The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcarrier

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on March 02, 2012, 10:02:10 AM
What would happen with the PP 4 time ruby special if Kauto doesn't go?

bet loses

bcarrier

Quote from: beer baron on March 01, 2012, 05:43:42 PM
Don i'd expect ruby to be between quel esprit or What a friend with prefence for the former!

Looking at the horses and jockey's in this http://www.fatjockey.com/cheltenham-festival/featured_cheltenham_races.php?Cheltenham-Gold-Cup-2012-16 you'd say he would be getting Daryl Jacob off What a friend. That looks like Quel Esprit's old rating in there though. Ruby didnt put anyone awy at the previews anyway said he would back Kauto at the Paddy Power one the other night.

Armaghgael

DH whats your thoughts on the Champion Bumper?
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

Don Johnson

Quote from: Armaghgael on March 04, 2012, 06:13:58 PM
DH whats your thoughts on the Champion Bumper?

Lot of people backing Moscow Mannon. I know a bookies that has taken a lot on it.

Armaghgael

The horse that won the bumper yesterday was very impressive won by 23 lengths one to watch for the future. Its hard to pick Don. I might opt for Clonbanan Lad 20/1
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

Donnellys Hollow

I have no strong opinion on the bumper at all. Don't think our best bumper horses are going to Cheltenham anymore so would expect another English winner - Mullins in particular isn't really concentrating on getting 'bumper types' anymore from what I'm observing.

If you're going to have a bet in it ignore anything you hear about a horse at any of the preview nights or wherever. With the country in the state its in everyone is desperate to get a good price for their young horse so no harm for them to be generating a bit of hype about them. Put a line through the 4yos (awful record bar Cue Card) and put a line through anything with a fancy flat pedigree because this always seems to go to a proper NH bred. Watch the replays of their runs and look for something that gallops, stays and looks like they'll improve for better ground.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

beer baron

Been told by a friend of mine William Hill are going 5/4 Hurricane fly tomorrow morning-prob only be for peanuts but just thought i'd let you lads know!

Don Johnson

Anyone know if you can get a decent bet on with McLeans? Some of their enhanced accum prices are paying way over the odds compared to other bookies but was wondering is it all just for show.

rossie mad

What about fergusons two in the bumper DH?

I like the look of that new years eve.However the form of the stable isnt as good recently as earlier in the year.

Would you pass much heed on stable form going into cheltenham DH?
For example hobbs horses cant jump a fence at the moment but alot of the so called english experts are giving some of his horses each way chances in some of the big races eg wishful thinking and captain chris.

Noel Meade had decent form this year and anything he sends over should have a squeak this year.

Mickey Linden

I liked Population and had it backed ante post. Ferguson has come out and said tho that he hopes to keep it for Aintree and will give New Years eve its chance at Cheltenham.

Donnellys Hollow

I wouldn't be keen on either New Year's Eve or Population for Cheltenham. I was actually very taken with the latter at Ascot but as Mickey says he's Liverpool bound and that will probably play to his strengths more. For whatever reason, the horses with blue blooded flat pedigrees don't do at all well in the Cheltenham bumper. Even a subsequent Ascot Gold Cup winner in Rite Of Passage was well beaten at Cheltenham. A quick glance through the sires of the recent winners of the race suggests that you need a horse with abundant stamina (Cork All Star by Fasliyev being the one exception): Astarabad, Kings Theatre, Presenting, Bob Back, Shernazar, Overbury, Flemensfirth.

Having a trainer in form is a bonus but certain trainers always seem to time it right and have their string spot on for Cheltenham - Ferdy Murphy the obvious example. I don't think any of Whateley horses who have done so well for Hobbs in the last two festivals are up to much this time around but I'd give a good shout to his Village Vic in the bumper. Snap Tie is another one of his that has been well backed recently. Meade won't have much heading over but I have already backed Monksland at 14/1 and expect a big run for my money. Everyone bangs on about his poor record at Cheltenham but he has had novice hurdle winners in the past and this horse reminds me a lot of Nicanor prior to his defeat of Denman. He's quirky enough but I think he'll improve for the big field and the strong pace that he'll get at Cheltenham. All the talk is about Boston Bob but Monksland arguably beat Lyreen Legend as impressively as the Mullins horse. Hopefully Willie will see sense and go for the three mile novice with him!  8)

beer baron

Peddlers cross out of the arkle and runs in the jewson instead

Donnellys Hollow

McCain has bottled it. Poor form considering all his fighting talk last year when he was telling anyone who would listen that this horse was the second coming. Really takes the gloss off the Arkle. Jewson me arse!

Expect a "we're going to miss Cheltenham and wait for Liverpool/Punchestown" statement in the next few days.

beer baron

I had a few quid on  him e/w at 6's so i'm not a happy camper at all-that's 2  of my ante post tickets up in smoke and noone will give me the 100/1 i'm looking for on Dylan ross in the Supreme or the  4/1 i'm looking for invictus for a place in the Rsa   :P

It's all down to Hurricane fly at this stage!

Donnellys Hollow

On the plus side it looks like Boston Bob is going for the three mile novice