The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 27, 2013, 06:03:00 PM
Richard Hughes was positively purring about him before Christmas. He was joking that Dessie should put him away for a flat campaign so that he can come over and ride him. They were adamant he was going to beat Blood Cotil on Stephen's Day but he was coughing on Christmas Eve and was declared a NR.

Good man Dickie!

The week was an incredible rollercoaster of emotions. Sporting theatre at its finest but your heart would go out to the family of John Thomas and the struggle that lies ahead of them. I'm fortunate to be flying home with a full wallet after a great day today and I will be donating some of my winnings to the Injured Jockey's Fund. We've all cursed a few jockeys down the years but those lads put their bodies on the line on a daily basis. They're sportsmen we can all be proud of.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hardy

Well said and, more importantly, well done DH.

beer baron

Ha,that was some shambles of an attempt at a coup at Wolvs!

ardchieftain

First off, i would like to wish JT all the best in his recovery.

Had my best day EVER at Cheltenham today. 4 winners, but more importantly, i had them in an acca. Was waiting on Salsify, had my head in my hand after they jumped the last, then all hell broke loose in the pub. Took me a minute or more to realise that i'd had my biggest win ever. I'm still in shock. so much so that i had to get a taxi home, rather than go on the piss. I feel like i should do something nice for that wee girl who fell off, she done me one serious favour.

The father of the lad leading Bobs Worth round was in the pub today and got word that the rain was a big worry, so was great to see him win.

Think i might have  a few pints after the Armagh match tomorrow..............

orangeman

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 15, 2013, 06:54:13 PM
Richard Hughes was positively purring about him before Christmas. He was joking that Dessie should put him away for a flat campaign so that he can come over and ride him. They were adamant he was going to beat Blood Cotil on Stephen's Day but he was coughing on Christmas Eve and was declared a NR.

Good man Dickie!

The week was an incredible rollercoaster of emotions. Sporting theatre at its finest but your heart would go out to the family of John Thomas and the struggle that lies ahead of them. I'm fortunate to be flying home with a full wallet after a great day today and I will be donating some of my winnings to the Injured Jockey's Fund. We've all cursed a few jockeys down the years but those lads put their bodies on the line on a daily basis. They're sportsmen we can all be proud of.

Hope he recovers as fully as possible.

They're definitely great men and women.

Mickey Linden

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 15, 2013, 06:54:13 PM

Good man Dickie!

Very good post DH! Just a quick note on that. A few posters that I know well pledged 400 between them this evening to the children's cancer unit in Belfast. Good to keep perspective when we are blessed with good luck! It's a very thin line between sucess and sheer bad luck at this game!

sammymaguire

Totally freakish. I was on Oscar Delta and was counting the winnings as it was going best of the 2 leaders but I recall something like this happening to an Oliver Brady horse when it got spooked a few years ago in similar circumstances at railings - that's the harsh reality of racing  :'(
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

boojangles

Rollercoaster week is right. Firstly thoughts and prayers with JT. Please God he makes a full recovery. It was hard not to be moved watching JP Mc Manus being interviewed after At Fishers Cross's win. It must be an incredible range of emotions he was feeling and it showed the other side of the man.
Secondly I am thrilled for Hurricane Fly. Unlike last year I didn't put my shirt on him but even if I had no money on the horse I would still have been roaring him home. The horse is an absolute superstar and I'm sure it was even sweeter for connections considering the critics and doubters.
As a gambler Cheltenham is an experience like no other. Like Hardy mentioned, you may have that nagging feeling about a horse or that something is going to beat your selection but you just can't bring yourself to change from a horse that you may have been following all season. I had a nagging feeling about Cue Card but I couldn't change my mind on First Lieutenant as I have followed the horse ever since DH raved about him well over 2 years ago. Blinded loyalty some would call it. I prefer to call it courage in my convictions! Looking forward to Punchestown already!

oakleafgael

Our Conor will be racing in new colours next year if the stories are to be believed.

Donnellys Hollow

It's getting worse than the flat. Connell must have a huge cheque-book. He has paid crazy money for Minsk, Mount Benbulben, Golantilla and Old Kilcash.

Donnellys Hollow

QuoteAn update on JT McNamara, who has "serious" vertebral damage but has thankfully not suffered a brain injury.

A statement on behalf of the McNamara Family from Dr Adrian McGoldrick, senior medical officer at the Turf Club, and Lisa Hancock, chief executive of the Injured Jockeys Fund: "JT McNamara remains in the Intensive Care Unit at Frenchay Hospital, Bristol. He is in a stable condition and his level of sedation is being reduced.

"Whilst his vertebral damage remains serious, he has not suffered a brain injury. His wife Caroline and family very much appreciate all the messages, cards and letters that have been received. There will be no further update this week."

washed_up

Better news at least for all concerned hopefully more to come in the days and weeks ahead- thanks.

Donnellys Hollow

I was saddened to hear the news this morning that the voice of racing has suffered a stroke. I saw him interviewed only a few months ago and he looked in great shape for a man of his years.

barelegs

Prince De Beauchene is out of the Grand National. Was drifting massively on the exchanges earlier and Willie Mullins has confirmed that he has a small stress fracture.