Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosskarr

Love to be a fly on the wall for tomorrow's night county Board meeting.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: rosskarr on August 26, 2015, 08:58:37 AM
Love to be a fly on the wall for tomorrow's night county Board meeting.

Full steam ahead, there be no icebergs here!!  8)
i usse an speelchekor

PAULD123

I think McCorry deserved another year. This year was very disappointing, much less in the results but more in the dreadful way we played. Our performances were depressing even when we won. But Jim is a highly successful coach and surely he too saw these failings and deserved the chance to put them right. Deserved the chance to try to develop a system which plays good football and wins. If next year we played the same turgid stuff, then I would have agreed that he should go.

What I don't understand is why he disposed of an efficient and winning system that he had at Kilcoo and adopted an obviously flawed system for Down:

• Kilcoo always played with a big target man, to get possession up the pitch and feed the fast skillful forwards
  • Kilcoo played with Devlin in Attack not midfield or half back
  • Kilcoo generally played with a tall athletic No.6 to act as a third midfielder
  • When Kilcoo played teams with better midfielders, they had no problem playing to the Brannigans to bring the ball up and avoid being out-fielded
  • Jim supported and encouraged players and made them feel respected. Kilcoo players trusted Jim and wanted to work with him

Down under McCorry:
  • Two man forward line of short players with long balls pumped at them. Whenever Big Arthur came on we scored goals but he still wasn't given a start
  • Totally inadequate choices in Midfield - Devlin/Mooney/McCardle, yet Mallon & Turley were dropped and King & Gordon not accommodated
  • McCardle played CHB when McKernan was much better suited to the role as a backup midfielder, teams regularly ran right through Benny who has always been better on the flanks
  • We pumped balls into an out-caught midfield all day long. Short kick-outs just were not part of the game plan. We lost almost all the opposition kick-outs and close to half of our own. Under that pressure our defence actually performed well
  • Jim failed to man manage well - Mallon, Garvey, McConville and also failed to accommodate our best mature players, Coulter, King, Gordon, McComiskey, Rogers, Rooney

But he deserved a chance to correct all these errors and he is experienced and intelligent enough to have  the potential to do so

Brick Tamlin

Trying to compare a club side with a county setup is in itself ridiculous?
By reading your comments you are supposing you know McCorry's mindset, his tactics, team setups, and how he wants his teams to play etc. Unless you are a) Jim McCorry himself or b) a Kilcoo player then youre just guessing and making assumptions or basically talkin through your arse.

There are so many sweeping statements and general assumptions in your comments its unreal.
So much of what you say is a matter of opinion and based on conjecture.

Id still like to know who the county executive actually are. Genuinely.
Be interesting to know who makes the big decisions.

thewobbler

My tuppence is that a man who takes the most talented team in a competition one year, then takes an averagely talented team in a competition the following year, and tries to apply the same tactics to both teams, would probably be described as fool.

Brick Tamlin

Maybe im wording this wrong. But who are the committee or group of people that make the decisions. Is there not 14 of them?
Who is it that McCorry met with or who is it that prospective candidates meets with.
Info would be useful, ie names and clubs.

County Secretary - Sean Og McAteer
Chairman - Sean Rooney
Vice Chairman - John Devaney

NP 76

Other members on the executive commitee I think are
Donal Mc Nally
W J Smith
Jarlath Tinnelly
Maureen o Higgins
Paula Maggee
Diarmuid Cahill
Michael Mc Ardle
Sean Mc Cashlin
Seamus Walsh ?
Brendan Fitzpatrick
Cant think of the other name

whitegoodman

I think yas are being a bit harsh on PaulD there, he makes some valid points.  If you look at the forward line that played against Wexford I think it included Laverty, O Hare, Maginn, Jerome and Poland.  Is it not a simple thing to see that that forward line will struggle to win their own ball, will struggle to win breaking ball and will struggle to take scores from outside 30 yards.  Add to that the teams that overpowered us in the league yet Jim continued on his merry way. 

It might be a fool to think that an average county team can play the same as good club team but it would also be a fool to think that continuing along the same path that hasnt been successful in the past will suddenly become successful in the future.

One thing that I would disagree with is the playing of McKernan at CHB.  He is one of the best shot takers on the team and we would need him further up the field.  Besides he doesnt have the discipline to play that role.  I personally would prefer the stopper sort of CHB in the Peter Turley or Declan Rooney sort of mold.

Line Ball

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 27, 2015, 12:09:34 PM
Maybe im wording this wrong. But who are the committee or group of people that make the decisions. Is there not 14 of them?
Who is it that McCorry met with or who is it that prospective candidates meets with.

Chairman - Sean Rooney

Quote from: NP 76 on August 27, 2015, 12:53:57 PM
Donal Mc Nally
W J Smith
Jarlath Tinnelly
Maureen o Higgins
Paula Maggee
Diarmuid Cahill
Michael Mc Ardle
Sean Mc Cashlin
Seamus Walsh ?
Brendan Fitzpatrick

So these are the footballing brains of our County who are making so many mistakes vital decisions about who should be in charge of our teams, WTF?  I would like to know how many have ever kicked a ball, never mind played at any kind of decent level or even represented Down, I would hazard a guess at 0.  You can guarantee that the two wemen certainly haven't yet their votes are counted like the rest.  These individuals remind me of a bit of a 'gather up' , you don't have many options to put a team together so anybody will do.

If I had the choice I would be replacing these individuals before I would be replacing Shane Mulholland or Jim Mc Corry.

charlieTully

Quote from: Line Ball on August 27, 2015, 08:22:38 PM

Chairman - Sean Rooney

Donal Mc Nally
W J Smith
Jarlath Tinnelly
Maureen o Higgins
Paula Maggee
Diarmuid Cahill
Michael Mc Ardle
Sean Mc Cashlin
Seamus Walsh ?
Brendan Fitzpatrick

So these are the footballing brains of our County who are making so many mistakes vital decisions about who should be in charge of our teams, WTF?  I would like to know how many have ever kicked a ball, never mind played at any kind of decent level or even represented Down, I would hazard a guess at 0.  You can guarantee that the two wemen certainly haven't yet their votes are counted like the rest.  These individuals remind me of a bit of a 'gather up' , you don't have many options to put a team together so anybody will do.

If I had the choice I would be replacing these individuals before I would be replacing Shane Mulholland or Jim Mc Corry.

sure blame the women. its all their fault.

Line Ball

Quote from: charlieTully on August 27, 2015, 08:43:24 PM
Quote from: Line Ball on August 27, 2015, 08:22:38 PM

Chairman - Sean Rooney

Donal Mc Nally
W J Smith
Jarlath Tinnelly
Maureen o Higgins
Paula Maggee
Diarmuid Cahill
Michael Mc Ardle
Sean Mc Cashlin
Seamus Walsh ?
Brendan Fitzpatrick

sure blame the women. its all their fault.

2 of many and it's not just their fault.

Hedgehunter

Impressive win and an excellent performance from Glenn tonight AWAY in mayobridge..

charlieTully

Quote from: Hedgehunter on August 27, 2015, 09:23:05 PM
Impressive win and an excellent performance from Glenn tonight AWAY in mayobridge..

Ffs not again . Time for a separate Glenn thread.  :)

Hedgehunter

Quote from: charlieTully on August 27, 2015, 10:01:26 PM
Quote from: Hedgehunter on August 27, 2015, 09:23:05 PM

Ffs not again . Time for a separate Glenn thread.  :)

Just highlighting the fact that we can win away from home and our facilities have fcuk all to do with us only accumulating points at home.

Brick Tamlin

I doubt the bridge give a fiddlers about the league at this stage of the season in fairness.