The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

Cheers for those STS, I have wasted some money on that bloody Melbourne Cup over the last few years so might have to go with you on these two as my own picks are normally pants

Silver Wren getting punted on the opener at Plumpton 8/1 into 9/2 at present.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Anyone else following the fledgling training career of John Ferguson recently?

He has worked as an assistant trainer to Michael Stoute and John Gosden and was also bloodstock advisor to Sheikh Mohammed. He has started out as a NH trainer in the past few months and he has some really nice recruits from the level in his yard. He has had 7 winners from 16 runners (44% strike rate) so far this season including the winner of the bumper on Saturday at Ascot who absolutely hosed up in a decent contest.

He has Dubawi Phantom (ex-Godolphin ran in 2010 Derby at the Curragh) in the novice hurdle at Kempton today. He's running under a penalty for his recent maiden hurdle win at Uttoxeter but seems to be priced accordingly at 4/1. I'm having a few bob e/w.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

downtown

See that Dubawi just taken out there!!  :-[

Donnellys Hollow

Very unfortunate but that's NH racing for you.

Keep an eye out for Ferguson's runners in the next few weeks. I don't think a lot of punters have copped on to him yet so he could well be worth following before the big yards start bringing out their better novices.

downtown

RealSpiritof98

9 out of 12 favs have won so far today :o

sammymaguire

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on October 31, 2011, 02:49:06 PM
9 out of 12 favs have won so far today :o

guess who backed Iheardu...  ::)  :(
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Donnellys Hollow

Big day for Philip Hobbs tomorrow.

Particularly looking forward to Menorah over fences.

Don Johnson

Might have a go at Ghizao tomorrow. Beat Captain Chris twice last season and is getting 5lbs from him tomorrow.

Will read what connections say in the RP tomorrow before making my mind up.

Groucho

Had 3 winners inlucky 15, fourth one second....would have won £8600....had  to settle for £900 8)
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

adevvabr

Interesting that Colm Murphy sends Zaarito to Exeter tomorrow, when he could have run him in the 2 1/2 mile chase on saturday at down royal. I think the fact that zaarito will be getting weight from all the market leaders might be the reason for this. Murphy has a great record when he sends his horses to England and hes a very talented horse that seems to just lose his concentration at crucial times in races. Obviously for that reason ill be keeping my stakes to a small e/w bet at 7/1.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: adevvabr on October 31, 2011, 09:59:48 PM
Interesting that Colm Murphy sends Zaarito to Exeter tomorrow, when he could have run him in the 2 1/2 mile chase on saturday at down royal. I think the fact that zaarito will be getting weight from all the market leaders might be the reason for this. Murphy has a great record when he sends his horses to England and hes a very talented horse that seems to just lose his concentration at crucial times in races. Obviously for that reason ill be keeping my stakes to a small e/w bet at 7/1.

He couldn't. The race on Saturday is restricted to horses who did not win a chase before 25 April 2010 (second season novices in other words). Zaarito needs decent ground and the fences in England don't tend to be as stiff as they are at the likes of Naas, Leopardstown and Punchestown. If he puts in a clear round then he's a player off a mark of 148. It's a big if though considering he has failed to complete on 5 of his last 11 starts.

It's a very good race for this time of year. Captain Chris will probably have achieved most out of these by the end of the season but whether he'll win tomorrow is another matter. Both Ghizao and Medermit have beaten him before and the only horse you could rule out with any certainty is the bottom weight who is about 60lbs inferior to the rest of them. Oiseau De Nuit and particularly Cornas are seasoned handicappers who are capable of picking up the pieces should the market principles not perform. Zaarito definitely has his chance but it all depends on his fencing. Given his size, he's not able to clout one like Captain Chris can and get away with it.

Interesting race, but one to watch for me.

adevvabr

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 31, 2011, 10:17:35 PM

He couldn't. The race on Saturday is restricted to horses who did not win a chase before 25 April 2010 (second season novices in other words). Zaarito needs decent ground and the fences in England don't tend to be as stiff as they are at the likes of Naas, Leopardstown and Punchestown. If he puts in a clear round then he's a player off a mark of 148. It's a big if though considering he has failed to complete on 5 of his last 11 starts.

It's a very good race for this time of year. Captain Chris will probably have achieved most out of these by the end of the season but whether he'll win tomorrow is another matter. Both Ghizao and Medermit have beaten him before and the only horse you could rule out with any certainty is the bottom weight who is about 60lbs inferior to the rest of them. Oiseau De Nuit and particularly Cornas are seasoned handicappers who are capable of picking up the pieces should the market principles not perform. Zaarito definitely has his chance but it all depends on his fencing. Given his size, he's not able to clout one like Captain Chris can and get away with it.

DH, i hadnt realised that was a second season novice on saturday. Ill prob just watch now as that was one of the angles I was looking at in deciding to back him. Definitely a big if to have a clear round as hes carried my money on a few occasions when coming down with the race at his mercy! Agree that captain chris is best horse in the race and was really impressed how he improved in 2nd half of last season but Ill be waiting until later in the year to back him.

Ruby was very keen on sam winner going chasing last year so id expect him and menorah to have a good battle aswell!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: adevvabr on October 31, 2011, 10:33:59 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 31, 2011, 10:17:35 PM

DH, i hadnt realised that was a second season novice on saturday. Ill prob just watch now as that was one of the angles I was looking at in deciding to back him. Definitely a big if to have a clear round as hes carried my money on a few occasions when coming down with the race at his mercy! Agree that captain chris is best horse in the race and was really impressed how he improved in 2nd half of last season but Ill be waiting until later in the year to back him.

Ruby was very keen on sam winner going chasing last year so id expect him and menorah to have a good battle aswell!

They were planning a chase campaign in England with Zaarito last year - better ground/easier fences theory, but it didn't work out as planned. The Peterborough Chase was pencilled in on his agenda but with all the snow in December last year, the Hilly Way was pushed back and they couldn't get a prep into him. I think they were then going to have a crack at the County Hurdle but he went wrong in the New Year before the Pierse and had to be roughed off for the season.

I'd be surprised if Sam Winner has the gears to worry Menorah. Walsh and the Fat Controller are always talking him up but bar one run last season, I've yet to see it. It took him an age to get going in the Triumph after being nearly tailed off at halfway. Menorah, provided he can jump, could be a top class two mile chaser.

RealSpiritof98

Stayed up and watched Monday Night Football and the racing, what a finish to the race, couldn't have been closer. In relation to Tullamore, he had a bad draw and then played bumping cars for half a mile, looked like he was going to challange but didn't materialise. Had my email called out by Chapman yeroooo.