TG4 - Club Championships Coverage

Started by drici, September 23, 2007, 05:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: FermGael on September 27, 2020, 08:38:41 PM
Massive shock in the Fermanagh SFC final.
Ederney bridged a gap of over 50 years to win.

Beat Derrygonnelly on a score line of 2-8 to 1-6.
39 year old Marty McGrath was man of the match

That's great to see. He is one tough boy.

redzone

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 27, 2020, 09:10:06 PM

I remember last year that Derrygonnelly nearly came a cropper to Belnaleck at the semi-final stage, taking a replay to overcome them.
Would have been some craic if the 'leckers had beat Derrygonnelly then as they would have been in the SFC final having won the IFC in 2018 and the JFC in 2017.
Fair play to Ederney for toppling DG, mind. The last bit does beg a question though - has any club in football or hurling ever won their county Junior Championship, Intermediate Championship and then Senior Championship in three consecutive seasons? A GAA "Roy of the Rovers" story if there ever was one.

Ederney got to a championship final 2 years ago and a league final last year so not really that big a shock. Would they not be considered next best after derrygonnelly. Nice to see mcgrath get his just rewards. Poor form from the derrygonnelly 13 at the end hopping the ball of the player well after the whistle.

FermGael

Quote from: redzone on September 27, 2020, 09:22:40 PM

I remember last year that Derrygonnelly nearly came a cropper to Belnaleck at the semi-final stage, taking a replay to overcome them.
Would have been some craic if the 'leckers had beat Derrygonnelly then as they would have been in the SFC final having won the IFC in 2018 and the JFC in 2017.
Fair play to Ederney for toppling DG, mind. The last bit does beg a question though - has any club in football or hurling ever won their county Junior Championship, Intermediate Championship and then Senior Championship in three consecutive seasons? A GAA "Roy of the Rovers" story if there ever was one.

Ederney got to a championship final 2 years ago and a league final last year so not really that big a shock. Would they not be considered next best after derrygonnelly. Nice to see mcgrath get his just rewards. Poor form from the derrygonnelly 13 at the end hopping the ball of the player well after the whistle.
I would agree but they were 9/2 with the bookies.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

drici

Dia Domhnaigh   04 - 10 - 2020
Ratoath v Gaeil Colmcille   beo
2-15pm

Glen Rovers v Blackrock   beo
4-00pm

johnnycool

Quote from: sid waddell on September 27, 2020, 06:52:54 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 27, 2020, 06:48:02 PM
Colin fennelly is just the worst fullforward you'd ever want to meet, wins ball and just wants to turn and go towards goal!

But had they lost today they wouldn't have lost any sleep over it  ;D
I highly doubt they would have

There are plenty of defending All-Ireland inter-county champions who haven't looked that bothered after losing their title

A facile win in a county final with that being the end of the road for the year is hardly going to down as one of the more memorable wins in Ballyhale's history

Reminds me a bit of Kilkenny teams picking up facile Leinster titles in empty stadiums with their supporters already gone home to beat the traffic

Another bale on the trailer according to John Power Snr..

clarshack

Wolfe Tones from Meath nearly did it in football - won Junior 2003, Intermediate 04 and then Senior in 06.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 27, 2020, 05:27:47 PM
The Ballymun supporters cheering every miss by BB is a bit much, even during the frees!

BB are woeful though

Scary amount of wides.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: drici on September 28, 2020, 11:21:32 AM
2-15pm

4-00pm

Thought the Galway double header would be shown but I have a funny feeling the county board would prefer to get the money from the streaming.

Just checked and yes TG4 wanted to show both games but the CB want it to remain on streaming as they'll make more from it.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 28, 2020, 01:43:37 PM
Quote from: drici on September 28, 2020, 11:21:32 AM
2-15pm

4-00pm

Thought the Galway double header would be shown but I have a funny feeling the county board would prefer to get the money from the streaming.

Just checked and yes TG4 wanted to show both games but the CB want it to remain on streaming as they'll make more from it.

Had this discussion with my dad last night, I knew the CB would follow the money; Can't really blame them.

Blowitupref

Aren't TG4 running the Galway club streaming service?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

An Fhairche Abu

Nemeton TV (who produce the TG4 GAA coverage) are involved and I have to say that the quality of the Galway streaming service has been excellent, I've got the weekend football pass every weekend and bar maybe a couple of minutes in one or two matches where the picture was temporarily scrambled it was rock solid, a great move to just use the GBFM radio commentary teams for the games as well. Wouldn't have purchased any of the hurling packages but I believe the hurling streaming and coverage was of the same level.
Seen a lot of complaints about other counties streaming services over the past few months but the Galway service has been top notch, whatever else can be said about the Galway County Board they absolutely knocked this one out of the park.

This Corofin team I think will rightly be regarded the greatest football club team of all time and have represented Galway as our club champions with real style and class as well as playing a beautiful brand of football which brought success on the biggest days.
All due respect to Corofin given, I was roaring on MM yesterday, this is a great result for Galway football, on the day MM were the better team, Corofin can have no complaints. Their most difficult matches have been in the Galway championship over the past few years and they have made all the other top Senior teams raise their standard to try and overcome the Everest that beating Corofin had become.

Corofin were totally dominated at midfield and Eoin Finnerty took Liam Silke to the cleaners, Corofin had no one who could control him and he was a very deserving MOTM - Kieran Fitzgerald proved to be a huge loss yesterday. Ian Burke played his best game in ages and to be fair Corofin still looked pretty good going forward but MM dominated possession and did not give them any handy frees to keep them ticking over. For MM to pull this one out without John Daly says a lot for the rest of the squad, I've been critical of Michael Daly's inconsistency for the Galway team but he had a good performance yesterday controlling things in the middle of the park, ably assisted by Barrett who along with Patrick Kelly had a fine game.

Given that Moycullen have never won the Frank Fox and that MM are waiting since 1986 to get back to the pinnacle of Galway football it's a novel final pairing, hope it's a great match.

imtommygunn

That poor tipp team getting beat by a point in the hurling and football finals. Some mess up by clonmel at the end with their goal chance so they'd have been sore had they lost too.

Good to see a bit more of the dual players. John McGrath none too shabby a footballer either.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 28, 2020, 09:43:50 PM
That poor tipp team getting beat by a point in the hurling and football finals. Some mess up by clonmel at the end with their goal chance so they'd have been sore had they lost too.

Good to see a bit more of the dual players. John McGrath none too shabby a footballer either.

Only plays it to keep himself fit over the winter  :o

tippabu

Quote from: johnnycool on September 29, 2020, 12:01:13 PM

Assume that's a tongue in cheek comment from someone who knows how seriously the likes of the mcgraths treat football unlike many of the other very talented footballers who purely focus of hurling

marty34

Quote from: tippabu on October 11, 2020, 12:09:22 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on September 29, 2020, 12:01:13 PM

Assume that's a tongue in cheek comment from someone who knows how seriously the likes of the mcgraths treat football unlike many of the other very talented footballers who purely focus of hurling

Better skill set being a dual player.