The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Ciceron wins at Sandown. Comes in at 6/1, Pricewise tipped it this morning and it opened at 20s apparently. Pricewise appears to have superb consistency with his tips. Seems like most Saturdays he manages to pick out a winner at very decent odds. I would buy the Racing Post rarely enough but got it on the way down to Leopardstown for the Lexus and sure enough, he picked out Synchronised. Is it worth blindly following his picks, particularly on Saturdays, and has anybody else followed this course in the past?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Donnellys Hollow

Not the strongest renewal of the Slaney tomorrow. I strongly fancy Dedigout to tough it out. Good supporting card particularly the novice chase which looks a match between Lambro and Flemenstar. I know his best form is over further but Lambro did beat Flemenstar as a novice hurdler last spring so I'm a bit surprised that he's not favourite. Not a lot of form to go on in the bumper but could be a very informative race. Un Atout has a big reputation (Russell talking him up in the paper today) but DK's horse is impeccably bred (dam is out of the mighty Ridgewood Pearl). Jessie's horse is owned and bred by Ballymacoll and is a half-brother to Stage Gift.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Don Johnson

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 07, 2012, 03:58:07 PM
Ciceron wins at Sandown. Comes in at 6/1, Pricewise tipped it this morning and it opened at 20s apparently. Pricewise appears to have superb consistency with his tips. Seems like most Saturdays he manages to pick out a winner at very decent odds. I would buy the Racing Post rarely enough but got it on the way down to Leopardstown for the Lexus and sure enough, he picked out Synchronised. Is it worth blindly following his picks, particularly on Saturdays, and has anybody else followed this course in the past?

http://tipsterform.com/tom-segal-pricewise/

I can't remember the exact figures (Mickey Linden on the board might) but in last week's RP it gave his end of year return and it was exceptional.

I still remember backing Newmill when he won the Champion Chase from reading his tip that day, albeit he was a lucky winner that year, I think that was when Kauto fell but a 16/1 winner for a skint student was brilliant.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Don Johnson on January 07, 2012, 09:00:18 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 07, 2012, 03:58:07 PM

http://tipsterform.com/tom-segal-pricewise/

I can't remember the exact figures (Mickey Linden on the board might) but in last week's RP it gave his end of year return and it was exceptional.

One caveat to that would be that I'm sure those returns are calculated at the prices that Segal puts them up at. How many punters actually get on at those odds then though is another matter. The bookies tend to slash the prices on any of his selections straight away and a lot of his horses will then go off at an artificially short price. Anyone who is to successfully follow Segal would have to be getting on at the opening morning odds.

Don't tend to follow a tipster myself but Pat Keane in the Examiner is probably the best judge I've come across. He ghost-writes Walsh's column as well so he's well clued in to the goings on at the two most successful yards in Ireland and England.

Quote from: Don Johnson on January 07, 2012, 09:00:18 PM
I still remember backing Newmill when he won the Champion Chase from reading his tip that day, albeit he was a lucky winner that year, I think that was when Kauto fell but a 16/1 winner for a skint student was brilliant.

Recall that day well. Newmill was awesome. I backed him before he ran in the Kinloch Brae at Thurles when it was generally thought that he'd continue over hurdles after running well against the likes of Brave Inca and Harchibald earlier that season. Had a great day punting wise taking on Denman with Nicanor and Skys The Limit winning the Coral Cup hard held under top weight. The only letdown for me was Back In Front unshipping a young Paddy Flood when upsides at the second last in the Sun Alliance.

bcarrier

It was a funny days racing that DH...and lest anyone forgets Moscow finished in front of Kauto (on the only occasion they clashed).

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: bcarrier on January 07, 2012, 09:42:28 PM
It was a funny days racing that DH...and lest anyone forgets Moscow finished in front of Kauto (on the only occasion they clashed).

Gave him a right good shoeing too IIRC  ;)

Mickey Linden

Tom Segal posted over 400 points to a level stake profit last year. However, as donelly rightly says the ordinary punter will not get on at the quoted prices as bookies have been running scared of him for years. Have to give him credit all the same. He seems to be best at big handicaps and usually goes for unexposed types of a low mark. Have often thought about following him but for me it takes a bit of the fun out of it. His column is always worth a read nonetheless.

sammymaguire

I reckon the 12/1 on offer for Mart Lane is a cracking price as Shark Hanlon's horses have been flying of late and it could spring a surprise in the Slaney...

And Lambro and Hats&Heels look like they should both win tight races

Too much of a step up in class for Mart Lane   :-[
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Waaheb unlikely to make Cheltenham

Oak Leafer

Barney Curley gamble on at wolverhampton today? :P

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Oak Leafer on January 09, 2012, 12:58:43 PM
Barney Curley gamble on at wolverhampton today? :P

What are you on about?

Oak Leafer

Radda bout yeee

Good man! made a moderate amount - nice start to the week!  ;)

Oak Leafer

Glad you got on! ;) Opened at 13/2 as well...was 11/4 this morning. Case of the bookies trying to cut the price before the big money went on.

Candyman

had it in a wee double with carrickmines... paid about 18/1!!!  ;D