The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the greatest jockey

i've done a few for st stephen's day

blackstairmountain 5/1 ew 14.20 (very tentative selection, bog warrior looked a machine last time out but over the minimum trip mightn't be able to do them for speed like he did last time)
donnas palm 11/4 14.55 leopardstown - nap

sarando 13.55 wetherby 7/1 ew

bobs worth 14.00 kempton 9/4
captain chris in the king george but will definitely be cheering kauto home

Donnellys Hollow

I'd have no worries about Bog Warrior back down in trip. The time he clocked in his beginners chase at Navan compared very favourably to Big Zeb's time in the Fortria on the same card. BSM is talented but he's a bit of a monkey. Wouldn't surprise me if he came there swinging only to down tools after the last. Maybe chasing will make a man of him but he's not exactly bred for it. If Bog Warrior is over his Fairyhouse exertions, he'll win easily.

I'm tempted to do an across the cards Gigginstown double with Sir Des Champs but my fear is that Emmet Mullins won't ride him positively enough. With Four Commanders in the race, logic dictates that he'd sit on his tail like Last Instalment did at Punchestown. The horse got him out of trouble at Cheltenham and he was at the same craic with Golden Silver down at Mallow recently who was beat only for that Tony Martin horse to fall at the last.

I'm leaving the Kempton card alone bar a small e/w antepost wager I have running on Captain Chris. I like Bobs Worth, should beat the Nicholls horse on a line through Cue Card, and I'm not certain Grand Cru is the monster that some make him out to be. I'd have hoped for a better price than 9/4 though so I'll probably leave it alone. The Christmas Hurdle looks a woefully poor renewal. None of those horses would land a blow in the Leopardstown equivalent.

The big talking horse tomorrow is sure to be Champagne Agent. Hosed up in a p2p (form isn't up to much tbh) and impressed in a recent schooling bumper. All the talk has been about this animal recently and it will be interesting to see if they smash into him tomorrow morning.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

haze

How special is Kauto.... That performance was a shiver down the spine moment for horse racing fans

ardchieftain

Have to agree, what a very special horse, jumped like a stag. That's what national hunt racing is all about for me.

Was very impressed by Grand Crus.

Missed the Irish racing, what happened bog warrior ?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: ardchieftain on December 26, 2011, 03:47:48 PM
Have to agree, what a very special horse, jumped like a stag. That's what national hunt racing is all about for me.

Was very impressed by Grand Crus.

Missed the Irish racing, what happened bog warrior ?

Took a tumble 5 or 6 fences in. Spoiled my doubkle with Grands Crus. The perils of backing short priced novices.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Donnellys Hollow

Novicey sort of fall from Bog Warrior. Surprised that Davy tried to get a lead considering how well he went when Ruby let him go at Fairyhouse. He pecked at the first as well. Hopefully no long term damage done. Good to see BSM going through with his effort but Notus De La Tour wouldn't be in the top 5 English novices so our crop might not be the strongest over two miles anyway. Martin gained compensation in the bumper and I'd be following the first four home in that race. Looked a serious contest. Winner could be a Cheltenham horse.

Got to take a slice of humble pie when it comes to Grand Cru. That was a very taking performance. Doubt any of the Christmas Hurdle principals will be causing Mullins any sleepless nights. Kauto Star, what more can you say. Great to see Waley-Cohen get his comeuppance after his shameful antics at Fakenham. Walsh on the other hand is simply imperious. The greatest horseman we're ever likely to see.

Good cards on both sides of the water tomorrow. The novice chase at Kempton will decide who goes off favourite for the Arkle. I'll be rooting for Peddlers Cross but I'm not sure yet whether I'll back him at a speed track like Kempton. Ground at Leopardstown seems to be riding quite quick so I wouldn't be quick to steam into some of the shorties tomorrow. Big Zeb will be fine on it but I'll be giving the novice hurdle a swerve. Tom Taaffe has a horse for Fitri Hay running in a maiden hurdle down at Limerick. He has some serious form on the flat with the likes of Await The Dawn and could be a useful recruit to timber.

sammymaguire

Horrible fall by Golden Silver, fearing the worst but hopefully it can get up
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: sammymaguire on December 27, 2011, 01:45:29 PM
Horrible fall by Golden Silver, fearing the worst but hopefully it can get up

Horse was dead by the time the rest of the field got to the next fence. Horrific fall. One of the worst I've seen. Thankfully Townend was able to walk away.

Sprinter Sacre  :o

Hardy

Le Beau Bai narrowly leads the stats for the Welsh national

Le Beau Bai     23.11
Carruthers      20.88
Giles Cross    20.87
Galaxy Rock    20.71
Blazing Bailey   20.69
Cappa Bleu       20.69
Viking Blond     19.88
As De Fer       19.69

Donnellys Hollow

Has Waaheb vanished off the face of the earth?

He laughed at that Cash And Go in the McManus bumper at Limerick last year.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Hardy on December 27, 2011, 01:53:29 PM
Le Beau Bai narrowly leads the stats for the Welsh national

Le Beau Bai     23.11
Carruthers      20.88
Giles Cross    20.87
Galaxy Rock    20.71
Blazing Bailey   20.69
Cappa Bleu       20.69
Viking Blond     19.88
As De Fer       19.69

Well done Hardy. Anything for the Paddy Power?

Hardy

Didn't get a chance to look at the Paddy Power, DH. Probably just as well.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Hardy on December 27, 2011, 03:33:11 PM
Didn't get a chance to look at the Paddy Power, DH. Probably just as well.

Definitely. I think the ground is throwing a lot of people . How that French horse of Mullins' was odds on, I don't know.

If it is riding as good as they're all saying then surely Rubi Light will go off a lot shorter than 3/1 tomorrow. Both Joncol and Quito De La Roque are proven mudlarks. RL handled a decent surface at Cheltenham when third in the Ryanair and the quicker ground will also help him to get this trip. First Lieutenant will also go well on this ground but I wouldn't say Last Instalment will be in love with it.

Don Johnson

Fella has a £59 million liability on Voler La Vedette on Betfair here.

Fella I know trades in running stands to win 60k if it is paid.

They were laying 28/1 on it the whole way round, even when it hit the front.

beer baron

Holy god-i wouldn't have backed synchronized if i could've picked 4 in the race!Tom Segal tipped it up and we're supposed to believe he gets no inside info-yeah i believe ya  Tom  ::)!
Had last Instalment earlier,decided after his last run i'd follow him until he lost and glad i did-backed him at 2/1 B.O.G and went out to 11/4,happy days  :)