Tyrone v Monaghan, Sun 20th May, Healy Park

Started by tyroneman, April 04, 2018, 06:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 15, 2018, 11:13:40 AM
Quote from: Schkite on May 15, 2018, 10:51:27 AM
Quote from: timmyot501 on May 14, 2018, 04:09:15 PM
Any word on the Monaghan injuries for this game.  Should we have a full hand I would go with

R Beggan
C Walsh
C Boyle
R Wylie
F Kelly
D Wylie
K O'Connell
N Kierans
D Hughes
D Ward
K Hughes
R McAnsepie
C McCarthy
J McCarron
C McManus

I wouldn't be surprised if one of McCarron or McCarthy were held in reserve and someone like Malone started instead.

Good point, forgot about Malone.. he'd definitely be more suited to this kind of fare..

O Duffy an option at HF too but can't see him starting.
K Duffy could well be drafted into defense too..

Sure who knows a f*%K...

Yeah I forgot about O Duffy, I could see him and one of McCarron/McCarthy to come on in the second half as good scoring options off the bench. You could see K Duffy start as you say and Kelly start as a half forward.

Aaron Boone

Probably the qualifiers will suit Tyrone anyway, build momentum when the ground is firmer.

omagh_gael

Was listening to Wooly Parkinson's podcast earlier (easily the best out there) and they were discussing the potential of the fly keeper becoming a more widespread tactic this summer. Apparently, Graham Brody of Laois made a few forays out the field to create the overlap and maintain possession. They were also discussing it on off the ball, too.

One thing mentioned was it would need to be a keeper who is a very confident 'baller' and would be secure in possesion.
This got me thinking about our game on Sunday as both Morgan (plays outfield for his club) and Beggan strike me as two keepers who you'd be pretty confident with ball in hand. There will be serious pressure on kick outs and we're likely to see plenty of high presses which lends itself to the fly keeper option.

Am I right in thinking Morgan tried this a few times in the league to half decent effect? However, the second goal agaisnt Dublin was conceded by a messed up short kick out routine.

My left field bet is for one of the keepers to score a point from play. 

Schkite

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 15, 2018, 08:13:15 PM

My left field bet is for one of the keepers to score a point from play.

Beggan actually scored a point from play in a club game last year - though I doubt he'll be allowed the same space on Sunday!

trileacman

I think ya stand a better chance by starting Mc Carron, Mc Carthy and Mc Manus inside and trying to blitz us. Our defence is young inexperienced and not as sheltered by the forwards as previous years.

Playing malone and grinding it out against us is just more of the same failed tactics that o rourke has been using for 6 odd years against us.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Taylor

MH really needs to let us loose on Sunday. I know he has said he wont abandon his tactics but we have to be let of the leash at some stage.

Monaghan will bring plenty of dirt and off the ball antics on Sunday. The best way to counter this is to play an open brand of football and stretch them all over the field.

Either way I expect a win by at least 3 points

trailer

Colm Cavanagh fit. Huge boost for Tyrone.

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: trailer on May 16, 2018, 10:24:08 AM
Colm Cavanagh fit. Huge boost for Tyrone.

Heard this also, him and Brennan completed a full in house match in Healy Park last weekend! Massive boost to Tyrone, even if the sharpeness isnt there 100%, the role he plays is crucial, esp against forwards like McCarthy, McManus and McCarron, Colly Cav will be crusical to intercepting alot of balls hit into these men!!

Fuzzman

I heard that weeks ago but of course you never know for sure til Sunday.
The full back line will probably be the one with the most calls to make and does he fit McNamee in somewhere if not in the FB line?

Usually a first round game has at least one surprise inclusion in it ?

Is Mulgrew fit for selection? Would it be better to start Bradley and bring on Lee Brennan? Monaghan will be well hyped up to show Brennan what real Ulster SENIOR football is all about I'd say.

I know I sound arrogant but I think we will win this handy enough. I'll say 5 points.

Don't suppose anyone has a stand ticket they wanna swap for a terrace ticket?

Maroon Manc

Expectation must be fairly high in Monaghan? Looks like the strongest Monaghan team on paper I've seen.

southtyronegael

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 16, 2018, 12:37:02 PM
Expectation must be fairly high in Monaghan? Looks like the strongest Monaghan team on paper I've seen.
Monaghan people I've been chatting to are very confident, bordering on cocky. I've heard it all before from them so now its time for them to deliver against Tyrone. They certainly have the team now to do it but will be a big ask.

laceer

Monaghan had a good league and seem more confident playing at that level now. Would be wary enough of them. I still expect Tyrone to win, though I thought they would have given Dublin a game last August!

Cavanagh being fit would be a big boost.

Fuzzman

Remarkably quiet on here before such a big match that's not gonna be on TV.
I'd say the Monaghan wans want to keep their head down and not be showing how much they're looking forward to this game and how this is probably their best chance in years to beat Tyrone in their own back yard.

Any team that beat Dublin,, even if it was a meaningless game, have something worthwhile and there is no  doubt they will want to lay down a hell of a marker to show they are indeed a force in Ulster and a strong Div 1 team

Tyrone, however, often ssssssss....tuttter in their first round home games in Omagh with quite a few bad defeats there over the years. However, I do believe this team have kicked on with most of the team now backboned by that AI winning U21 team and they know they are stronger that last year, especially with Frank Burns and Lee Brennan to name a few.

Mickey usually throws in one surprise inclusion in his 1st team of the year so I'm gonna guess he goes for something like this with a few surprises when they line out.

Morgan

McCarron
Hampsey
HP McGeary

Conor Meyler
Frank Burns
Ronan McNabb

Colm Cavanagh
Cathal McShane

Mark Bradley
Niall Sludden
Peter Harte

Lee Brennan
Mattie Donnelly
McAliskey

As we know positions mean nothing any more so just cause they're named in the half forward or at FF doesn't mean they will stay there

omaghjoe

McNabb

Did he get much game time in the league?

redhandefender

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 17, 2018, 03:39:21 PM
Remarkably quiet on here before such a big match that's not gonna be on TV.
I'd say the Monaghan wans want to keep their head down and not be showing how much they're looking forward to this game and how this is probably their best chance in years to beat Tyrone in their own back yard.

Any team that beat Dublin,, even if it was a meaningless game, have something worthwhile and there is no  doubt they will want to lay down a hell of a marker to show they are indeed a force in Ulster and a strong Div 1 team

Tyrone, however, often ssssssss....tuttter in their first round home games in Omagh with quite a few bad defeats there over the years. However, I do believe this team have kicked on with most of the team now backboned by that AI winning U21 team and they know they are stronger that last year, especially with Frank Burns and Lee Brennan to name a few.

Mickey usually throws in one surprise inclusion in his 1st team of the year so I'm gonna guess he goes for something like this with a few surprises when they line out.

Morgan

McCarron
Hampsey
HP McGeary

Conor Meyler
Frank Burns
Ronan McNabb

Colm Cavanagh
Cathal McShane

Mark Bradley
Niall Sludden
Peter Harte

Lee Brennan
Mattie Donnelly
McAliskey

As we know positions mean nothing any more so just cause they're named in the half forward or at FF doesn't mean they will stay there

For a man that sees no club games you make some random selections.