The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

Fair play to him, 4 horses laid out for the gamble. Fermanagh's finest.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: FermGael on January 22, 2014, 06:45:16 PM
Barney, Barney, Barney. He has done it again. Bookie bashing

If only Quinn had invested in his fellow Fermanagh man instead of Anglo.

Tremendous coup. Bravo Barney.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

beer baron

What a job landed,i heard about it this morning but seen too many of these gambles being bull to bother my arse joining in but still cheered the last 1 home, be fun to see how many bookies try delay payment  to the boys with the bigger money on at the best prices.

Lecale2

Why is Darroun running at Wolverhampton tonight? Strange one. Might be worth an interest.

illdecide

Quote from: Lecale2 on January 24, 2014, 07:49:14 AM
Why is Darroun running at Wolverhampton tonight? Strange one. Might be worth an interest.

16/1 outsider in the race? Do you know something the bookies don't
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

deiseach

It never ceases to amaze me how the ordinary punter views this kind of stunt as a triumph. Everyone else who bet on those races was robbed.

haveaharp

Quote from: deiseach on January 24, 2014, 12:12:08 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how the ordinary punter views this kind of stunt as a triumph. Everyone else who bet on those races was robbed.

How so ?

beer baron

deiseach if you ever try and land a handicap with 1 horse and see the effort that goes into it you'll realise just how outstanding an achievement it is to get all them horses to a nice mark and pick the right race and get them all there sound on the day, It's the work of a genius.

deiseach

Quote from: beer baron on January 24, 2014, 12:27:52 PM
deiseach if you ever try and land a handicap with 1 horse and see the effort that goes into it you'll realise just how outstanding an achievement it is to get all them horses to a nice mark and pick the right race and get them all there sound on the day, It's the work of a genius.

I've no doubt it's brilliant. But insider trading on the stock exchange can be brilliant too.

haveaharp

Precisely. I heard a few bookies on the radio the other day crying about how the other punters were hoodwinked backing different horses in good faith. They arent too concerned about the other punters any other day of the week. If they want it to be all fair and lovely, would they like all races to go down the non handicap route and everyone off level weights. That would be fairer to the punter but somehow i dont think the bookies would like this. Hell slap it up them and fair play to anyone that got on it in any shape or form.

deiseach

Quote from: haveaharp on January 24, 2014, 12:23:56 PM
Quote from: deiseach on January 24, 2014, 12:12:08 PM

How so ?

You can't see anything wrong with this? It's insider trading. The average punter has no way of knowing that Curley's horses are really well up to the task rather than out-of-shape nags. Now, I realise this is considered acceptable behaviour in the horse racing world. For those of us on the outside looking in, it confirms to us a sport that is bent.

deiseach

Quote from: haveaharp on January 24, 2014, 12:43:37 PM

Precisely. I heard a few bookies on the radio the other day crying about how the other punters were hoodwinked backing different horses in good faith. They arent too concerned about the other punters any other day of the week. If they want it to be all fair and lovely, would they like all races to go down the non handicap route and everyone off level weights. That would be fairer to the punter but somehow i dont think the bookies would like this. Hell slap it up them and fair play to anyone that got on it in any shape or form.

That's how Barney Curley gets away with it. Shure it's only the bookies he's ripping off. But the bookies will get their money back the only way they now how - by ripping off the punter some more.

deiseach

I see the BHA are thinking about investigating:

QuoteRobin Mounsey, spokesman for the British Horseracing Authority, said a review into the previous performances of the horses concerned is still in progress.

"We take any issue which might affect the betting public's perception of the sport seriously and would act if, and only if, breaches of the rules of racing could be established," Mounsey said.

"Our integrity team was aware of, and closely monitored, Wednesday's sequence of events from their outset, including liaising with the stewards at each of the courses as to the betting patterns and other information, and are now collating the full set of circumstances. As part of this process we will be reviewing the previous rides given to these horses to establish whether any breaches of the rules might have been committed."

A case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, if ever there was one.

beer baron

Quote from: deiseach on January 24, 2014, 12:54:19 PM
I see the BHA are thinking about investigating:

QuoteRobin Mounsey, spokesman for the British Horseracing Authority, said a review into the previous performances of the horses concerned is still in progress.

"We take any issue which might affect the betting public's perception of the sport seriously and would act if, and only if, breaches of the rules of racing could be established," Mounsey said.

"Our integrity team was aware of, and closely monitored, Wednesday's sequence of events from their outset, including liaising with the stewards at each of the courses as to the betting patterns and other information, and are now collating the full set of circumstances. As part of this process we will be reviewing the previous rides given to these horses to establish whether any breaches of the rules might have been committed."

A case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, if ever there was one.

No rules broken and they know it,just trying to make it look like they're busy  ;D

Any punter that cleans the bookies to me is doing a good job,i don't know what it was like 20 or 30 years ago but apparently you could get good bets on with almost any bookmakers and it was a bit of a duel between punter and bookie,these days all the odds are stacked in the bookies favour with the technology at their disposal and you'd do well to get 100 e/w on a decent priced horse these days and they'll shut your online accounts if you look like making a profit consistently,yet if you were to walk in with a few hundred quid and asked to put it on a cartoon race you'll have no problem whatsoever  ::) 

deiseach

Quote from: beer baron on January 24, 2014, 01:32:15 PM
No rules broken and they know it,just trying to make it look like they're busy  ;D

Any punter that cleans the bookies to me is doing a good job,i don't know what it was like 20 or 30 years ago but apparently you could get good bets on with almost any bookmakers and it was a bit of a duel between punter and bookie,these days all the odds are stacked in the bookies favour with the technology at their disposal and you'd do well to get 100 e/w on a decent priced horse these days and they'll shut your online accounts if you look like making a profit consistently,yet if you were to walk in with a few hundred quid and asked to put it on a cartoon race you'll have no problem whatsoever  ::)

I see what you are saying. Thanks for the informed feedback.