Game of Thrones - Spoilers

Started by Dinny Breen, June 21, 2016, 10:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Tyson

What was the point of the build up and reveal that Jon was a Targaryen with that ending?

nrico2006

Quote from: Mike Tyson on May 21, 2019, 06:59:23 PM
What was the point of the build up and reveal that Jon was a Targaryen with that ending?

What was the point in all the episodes wasted on Brann, he was useless.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

SLIGONIAN

The white horse was Shadowfax and clearly Ayra is going east into a Middle Earth/Westoros spin off.  8)
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

NotedObserver

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 21, 2019, 08:35:51 PM
The white horse was Shadowfax and clearly Ayra is going east into a Middle Earth/Westoros spin off.  8)

Awful lot of similarities with LOTR

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: NotedObserver on May 21, 2019, 09:47:13 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 21, 2019, 08:35:51 PM

Awful lot of similarities with LOTR

John snow clearly modelled on Aragorn even down to the style of his armour which was very like the armour in Return of the King I thought. Also the cinematography was very Star Wars -esque(I know they are involved in SW but still...). It was a good closing though and opens up the door for spin offs etc.

trileacman

Quote from: thebigfella on May 21, 2019, 01:19:41 PM
They should have killed grey worm in the end. He just become annoying.

Seen a quote on twitter from someone who said they were delighted to see greyworm survive because he was black.  ::)

Isn't it wonderful that the survival of a fictional black character in fantasy magic dragon show can ameliorate the centuries of injustice. FFS this world is cowped.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Eamonnca1

Just finished the series last night, so I can finally look at this thread!

I thought the ending was fine. The only thing that was a little bit rushed was Dany's descent into evil, but there was plenty of foreshadowing in the early seasons for that. She'd promised she'd burn cities to the ground if people didn't follow her. She's like a female Genghis Khan, and that was foreshadowed in the golden crown incident where her brother had molten gold poured on his head (Genghis poured, I think, molten mercury into the eyes of a defeated enemy who wouldn't surrender). She started out with good intentions but become so carried away with her messiah complex that she lost sight of what she was supposed to be doing and ended up being a genocidal maniac, which I think is a great lesson.

I agree that Grey Worm was annoying and should have fought with Jon Snow at the end.

Jamie's end with Cersei was appropriate.

Cersei's hand character was killed by his own creation, a nice little Frankenstein moment.

The hound bate his brother in the end but had to sacrifice himself in the process.

Arya's set up nicely for a sequel. The way she took out the Night King was nice, but it'd have been cool if she killed him with a Needle modified with Valerian steel or Dragonglass, so Jon's first-season advice to "stick them with the pointy end" would have come full circle.

I like how they picked a new system of royal succession, although they just seemed to go with Tyrion's suggestion even though he had no authority at that point. I like how they laughed at the idea of democracy when Sam suggested it. And they were right, universal education is a prerequisite for democracy, and their society was a long way off that.

The boy that plays Bran ended up with the easiest job in acting. Christ, I could sit in a chair and stare into space myself.

Jon ended up in the North, although I was wondering why he seemed to abandon his post and go north of the wall with the free folk. That was probably a one-way ticket for him since he was abandoning the Night Watch. I was wondering why the wall was still being maintained, but I suppose there's always the risk of a future return of White Walkers.

The Night King was a sinister looking baddie who never spoke, although I never quite understood his motives.

The first show that took long story arcs like this was Babylon 5, and they messed up their story slightly by compressing two seasons into Season 4 because they thought they wouldn't get a 5th season. When they were renewed for a 5th season then they put together an unconvincing story to fill the remainder of the time. It's hard to get the long-form storytelling right, but I feel like GoT has pulled it off well.

The pacing of the last season was a bit slow and I felt like the episodes were longer than they needed to be. And it was a bit annoying that you'd need night vision goggles to see what's going on a lot of the time. But overall, a decent end to a remarkable achievement in television.

lurganblue

House of the Dragon is officially in production I see from the hype on twitter. A prequel to Game of Thrones. Should be out in 2022.

Hopefully it's a cracker.

bennydorano

House of the Dragon.

Decent first episode. Don't see it straying much from the GOT formula.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on August 22, 2022, 10:20:26 AM
House of the Dragon.

Are the episodes coming out weekly? I have never seen GoT so I'm working on the assumption that if I start with the new series it'll be a lead-in to GoT or is the plan that this is a spin-off rather than a prequel similar to Saul and Breaking Bad?

Throw It Up Ref

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 22, 2022, 01:44:05 PM
House of the Dragon.

Are the episodes coming out weekly? I have never seen GoT so I'm working on the assumption that if I start with the new series it'll be a lead-in to GoT or is the plan that this is a spin-off rather than a prequel similar to Saul and Breaking Bad?

Episodes are out weekly. First episode was very good.

Seems to be a prequel although it's hard to tell yet whether it will have much lead in if any to Game of Thrones.

TabClear

Quote from: Throw It Up Ref on August 22, 2022, 01:52:02 PM
House of the Dragon.

Episodes are out weekly. First episode was very good.

Seems to be a prequel although it's hard to tell yet whether it will have much lead in if any to Game of Thrones.

Its a Prequel 200 years before GOT

tiempo

I hear Quantum Leap is making a return, hands down one of the best all time series, watched the first few episodes a couple of weeks ago, great stuff altogether

trailer

Quote from: tiempo on August 22, 2022, 03:08:41 PM
I hear Quantum Leap is making a return, hands down one of the best all time series, watched the first few episodes a couple of weeks ago, great stuff altogether

Deadly. But you just know the remake will be shite.

From the Bunker

I'd watch Game of Thrones First. Many of the surprises are from the past.