The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Punters' graveyard at Leopardstown this week. Synchronised putting our chasers to shame says it all. For all the good sires and broodmares we have in this country, that we haven't manage to produce a realistic Gold Cup challenger since the days of War Of Attrition and Kicking King is poor.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

sammymaguire

Why is that DH?? No top class chasers to talk about for years and the Irish racing fraternity have almost all other codes well and truly mastered
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: sammymaguire on December 28, 2011, 04:23:47 PM
Why is that DH?? No top class chasers to talk about for years and the Irish racing fraternity have almost all other codes well and truly mastered

No idea. It's not as if French breds are totally dominating either when you consider that the likes of Best Mate, Denman and Imperial Commander all came from the p2p field. Plenty of horses have fallen by the wayside in recent years. Both Kicking King and War Of Attrition were both injured at 7 after they had won Gold Cups. Neither were near their peak. Obviously Weapons Amnesty could have been anything but I doubt we'll see him again. Cooldine looked the business when he won at Cheltenham but that run must have emptied him because he hasn't won a single race since.

O'Leary and Mullins are going to be the only shows in town as long as the economy is in the pits.

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Don Johnson

They voided the market.

Not really great PR for them, their share prices have dropped and everything.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=BET.L

Lot of angry punters. The fella I know has had to pay out on his own mistakes before. He has Newsline coming to see him in the next hour too, should be funny.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/leopardstown-voler-la-vedette-betfair-void-in-running-bets-after-voler-fiasco/968454/

TacadoirArdMhacha

Struggled for winners but thought it was a great day out in Leopardstown today. Thought Rubi Light might have the beating of Quito but unfortunately I hadn't accounted for Synchronised. Surprised Mourad didn't have the stamina to outstay Murphy's mare and it would seem unlikely that there is an RSA in First Lieutenant
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

sammymaguire

Of course it's great PR for them Don, everyone was talkin about Betfair today and it will be forgotten about when the racing kicks off tomorrow.

Gonna head down there tomorrow, card not as good as today's was but still looks like a great day's racing. Can't see Oscars Wells improve enough to trouble the top 3 in the market for the Christmas Hurdle and Unaccompanied might spring a little surprise on the all conquering Mullins. Jessie doesn't seem to have her stable wound up at all at the moment.

Couple of others that I have my card marked for are Imperial Shabra for Brady in the opener and Acapulco. The mares hurdle and the bumper are small stakes for me
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Sea The Stars

Sammy, I certainly wouldn't say it's great PR for Betfair. A lot of questions still unanswered from today's fiasco and people's confidence in Betfair's service will not be high this evening. It might be forgotten about by the start of tomorrow's racing for you and me, but those who's custom Betfair value most will not forget too quick.

Don Johnson

Quote from: sammymaguire on December 28, 2011, 10:11:20 PM
Of course it's great PR for them Don, everyone was talkin about Betfair today and it will be forgotten about when the racing kicks off tomorrow.

Gonna head down there tomorrow, card not as good as today's was but still looks like a great day's racing. Can't see Oscars Wells improve enough to trouble the top 3 in the market for the Christmas Hurdle and Unaccompanied might spring a little surprise on the all conquering Mullins. Jessie doesn't seem to have her stable wound up at all at the moment.

Couple of others that I have my card marked for are Imperial Shabra for Brady in the opener and Acapulco. The mares hurdle and the bumper are small stakes for me

Have a look at the Betfair forums if you think it is good PR for them.

sammymaguire

Lads believe me, there is no such thing as bad press.  ;)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Sea The Stars

When the world's biggest betting exchange allowed a customer a virtual liability of over half a billion pounds, then it's not good !!

Half a billion pounds floating onto the betting exchange when it dosen't even exist. The number involved is so unimaginably large, that is the amusing thing.

Donnellys Hollow

Betfair's credibility has taken several knocks in recent times but yesterday was just farcical. How could anyone have confidence in the in-running markets?

thewobbler

Can't agree DH.

There is no such thing as free money in this world and any punter who feels a sense of entitlement from spotting an obvious technical glitch (a constant 28/1 about the best horse in the field) should really get out out of this game.

If a technical glitch saw punters not getting paid out for a fair win,  Betfair would be rightly billeted with fixing the issue in good faith. I don't see why the opposite should not apply when the roles are reversed.