GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Still wrong, no matter if the County chair steps in. Why agree to it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

Quote from: hardstation on September 27, 2020, 08:11:16 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 27, 2020, 07:55:36 PM
I'd prefer a race to two points myself ie on the close of AET, no team talks, no changes, no additional rules. Basically the first team to score 2 points (or a goal), wins.

But failing that, penalties is better than a replay. If every other sport on the world can conclude knockout competitions on the day, there's no reason why we can't.
The race to 2 points would be harsh on the team playing against the gale. I also don't think penalties are a big problem.

You're right. But the role of one player - the keeper - in a penalty shoot out is too prominent it be a a fairer way to resolve things imho.

smort

My 2c... The scoring system in Gaelic football is goals and points, not just goals like soccer.  I don't like penalties as during normal time you can score a point from a penalty kick but in penalties themselves we have adopted a soccer approach where you have to score a goal.

I'd rather have free kicks as this is more of an in-game skill which reflects our game and the players skillset. All soccer players know how to kick a stationary ball 11 yards, whether this is a pass, shot, penalty, whatever, it's something they do all day everyday. This is not something Gaelic players do. We have skills and s scoring system of our own, we don't need to steal from.soccer

Craigyhill Terror

I don't think there's anything wrong with using penalties but the one change I would make is to have points count. It takes away any argument about aping soccer and it would also throw another variable in that's still a natural part of the game. It would give takers something else to think about. And if it comes down to the final penalty and all a fella has to do is tap it over the bar, then so be it. That happens in matches too

clarshack

Nothing wrong with penalties to decide a game.

Angelo

What's going to be the protocol for the return of the league/championship?

Have they any testing systems for county teams like they do in the pro sports?

You'd imagine teams should be tested twice weekly to see if any players are positive? How feasible that is for the GAA I don't know but they should be funding something along these lines.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Jeepers Creepers

What about a team set dance and a bit of Scor? Three local celebrities to score?

Rossfan

Quote from: hardstation on September 28, 2020, 07:47:45 AM
rather than something that involves kicking the ball as many of our players don't do this very often.
Maybe have a catching and kicking competition.....
Would weed out an awful lot of "footballers" ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on September 28, 2020, 10:13:59 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with using penalties but the one change I would make is to have points count. It takes away any argument about aping soccer and it would also throw another variable in that's still a natural part of the game. It would give takers something else to think about. And if it comes down to the final penalty and all a fella has to do is tap it over the bar, then so be it. That happens in matches too

Unfair advantage for the team going second surely?

Sudden death and one team misses, all the next player has to do is pop it over the bar.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

RedHand88

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 27, 2020, 07:48:14 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on September 27, 2020, 06:58:40 PM
Theres a snobbery in some quarters that penalties is fpr some reason beneath GAA, its more associated with that aul soccer ball (the horror).
With regards the Tyrone final, what would these folk propose if in the week between games one of the clubs went down with the virus, or if new restrictions were imposed.
We need to get the games done asap in this current climate.

I don't feel its snobbery to have the opinion that penalties shouldn't be used to find a winner in a county final.

If i had 10p for everytime id read "penalty shootouts have no place in our games", id have a couple of quid.

square_ball

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 28, 2020, 01:02:59 PM
Theres a snobbery in some quarters that penalties is fpr some reason beneath GAA, its more associated with that aul soccer ball (the horror).
With regards the Tyrone final, what would these folk propose if in the week between games one of the clubs went down with the virus, or if new restrictions were imposed.

I don't feel its snobbery to have the opinion that penalties shouldn't be used to find a winner in a county final.

If i had 10p for everytime id read "penalty shootouts have no place in our games", id have a couple of quid.

And another few quid for someone saying they are a horrible way to lose. Is there a nice way to lose a match?

The PRO

Quote from: square_ball on September 28, 2020, 01:33:39 PM

And another few quid for someone saying they are a horrible way to lose. Is there a nice way to lose a match?

Yes, it's so nice to lose by 10 or 12 points! Or to a last minute goal. Or a dodgy free in injury time. Much nicer....

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: Angelo on September 28, 2020, 12:54:29 PM
Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on September 28, 2020, 10:13:59 AM

Unfair advantage for the team going second surely?

Sudden death and one team misses, all the next player has to do is pop it over the bar.

Don't miss and you won't be in that situation

Blowitupref

Quote from: square_ball on September 28, 2020, 01:33:39 PM

It's a horrible way to lose a county final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Quote from: Angelo on September 28, 2020, 12:21:03 PM
What's going to be the protocol for the return of the league/championship?

Have they any testing systems for county teams like they do in the pro sports?

You'd imagine teams should be tested twice weekly to see if any players are positive? How feasible that is for the GAA I don't know but they should be funding something along these lines.

Rapid testing it seems.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0925/1167526-gaa-looking-to-introduce-rapid-testing-programme/
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose