The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Good stuff, backed him at 5s at Christmas and then doubled up when he drifted to 11s
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Mickey Linden on March 07, 2012, 01:06:06 PM
I was wondering if you had any update on Distant memories DH? I know he is long odds on Betfair but cant see anywhere that hes def not going to run in the Supreme? Could this be a horse that is going to slip under radar?

He's among the 33 entries at the 5 day stage so we might get a run for our money yet. Taaffe is usually on the panel at the Maynooth preview night so hopefully I'll have more to report later on.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

beer baron

Ruby's Evens to be top Jock at the festival this year on Ladbrokes for an hour-great price!

bcarrier

I'd say Distant Memories will run. Doesnt look like a great race this year. 8/10 ten winners won their prep run and 9/10 ran within 45 days.  On trends its between Allure Of Illusion, Galileo's Choice, Montbazon & Tetlami. Cant say I like any of them.

Donnellys Hollow

Plan is to run Distant Memories I think but not sure how the balloting works over in England. He only has a maiden win to his name so I'm not certain he'll get in.

Tetlami is one who I think is underrated. His Sandown and Kempton form stacks up quite well and he shapes as if he'll relish the test of the hill. Can't understand how he's so much bigger than Darlan in the market. He looks a bridle horse to me.

Donnellys Hollow

Preview nights gossip/rumours*

*Disclaimer: paying attention to the following information may lose you money......

• JP thinks Darlan is his best bet at the meeting - everyone else out to oppose him
  • Mullins reported that Midnight Game didn't work well yesterday
  • Sprinter Sacre is the second coming
  • Hurricane Fly will be on the ferry home before the rest finish
  • Quevega in good order and will possibly make the same sailing
  • Tony Martin fancies Saddlers Storm to run a big race in the Cross Country
  • Boston Bob runs in the Albert Bartlett and is a Gold Cup horse in waiting
  • Grands Crus to go for the Gold Cup this year but would only stay 3m2 in the back of a horsebox
  • Mullins leaning towards the Jewson with Sir Des Champs
  • Colm Murphy's yard has a virus - big negative for Big Zeb
  • Sizing Europe is unopposable
  • Philip Hobbs' horses should also be avoided
  • Irish horses in the bumper are donkeys, Mosow Mannon over the top and worked poorly at Navan recently
  • Peddlers Cross is not right and should be opposed
  • Salsify the best Irish hunter chaser
  • Kauto Star should not be backed with counterfit
  • Long Run the most likely winner but the dentist is useless

sammymaguire

Cheers DH. Some interesting comments amongst that lot... I do hope you are wrong about Moscow and Kauto too ......
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Radda bout yeee

Just a quick question will quevega and big bucks both run world hurdle? If so then that would void the pp ruby special??

Mickey Linden

Its pure fustrating how secretive these trainers are. Are we supposed to believe that Willie Mullins doesnt know which races hes going to run his best horses in next week or that David Pipe doesnt know if Grand Crus will run the Gold Cup? Id say Pipe has thought about little else for months. Doubt he is going to flick a coin this weekend to decide.

RealSpiritof98

Grand Crus has tightened up overnight in the RSA and drifted in the GC. so  ???

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: sammymaguire on March 09, 2012, 07:09:06 AM
Cheers DH. Some interesting comments amongst that lot... I do hope you are wrong about Moscow and Kauto too ......

Not my opinions only what I've been hearing and reading. Both Ted Walsh jnr and Gordon Elliott were very dismissive of Moscow Mannon after his gallop at Navan. Said he completely boiled over and worked himself into a right lather.

Quote from: Mickey Linden on March 09, 2012, 11:08:24 AM
Its pure fustrating how secretive these trainers are. Are we supposed to believe that Willie Mullins doesnt know which races hes going to run his best horses in next week or that David Pipe doesnt know if Grand Crus will run the Gold Cup? Id say Pipe has thought about little else for months. Doubt he is going to flick a coin this weekend to decide.

In fairness to the trainers I'd prefer them to be non-committal (not that it really matters now with NRNB) than to do what McCain did last week. In most cases it's the owners that dictate where the horse runs. Noel Meade didn't want to run Pandorama last year when the ground came up quick on the Friday but the owner insisted.

Mickey Linden

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 09, 2012, 11:52:26 AM
Quote from: sammymaguire on March 09, 2012, 07:09:06 AM

Not my opinions only what I've been hearing and reading. Both Ted Walsh jnr and Gordon Elliott were very dismissive of Moscow Mannon after his gallop at Navan. Said he completely boiled over and worked himself into a right lather.

Quote from: Mickey Linden on March 09, 2012, 11:08:24 AM

In fairness to the trainers I'd prefer them to be non-committal (not that it really matters now with NRNB) than to do what McCain did last week. In most cases it's the owners that dictate where the horse runs. Noel Meade didn't want to run Pandorama last year when the ground came up quick on the Friday but the owner insisted.

I understand your point in relation to NRNB Donnelly from a gambling view but Im just thinking about the sporting perspective. Its hard for racing to promote its biggest festival when its yet to be decided which horses run in which races. Racing should be fit to promote the clash of the young pretender Grand Crus v Kauto and Long run or whatever the case may be. For the general public to not have a clue which horse is going for which race at this late stage is farcial IMO. 

leenie

have not been on the board in a life time but was wondering if ye are doing the cheltenham buster again....?
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..