land Rover Bumper at Punchestown last April so he should have way too many guns for this lot.

There have been a few classy hurdlers going over the larger obstacles already this year and Catch Me makes his chasing bow in the 5:25. The ground might be quick enough for him but he'd pick this lot up and carry them over hurdles. O'Grady will have him well schooled and if he jumps round he should win easily.

Naas - Sunday:

Noel Meade is in great form at the moment and he runs Silverhand in the Kill Hurdle (4:05). The horse has been in great form on the flat in the staying handicaps. If he can carry his improvement on the flat back over hurdles than he'll be hard to beat.

Kempton - Sunday:

Howard Johnson looks to have found a nice race to start Red Moloney off in the 4:35. He was only beaten 5L in the Supreme Novices at Cheltenham behind Go Native. The fact that Johnson is sending him all the way down to Kempton rather than waiting for the conditions hurdle up at Aintree at the Old Roan meeting suggests to me that he'll be spot on for his reapparance on Sunday.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hardy

For those who like stats, value each-way selections for the Dewhurst based on stats are -

Maroon Machine 40/1, 55 on Betfair, 12.5 for the place
Manhattan Fox 66/1, 120 on Betfair, 15 for the place

Lecale2

Word for Aspectoflove in the 5.05.

WaterBoy

Mama says that foos-ball is the devil

Lecale2

I got 9s. Any body else take a price?

sammymaguire

good shout on Aspect  ;)
http://www.attheraces.com/article.aspx?hlid=503723&raceid=241663&title=Will+Lattimore&lid=&ref=Nav+-+Default+Sub&nav=&sub=&day=

4:40 Pontefract
Bollin Dolly @ 5/1 - (winner)
5:00 Windsor
Cadeaux Fax (NAP) @ 4/1  should be very solid e/w - (surface caught it out)
5:30 Windsor
Aestival  @ 9/4 really fancied (something went badly wrong in running)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Good work on Bollin Dolly Sam.

I see most firms have priced up St Nicholas Abbey at 9/4 for the Racing Post Trophy at Doncaster next Saturday. I think that price is an absolute gift from the gods and the horse will go off odds on. I've already tipped this horse up for next year's Derby when he was freely available at double figure odds (see page 180).

The Dewhurst proved yet again that the English 2yo colts are muck this year and I've a feeling that Ballydoyle will clean up in the classics next year. I'm more of a NH man myself but I'm very happy to have antepost slips on both Steinbeck (2000 Guineas) and St Nicholas Abbey (Epsom Derby) facing into the winter. There'll be no Sea The Stars standing in Aidan's way next year no matter how much money Sheikh Mohammed throws at Jim Bolger and Kevin Prendergast for their 2yos!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

rossie mad

Do you fancy anything today sammy?

Henderson and Mcoy let me down yesterday.

Thanks to you and bollin dolly it wasnt a lost cause. ;)

sammymaguire

at least you didn't lump on Aestival which had problems.
I'll take a proper look at lunch time but 2.30 baby dottie 11/4 and 3.00 oil strike 13/8 @ Lingfield look good.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

rossie mad

Think i might stick with the mccoy and henderson combination again in thr 5.10 flat race at exeter. Tetlami is currently 11/4.

Going to back Aktia in the 2.50 at yarmouth as well.
its a maiden but this horse should come on from its last run if nothing hops out of the woodwork which sometimes happens in these races. Currently 4/1 with fallon on board.

My each way punt today is Ours in exeter at 4.40.
At 8/1 should finish in the top three and as a wee chance.
Eight horses in the race so unless there is a non runner a good chance to recoup your money.

Did fallon ride any winner yesterday?
Had a fiver at 5/1 that he wouldnt but i got no paper yet.

Clown

he rode 1 winner at least
he was on the favourite in the 3.40 but was beaten but won the next race on an outsider if i remember ritely

rossie mad

There goes that small hope of a small profit.

He was 13/8 to have exactly one winner.

maddog

Looking forward to seeing this thing out at Chepstow on Saturday. Nicholls has been quoted as saying if there is a new Denman this is it

Aiteen Thirtythree

sammymaguire

Bermondsey Girl 4:50 Yarmouth
Rule of Nature 3.20 Yarmouth

two singles and a double on these as the word is good. Charlie Wall's runner in the 5.20 is also fancied as a strong e/w hope

Rebel Du Marquis 2.40 Exeter strongly fancied and being backed... also 2.00 Lingfield Fivefold @ 16/1 worth £2.50 e/w

just been told Arte Viva is well fancied in the next at Yarmouth too... I will use my winnings off 5fold to back it  :-\
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!