The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

It's a desperately poor Champion Hurdle. A peak Annie Power will win it.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

stiffler

What's the chances of vautour running in the Ryanair chase instead of gold cup ?

Surely the gold cup is too much of a step up in distance ? Although rich ricci has made it clear he's wants the big one.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

50fiftyball

Few friends at the Cheltenham preview night last night (held by Sean Graham & Paddy Power) and 5/6 men at the top table swore by Thistlecrack. Hardly helpful infol!!

Declan

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: stiffler on March 08, 2016, 07:59:07 PM
What's the chances of vautour running in the Ryanair chase instead of gold cup ?

Surely the gold cup is too much of a step up in distance ? Although rich ricci has made it clear he's wants the big one.

Gangster supposedly thrashed Vautour in a schooling race at Punchestown a few weeks ago and that's where the negative vibes started to build from. That could be true or it could be Davy Russell spinning a few yarns on the preview night circuit - there's not a hotel, conference centre, parish hall or pub in the land that Davy hasn't tipped up a different horse in over the last fortnight!

Vautour was the best horse in the King George and he stayed fine that day. I know Walsh feels he made too much use of him during the middle of the race that day and expect different tactics next week. He came on a tonne from Ascot to Kempton and I'd expect a similar leap returning to Cheltenham. He never seems to excel at Christmas time or going right handed. He's supposed to have worked well at the Curragh over the last few days having a nice spin up the Old Vic.

I'm 50/50 over whether he will stay the extra two and a bit furlongs but I'm finding it hard to make a strong case for anything against him. I can't see Walsh giving Cue Card a target to aim at this time and I expect he will comfortably improve past him. Don Poli will need the heavens to open. He simply won't have the gears on good-to-soft ground. Djakadam has missed a fair chunk of work after his fall in the Pillar and his prep has been a bit rushed. Don Cossack is an enigma and is more likely to dog it than he is to put is best foot forward.

Aaron Boone

What's the story with these Cheltenham preview nights, is it a racket by now?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 11, 2016, 10:57:50 PM
What's the story with these Cheltenham preview nights, is it a racket by now?

Most of them are in aid of a charity.

Milltown Row2

Got a tip for Cheltenham... Townsend?? Any views on it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

beer baron

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 12, 2016, 08:38:17 AM
Got a tip for Cheltenham... Townsend?? Any views on it?

Townshend, big talking horse from the Mullins yard, tanked through his race last time on his 1st run for Mullins before emptying and not knocked about by Ruby behind some in form rivals. That was over 2m4 on heavy. With how keen he travelled the drop back in trip and pace of the county will suit. Wouldn't put you off. From my understanding they felt he'd be good enough to be contesting the graded Novice races at the festival so his mark's lenient if that's true.

Think Nicholls and Pipe could do decent in the handicaps this season, few of their horses have been plummeting down the handicap. Salubrious in particular for Nicholls interests me wherever he goes,managed to get dropped 8lb in 3 runs since December. Down to a very fair mark of 140 over fences having previously won the Martin Pipe off 141  a few seasons back and he has shown ability over fences.

Donnellys Hollow

I don't think Townshend will get into the County Hurdle.

Squouateur, the horse who won that Fairyhouse race, is worth following.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 12, 2016, 01:00:22 PM
I don't think Townshend will get into the County Hurdle.

Squouateur, the horse who won that Fairyhouse race, is worth following.
Heard it from a man who knew a man  ;D..... Some craic when Cheltenham comes round!! Everyone knows a tip
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RealSpiritof98

SNH: Bellshill
Arkle: Douvan - game changer W/O
UHC: theatre guide
Champ Hurdle: Nichols canyon
Mares: Vroom Vroom mag
NHC: Vieux lion rouge
Novices handi chase: Ballyalton

Just for the craic here my picks for tomorrow.

The Worker

Vautour confirmed for the Ryanair.

beer baron

Funny old days racing,finding it hard to find anything i'm particularly strong on, probably have only 2 bets one in the Supreme and one in the 4 miler.

Tombstone has been there or thereabouts all winter but hasn't won in  graded company yet,was slightly disappointed with him last time behind Bleu et Rouge when he came with every chance but looked a bit soft in the finish but i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt the combination of heavy ground and 2mile 2 furlong meant he was at the end of his tether when he arrived there, was noticeable that day he was a big drifter too so there might've been plenty left to work on.  Elliott's adamant the better ground will suit and i'd say he'll be dropped in and be arriving between the last 2,hopefully picking up nicely. Min looks like he could be a real good animal and his jumping in particular has been brilliant but he's just too keen for my liking and Altior might want a bit further.

In the 4 miler i'm surprised Pont Alexandra is available at double figures,looks a thorough stayer to my eyes and hopefully Paddy isn't afraid of going on with him and using his jumping if there's no pace, not a race for much confidence but think he's a fair e/w chance at the price.

Good luck to everyone and hopefully we all make a few bob.

beer baron

Altior was class. Flew up the hill.