Qualifiers.

Started by The Monument Road, June 04, 2017, 06:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

town1980

Act Tony your the biggest gobshite here and a lot of the posters here seem to agree

Tony

By saying we don't have great players and we need more than a manager to change laois gaa for the better? Yeah, that doesn't make sense at all what I'm saying does it.

Laoiseabu

Just seen the Sunday game highlights. The back line of Laois is in line with the worst in the whole country. Coughed up 7 goal chances to the worst outfit in the country. That's Wicklows biggest score this year. It will take more than Timmons and Attride coming back to solve it . Ohh wait they were back. If Donie wasn't there it would be below London standard I promise.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Laoiseabu, don't know if you were at the game but Attride started in the half forward line and Trevor Collins took up his position. This was Mark Timmons first championship game and we were also missing Booth and Niall Donoher. We need everyone, especially the backs to be fit enough to start and all our senior players showing leadership which sadly yesterday they didn't.

Quigley won a few great balls early on but picked up an injury and was substituted by Finn who had a good game and maybe should start with Quigley at midfield next day. I was disappointed with O'Loughlin and Begley and Quigley faded badly after a good start. O'Carroll came on and was showing good form till he picked up an injury.

Even Ross was poor enough when he came on and Conway never showed at all. These are all lads you need to be playing well and leading the team so hopefully they will do so the next day out.
Looking at the game on tv tonight we looked so unfit it's unbelievable. We were just plodding along with no runs off the ball or no-one running off the shoulder for a pass. Our first goal came from a bad pass from Donie which was meant for Begley but fell nicely for Gary and he finished very well. Even Antrim looked in better shape than us and it's no wonder we faded in the last 10 minutes and almost got caught by a much fitter and slicker Wicklow team.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on June 19, 2017, 12:54:52 AM
we faded in the last 10 minutes and almost got caught by a much fitter and slicker Wicklow team.

Dear God.
But alas, what you say is correct.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Playing Clare at home, probably the best draw we could have hoped for. We need all our players to stand up and really get stuck in as this is a winnable game.

http://www.laoistoday.ie/2017/06/19/draw-made-round-2-ireland-sfc-qualifiers/

Unison

This is as good a draw as Laois could expect, however, it is sickening to see that this team is not fit at this time of year.  Why should supporters bother their backsides going to matches when management and players are not interested in reaching the required level of fitness.

What is Creedon being paid for?

Giovanni

I think it's very hard for supporters to make a proper judgement about a team's fitness.

In the first half against Wicklow, they looked fit to me. There were plenty of runners and they seemed to move at a decent pace. In the second half, the opposite looked to be the case.

I would say for sure that they are not nearly as fit as they were when Barry Solan was in charge. On the other hand, I cannot believe that we are poorer than Wicklow when it comes to fitness. Sometimes, lack of fitness can be blamed for deeper problems.

As Junior says, some of our top players really weren't good enough yesterday.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Giovanni on June 19, 2017, 11:33:24 AM
I think it's very hard for supporters to make a proper judgement about a team's fitness.

In the first half against Wicklow, they looked fit to me. There were plenty of runners and they seemed to move at a decent pace. In the second half, the opposite looked to be the case.

I would say for sure that they are not nearly as fit as they were when Barry Solan was in charge. On the other hand, I cannot believe that we are poorer than Wicklow when it comes to fitness. Sometimes, lack of fitness can be blamed for deeper problems.

Lads, we are not unfit, we are being primed to peak in September when it counts!! In all seriousness, it might suit us to peak later in the year.

My observations of the team is that we have a number of good footballers who are not pacey enough and a number of pacey footballers who are not good enough. That is a product of our underage structure and no amount of fitness will increase true pace. Conceding those two late goals might be a blessing in disguise, we will have no illusions against Clare.

The Monument Road

I thought our fitness levels were poor. One thing i noticed was the structured warm up Wicklow had. They had at least two fitness guys doing the warm up, and they even had a fitness guy warming the replacements. I didnt see anything of the like with our lads. Wicklow were flying at the end where our lads were ready to drop.Thats a fitness issue. Also some of our lads were unable to take hits and went down easily enough i.e.. JOL, Brendan and Evan Carroll. Donie is way off the mark fitness wise as is Gary Walsh, McMahon and Conway.
As for the game itself it was like all qualifiers. Depending on the frame of mind your in you will do well and i thought some of our lads didnt want to be there and that included Donie. Did the dropping of his brother effect him?????

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Looks like Dessie Dolan doesn't have much faith in us for the "novel fixture" of Laois and Clare. It's only a year ago Dessie... !!!
https://twitter.com/RTEgaa/status/876711316508901376

Remember last years game..
http://www.the42.ie/clare-laois-football-2871430-Jul2016/

OTF

I wasn't at the match but  it was  a very hot day, looking at some  of the matches over the weekend and management were replacing runners early in the second half, would that have being part of the problem   ??.
Looking at the highlights last night  and 2 of their goals appeared lucky  ???  and we led by 8 and 9 points on 2 different occasions which would suggest to me that we were that much better.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

We were much better than them for the first 20 mins of the first half and the first 20 mins of the second half but it's those last 15 mins of each half that I am concerned about and it looks like its down to fitness. It was a sweltering hot day but it didn't seem to affect Wicklow as much as us. I might have been a bit harsh saying there was no off the ball running, there was some but a lot of the time we didn't pick out the runner.
It's only when you see clips of a few games together on tv that you notice how cumbersome we look compared to other teams and we seem very leg weary at times. That has to be down to fitness in my opinion but it's only year one of this managements methods and maybe we shouldn't be over critical just yet.

Don Draper

Wicklow came back at Laois, we held them off. With the game won, we emptied the bench, and the players packed up shop. That we nearly got caught again was amateurish in the extreme, but the truth is, we didn't. We are poor, Wicklow are very very poor. We bet them up a stick when we were bothered. We're no world beaters, but lads would want to calm down eugoogolising Wicklows fitness, they couldn't keep up with us in the first half when we cut them to shreds at will. We gave them goal chances, but when you haven't a full back line to speak of, chances are thats going to happen. Thats nothing against the boys there, they're just not at the races in those positions at the moment. Simple as that.

The game was won, we have a chance gain some revenge against Clare. What comes after that, well I think we can all imagine. 

Giovanni

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on June 19, 2017, 12:27:21 PM

Lads, we are not unfit, we are being primed to peak in September when it counts!! In all seriousness, it might suit us to peak later in the year.

My observations of the team is that we have a number of good footballers who are not pacey enough and a number of pacey footballers who are not good enough. That is a product of our underage structure and no amount of fitness will increase true pace. Conceding those two late goals might be a blessing in disguise, we will have no illusions against Clare.

I think this is a bigger issue than the fitness. We really don't have very much pace in the team at all and the better footballers are really quite slow by inter-country standards.