China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: bennydorano on March 17, 2021, 10:34:30 AM
See that India is experiencing another surge in cases.

Certainly something going on. 43% week on week increase in cases, apparently. If that's not yet a 'surge', it won't be long becoming one. Perhaps some new variants beginning to challenge immune response?

Mad how this thing can still turn on a sixpence, definitely a lesson on not being too hasty with thinking that you have it under control.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

imtommygunn

They talked about having potential herd immunity there too so on that front it's not good either.

armaghniac

Quote from: Angelo on March 17, 2021, 10:55:52 AM
A lot of misinformation here.

The "surge" in India is currently 1 case per 50k citizens.

In the UK where lockdowns restrictions are not starting to roll back it is 1 per 14k.

In the Free State it is 1 per 17k.

So the surge in India is not actually a surge at all and it has one of the lowest incident rates per population worldwide at all.

You really have to check the misinformation and misrepresentation of views out there.

I'd say that the representing the officially tested numbers in India as accurate is misinformation.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: armaghniac on March 17, 2021, 12:18:24 PM

In the UK where lockdowns restrictions are not starting to roll back it is 1 per 14k.

So the surge in India is not actually a surge at all and it has one of the lowest incident rates per population worldwide at all.

You really have to check the misinformation and misrepresentation of views out there.

I'd say that the representing the officially tested numbers in India as accurate is misinformation.

Modi out today saying that they have to do a lot more on testing outside of the major cities.

Indian government definitely more concerned by the rise in cases than some on this thread.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Milltown Row2

Sure it's only a seasonal thing, like flu
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 17, 2021, 12:11:33 PM
They talked about having potential herd immunity there too so on that front it's not good either.
It's also a lesson as regards the concept of vaccine acquired herd immunity

The Astra Zeneca vaccine doesn't seem to be very effective against the South African variant

I suspect we could see a big spread of that variant or another similarly evasive variant this summer or autumn

imtommygunn

It really just highlights it is far from understood, and far from over, yet.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: sid waddell on March 17, 2021, 12:56:54 PM

The Astra Zeneca vaccine doesn't seem to be very effective against the South African variant

I suspect we could see a big spread of that variant or another similarly evasive variant this summer or autumn

UK have plans for a 'revaccination' or booster jab rollout later in the year to tackle escape variants.

Even if this becomes a continual thing, it shouldn't cause much bother for high income countries. The science involved in tweaking these vaccines is relatively straightforward, apparently. And the rollout infrastructure will have been well developed.

It will be more of an issue if low and middle income countries need to keep vaccinating on a continuous cycle. They will need an awful lot of help at a time when money is tight.

Angelo

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 17, 2021, 01:37:12 PM

UK have plans for a 'revaccination' or booster jab rollout later in the year to tackle escape variants.

Even if this becomes a continual thing, it shouldn't cause much bother for high income countries. The science involved in tweaking these vaccines is relatively straightforward, apparently. And the rollout infrastructure will have been well developed.

It will be more of an issue if low and middle income countries need to keep vaccinating on a continuous cycle. They will need an awful lot of help at a time when money is tight.

Given that first world countries are happy enough to turn a blind eye to poverty, overcrowding, starvation and lack of basic living conditions in third world countries I doubt they will give much of a toss about Covid in these countries if they are able to minimise its damage in their own.

The West are happy enough to engage with, back and support Israel and all the horrendous thing they have and continue to do to Palestinians so I doubt they will suddenly develop a moral compass.

Angelo

Quote from: armaghniac on March 17, 2021, 02:48:35 PM
I think SF lost their way a bit on abortion in the 26 counties when they threw Peader Toibin out and others also.
SF could have put forward the view that they are primarily interested in uniting Ireland and that there might be some variation in opinion among their members on things like abortion. Tóibín was a good performer and sound on the national issue. Had they allows a conscience vote in the 26 counties then they would probably still have Tóibín and they could then have allowed a conscience vote in the 6 counties which might have made them look less like eejits.

Toibin was treated disgracefully by SF.

Absolutely no doubt.

South Laois man

the Astra Zenica vaccine prevents serious illness even against the varients. I think we could all live with it if it turns into something more like a cold.

Milltown Row2

Women that take the birth control pill can get blood clots, at a higher rate than this vaccine. I suppose it'll be suspended soon
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

Quote from: armaghniac on March 17, 2021, 12:18:24 PM

Correct. With what could kindly be described as a sketchy testing set up actual numbers could be 3,4,or 5 times the official figures.