Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunsilly King

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 31, 2020, 01:24:54 PM
Its straightforward for me
2 teams are level in terms of commitment & Talent - one has money and the other hasn't - one buys in a coach and give themselves the advantage - is this not chequebook success?

one county with a big city gets minimal funding for coaches(or GPO's as they are called in Dublin) from Croke Park, whilst anotherwitha big city i.e. Dublin gets millions, is this not chequebook success.

The irony, the hypocrisy. are you a member of the said association?

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Dunsilly King on January 31, 2020, 01:33:42 PM
2 teams are level in terms of commitment & Talent - one has money and the other hasn't - one buys in a coach and give themselves the advantage - is this not chequebook success?

one county with a big city gets minimal funding for coaches(or GPO's as they are called in Dublin) from Croke Park, whilst anotherwitha big city i.e. Dublin gets millions, is this not chequebook success.

I agree with you completely! - Dublin's success is chequebook success - no level playing field at county level at all and dont want that for club game

Dunsilly King

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 31, 2020, 01:51:59 PM

I agree with you completely! - Dublin's success is chequebook success - no level playing field at county level at all and dont want that for club game

Where have you been living, this has been happening for the past 25 yrs. Are you only realising that practically every club worth their salt have outside managers with the best being at the top clubs.

bannside

Clubs will do what's best for themselves in any given situation. Yes sure payment is against the "ethos" of the association - but that is an organisation whose HQ pays itself well, and is not in a great position to pontificate to others about the volunteer or amateur ethos.

That's a throw back sentiment to the days hardly anyone from the top down got remunerated. The association itself went from dedicated volunteers running our games ( I instantly thank of selfless men like Gerry Barry RIP) to semi professional and now employs many full time professionals not only at national level but provincial and county too.

Should they be dictating to ambitious clubs how to prepare their teams and have a view on their financial implications. They know this cannot be policed and as it's a battle they will not win  it's no great surprise that the matter has never been properly raised at convention level, despite the fact that this subject is a very large elephant in the room, no one at HQ level wants to see it or address it.

Rodger Mona

lets be realistic also. dublins money may have contributed to their success yes, but the population of dublin is 3/4 times that of belfast. within that quantity, theres a higher amount of people play GAA considering Antrim is 55% unionist. Within Antrims Nationalist communities (who are more prone to participating in GAA) what percentage of them are participating within a club. Significantly lower i would imagine than Dublins.

I would presume ratio per head that are GAA club members would be alot higher in rural areas than it would be belfast. So lets just add a bit of context. Unless there is a drive to improve participation, levels of coaching, refereeing and all related, money will only take us so far.

Plus with Antrim Boards track record i dont blame Head quarters for being reluctant to throw money our way. For years the werent accountable to anybody. Glad to see we are moving on

Antrim were 7th on the list of money allocated and are in Div 4 still. Have a look below

https://twitter.com/SeanMcGoldrick1/status/1093268753725431808?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1093268753725431808&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fsport%2Fgaa%2F2019%2F0614%2F1055359-dublin-funding%2F

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Dunsilly King on January 31, 2020, 02:00:04 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 31, 2020, 01:51:59 PM

Where have you been living, this has been happening for the past 25 yrs. Are you only realising that practically every club worth their salt have outside managers with the best being at the top clubs.
Did Naomh Gall not winning all their 13 championships and All-Ireland title with their own voluntary managers? Micky Culbert, Lenny etc - surely a club worth its salt?

imtommygunn

If your club paid their senior manager would you walk away from them? (Circumstances seem to be irrelevant so should not be considered in your answer...)

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 31, 2020, 02:41:39 PM
If your club paid their senior manager would you walk away from them? (Circumstances seem to be irrelevant so should not be considered in your answer...)
Strongly object and then keep working for the club - one club man

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 31, 2020, 04:29:45 PM

Do they pay outside strength and conditioning coaches?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Then they'd be cheating though...

You can walk away without moving club.

bannside

We have always had bother beating Sligo, in fact they have had the upper hand on us in recent years. Hopefully we can reverse that trend on Sunday and go top or joint top of the division. This fixture was always going to be difficult especially at a ground we have struggled to get anything out of...but I'm optimistic we can get a foothold in the game early and settle any nerves. If we get a good start our fitness levels should see us through. Good luck to all involved, four points out of four was the big start we hoped for, let's make that happen.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 31, 2020, 04:33:48 PM

Then they'd be cheating though...

You can walk away without moving club.
My club doesn't have surplus cash washing about to pay the mercenaries so I've no worry on that front

imtommygunn

I suspect the sums talked about have quite a bit of poetic license in them so it might not take as much as you think.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Peter john on January 31, 2020, 08:29:45 PM
Minor football on the same day as senior and Res,minor hurling also starting the 19th April same day as hurling leagues for Sen /Res start,a real brainwave there  ::)

Minors playing minor, reserves playing reserve, and seniors playing senior, no team should be reliant on  either team and should have a panel to cover. Otherwise don't enter a team. That's the problem actually.

As a senior manager I've done that and pushed the boat out and luckily managed to (most times) get it right.

The question is whether we have enough referees  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 31, 2020, 10:12:56 PM
Quote from: Peter john on January 31, 2020, 08:29:45 PM
Minor football on the same day as senior and Res,minor hurling also starting the 19th April same day as hurling leagues for Sen /Res start,a real brainwave there  ::)

Minors playing minor, reserves playing reserve, and seniors playing senior, no team should be reliant on  either team and should have a panel to cover. Otherwise don't enter a team. That's the problem actually.

As a senior manager I've done that and pushed the boat out and luckily managed to (most times) get it right.

The question is whether we have enough referees  ;)

Yeah but you have a big player base. Not all clubs do.