VRT Registration

Started by snoopdog, January 26, 2011, 09:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Currently importing a car, does anyone know if the registration date is the date that the VRT amount is paid or the date of purchase??

RMDrive

Quote from: snoopdog on January 26, 2011, 09:57:29 AM
Currently importing a car, does anyone know if the registration date is the date that the VRT amount is paid or the date of purchase??

If you are talking about down south then it's the registration date (the date you pay). They are supposed to be within a few days of each other anyway  ;)

snoopdog

Quote from: RMDrive on January 26, 2011, 10:12:34 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on January 26, 2011, 09:57:29 AM

If you are talking about down south then it's the registration date (the date you pay). They are supposed to be within a few days of each other anyway  ;)

Thanks

All of a Sludden

I think it is supposed be done on the next working day after importing the car. A fine of 10% of the value of the car, their valuation, if caught.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

armaghniac

QuoteI think it is supposed be done on the next working day after importing the car. A fine of 10% of the value of the car, their valuation, if caught.

This has now changed, you have to go to the NCT people who will inspect it for what model it is etc (not an NCT test).
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

boosabum

I happened to be getting my car NCT'd last week when a guy came into clear his car. Basically the guy/girl take all the details and then go outside and take a quick llok at the car. They are way more relaxed than the revenue people (i have cleared a few cars with them). No asking about extras.
It's a bit of a cod really as the NCT people do not lift the bonnet to look for chasis numbers or any signs it maybe a clone car or a writeoff. I thought this was part of the reason why this was introduced. Anyway, i think you have to contact the NCT center within 7 days of importing the car and have it clearing within 30.
I think the open market value that is used to calculate your VRT is well overpriced based on the existing car market in ireland at present.

snoopdog

Quote from: boosabum on January 26, 2011, 12:35:40 PM
I happened to be getting my car NCT'd last week when a guy came into clear his car. Basically the guy/girl take all the details and then go outside and take a quick llok at the car. They are way more relaxed than the revenue people (i have cleared a few cars with them). No asking about extras.
It's a bit of a cod really as the NCT people do not lift the bonnet to look for chasis numbers or any signs it maybe a clone car or a writeoff. I thought this was part of the reason why this was introduced. Anyway, i think you have to contact the NCT center within 7 days of importing the car and have it clearing within 30.
I think the open market value that is used to calculate your VRT is well overpriced based on the existing car market in ireland at present.

Yep i did all that. Car was not in the NCT calculater so was waiting on them to come back with price.
They phoned today with it. Cant get in to them to pay until Tuesday Feb 1st would i avoid road tax for Jan.?

Fuzzman

Have many/any of ye imported a car from the Norf to the South recently with the 6 month owning it in the Norf rule?

Do they look for any other documentation? PM me

armaghniac

This us best described as Change of Residence.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

MasterShake

Hello all,

I have imported a vehicle from the north to the south and have a VRT inspection set up. Does anybody know if I have to fill in the V5C form and send it off to the address in Swansea? The form asks for a UK address, which won't work for me being based in Dublin.

TIA
"Calmer than you are".

Ambrose

Quote from: MasterShake on June 11, 2018, 02:03:09 PM
Hello all,

I have imported a vehicle from the north to the south and have a VRT inspection set up. Does anybody know if I have to fill in the V5C form and send it off to the address in Swansea? The form asks for a UK address, which won't work for me being based in Dublin.

TIA

You will need the V5 when you VRT the car.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Itchy

Quote from: MasterShake on June 11, 2018, 02:03:09 PM
Hello all,

TIA

You don't send it anywhere, bring it to the nct centre with you

MasterShake

Cheers for the replies folks.
"Calmer than you are".