The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieTully

Quote from: Hardy on February 09, 2013, 03:31:30 PM
Flemenstar looked, to me, not interested in getting stuck in there. Head in the air, he seemed to have plenty left but not willing to give it.

why did Lynch not push on after the second last? fucked up a treble i had with champagne fever and boston bob.

maddog

Quote from: charlieTully on February 09, 2013, 04:05:54 PM
Quote from: Hardy on February 09, 2013, 03:31:30 PM
Flemenstar looked, to me, not interested in getting stuck in there. Head in the air, he seemed to have plenty left but not willing to give it.

why did Lynch not push on after the second last? fucked up a treble i had with champagne fever and boston bob.

Id imagine because he is a suspect stayer, Russell knew by the bend he had to run Flemenstars petrol gauge to empty, to be fair he didnt empty like i hoped he would (backed sir des champs) but add another furlong i dont think it was going to change the result. Caseys son on now saying no to Gold cup but not his decision. Would be some race between him and Sprinter Sacre if he was let off to bowl along in front.

TacadoirArdMhacha

There was a danger of the Champion Chase being so bereft of quality that it would amount to little more than a schooling session for Sprinter Sacre. Hopefully Flemenstar, Sizing Europe and Finian's Rainbow line up so that Srinter Sacre can earn his crown.

Can't have Silviniaco Conti for the Gold Cup and given that Bob's Worth missed the Argento with a setback, I'd rather Sir Des Champs at the prices.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

TacadoirArdMhacha

Was reading a decent article there about the controversy regarding Paul Carberry's ride on Harchibald in the 2005 Champion Hurdle. I wasn't particularly into racing at the time but do any of our resident experts have any stromg views?

http://betting.betfair.com/horse-racing/timeform-debate/big-meeting-memories/cheltenham-memories-hardy-fends-off-harchibald-in-champion-hurdle-050213-548.html

The evidence;

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XigT5dQg8TY

Donnellys Hollow

It was a very good ride. The horse barely stayed a yard over two miles. All his best performances were on flat tracks like Newcastle and Kempton on goodish ground. Had Carberry gone for him turning in he would have been beaten a distant third. He split two Champion Hurdlers and the horse in front of him is the toughest hurdler in over thirty years to my mind.

Harchibald lost that race at the second last. He jumps it too well past Back In Front and lands on the heels of the leaders. To make matters worse Barry Cash angles Brave Inca away from Hardy Eustace and Carberry is left without cover coming down to the last. He wanted that gap at the back of the last, not before it.

That was a once in a lifetime generation of Irish hurdlers. The first five home were Irish trained.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Flemenstar very likely to miss the festival now it seems  :(

beer baron

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/2/8495270/tidal-top-weight-in-national

I'm no expert on the whole handicapping process,but how in Gods green earth can Tidal bay be set to run off 9 pounds lower than his official rating  ???
Has Phil Smith had a few bob on antepost?  ::)

Donnellys Hollow

Phil Smith is a law unto himself.

bcarrier

Phil smiths tinkering undone now ...Tidal bay out.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: bcarrier on February 14, 2013, 09:58:49 PM
Phil smiths tinkering undone now ...Tidal bay out.

4th last year and off a lower mark this time round, Cappa Bleu ran a decent trial for Liverpool this afternoon. Teaforthree weakened significantly in the trial, stays at least 4 miles so something must have been awry.

Donnellys Hollow

Aidan and Anne-Marie O'Brien have registered eight NH horses in recent weeks. Two of them run in the 4yo bumper at Punchestown tomorrow - Egyptian Warrior and Shield.

Donnellys Hollow

That pair won't be emulating Istabraq anyway!

Don Johnson

Anyone seen any good specials lately for the festival?

Mate was telling me Powers are going 20/1 for the Fly, Quevega & Pont Alexandre to win.

I have already the Fly and Pont Alexandre backed antepost so I think I will have a couple quid on the treble as well for the craic.

Pays about 15-16/1 for the best prices anyway.

What's everyones thoughts on the best jockey? Was looking at it today, Ruby looks to have a good set of rides: Fly, Quevega, Pont Alexandre, Silviniaco Conti then the likes of Unioniste, Fago maybe? Nicholls also has the favourite for 4/5 of the handicaps, then whatever he takes from Mullins' horses.

He has the festival experience as well of course. 6/4 second favourite behind Geraghty at the minute.

charlieTully

Quote from: Don Johnson on February 21, 2013, 05:10:51 PM
Anyone seen any good specials lately for the festival?

Mate was telling me Powers are going 20/1 for the Fly, Quevega & Pont Alexandre to win.

I have already the Fly and Pont Alexandre backed antepost so I think I will have a couple quid on the treble as well for the craic.

Pays about 15-16/1 for the best prices anyway.

What's everyones thoughts on the best jockey? Was looking at it today, Ruby looks to have a good set of rides: Fly, Quevega, Pont Alexandre, Silviniaco Conti then the likes of Unioniste, Fago maybe? Nicholls also has the favourite for 4/5 of the handicaps, then whatever he takes from Mullins' horses.

He has the festival experience as well of course. 6/4 second favourite behind Geraghty at the minute.

have done a treble on the fly, jezki, and quevega, pays just under 20/1, would be sweet, but so hard to get them at cheltenham.