A Different Ball Game - The Future of the GAA in Northern Ireland

Started by Zulu, January 14, 2008, 08:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Pangurban - that's a reasonable point of view and a substantial step back from associating me with the worst values of corporate Ireland, etc. We can have a debate about the importance of flags and anthems as symbols. I think we both agree on their importance. Where we have diametrically opposing points of view is on whether their influence tends to be positive or negative. I've stated my view (well, more a feeling than a reasoned view, to be as honest as I can) on that.

Pangurban

Hardy i accept that you do not espouse the worst values of corporate Ireland, but your careless use of language plays into the Hands of those who do e.g. your use of the phrase..a rag on a Pole. Language is a powerful tool,and its careless use can be very destructive. Surely any nations Flag  merits a better description. We both know how symbols can be manipulated and used negatively,  particularly there use to assert supremacy or division. Hence the need to teach the proper values and importance of what they represent. We wont do that by decrying there use in a proper context. I believe a Gaelic Football Stadium, populated by Gaels is a fitting context, which should provide no offence to anyone.

Hardy

Fair enough. I just can't find it in me to revere pieces of cloth or passages of music, whatever they are meant to symbolise. I used the colourful language, not to offend, but to remind people what exactly it is that they are getting excited about and if they are offended by my calling names to a piece of cloth, I wonder.