Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhandefender

some hysterics and nonsense written on this board. I really wonder how many have actually played football. Sunday was disappointing for everyone but the only reason you would get rid of harte would be to have a new voice in the changing room.

I do not see any of the options put forward changing our style dramatically and certainly not to go all out man for man versus a team like the Dubs, they don't even do that. Its like you are buying in to the joe brolly bulls**t train!

We won ulster and made an AI semi. Ok we got annihilated but they will learn a lot. Harte isn't going to walk away and the county won't sack him can you imagine the outcry nation wide.

Harte is doing the best he can with this bunch, probably is time for change but certainly not as a result of telling mickey to f**k off.

That south tyrone/Fermanagh clown has been silent for the last 2 months then the knives are out.

Sunday was a prof side playing an amateur side. The GAA as a whole should be worried

WT4E

Quote from: redhandefender on August 31, 2017, 09:29:46 AM
some hysterics and nonsense written on this board. I really wonder how many have actually played football. Sunday was disappointing for everyone but the only reason you would get rid of harte would be to have a new voice in the changing room.

I do not see any of the options put forward changing our style dramatically and certainly not to go all out man for man versus a team like the Dubs, they don't even do that. Its like you are buying in to the joe brolly bulls**t train!

We won ulster and made an AI semi. Ok we got annihilated but they will learn a lot. Harte isn't going to walk away and the county won't sack him can you imagine the outcry nation wide.

Harte is doing the best he can with this bunch, probably is time for change but certainly not as a result of telling mickey to f**k off.

That south tyrone/Fermanagh clown has been silent for the last 2 months then the knives are out.

Sunday was a prof side playing an amateur side. The GAA as a whole should be worried

Theres been plenty examples in the past where legendary managers got heaved before they or others expected. Micko, Paudi there are more than that too.

I'm not saying getting rid of Mickey is the right or wrong thing to do but the way you put it you make it sound an impossibility which is nonsense also.

Something is going wrong between the age of 18-21 in Tyrone if you compare with Dublin in the last 10 years - Tyrone have a similar or possibly even better minor record than Dublin but when you compare this to the last 7-8 years of U21's its night and day between the two counties with Tyrone producing very little and Dublin's record is still at minor level or even better. Is the defensive football being bred at U21 level?

omagh_gael

I'm not calling for Mickey to go, in fact I think it would be a mistake. However, there can be no doubt that our tactical approach needs to change. It clearly won't do when it comes to the business end of the championship and it is piss poor to watch. The worrying thing is Mickey appears to be sticking to his guns according to media interviews after the game. I'm hoping that things are reviewed over the winter and a more attacking based approach is implemented. I'm not talking 6 forwards up front at all times but the one man in the entire half approach at the minute is a busted flush.

I

Up The Middle

The mans been there for 15 years. Surely at this stage its time to give someone else a crack at it. According to you whoever else comes in is going to fail straight away. Theres no way of knowing what will happen with a new manager but what we do know for certain is that if Harte stays then the style of defensive football remains and there is no future in it. Maybe another couple of Ulster titles but at what expense, ruining another promising batch of players with defensive crap.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

driveherin

All the current players are backing Mickey in the media because he is still there!!! when he goes I'd be surprised if you don't hear a different opinion!!! Same as all the ex players going to RTE as soon as they leave!

Club boi

Quote from: WT4E on August 31, 2017, 09:37:08 AM

Theres been plenty examples in the past where legendary managers got heaved before they or others expected. Micko, Paudi there are more than that too.

I'm not saying getting rid of Mickey is the right or wrong thing to do but the way you put it you make it sound an impossibility which is nonsense also.

Something is going wrong between the age of 18-21 in Tyrone if you compare with Dublin in the last 10 years - Tyrone have a similar or possibly even better minor record than Dublin but when you compare this to the last 7-8 years of U21's its night and day between the two counties with Tyrone producing very little and Dublin's record is still at minor level or even better. Is the defensive football being bred at U21 level?

I thought I heard the U-21 were EVEN MORE DEFENSIVE than the seniors. Why would anyone want to play in this system?? Its hard enough to watch but I would imagine playing it in would be soul destroying

redhandefender

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 31, 2017, 10:46:09 AM
I'm not calling for Mickey to go, in fact I think it would be a mistake. However, there can be no doubt that our tactical approach needs to change. It clearly won't do when it comes to the business end of the championship and it is piss poor to watch. The worrying thing is Mickey appears to be sticking to his guns according to media interviews after the game. I'm hoping that things are reviewed over the winter and a more attacking based approach is implemented. I'm not talking 6 forwards up front at all times but the one man in the entire half approach at the minute is a busted flush.

I

So your master plan is stick 2 men up front? Listen its a clear as day you never kicked a ball in your life from your posts. I will take Mickey Harte over your dung any day.

He was trying to come up with a plan to beat Dublin. By the league game it looked like it work. There is countless reasons as to why we didn't win on sunday but the easy target is the "game plan" because brolly says so.

Nobody else in ire has beat them in the championship in 3 years and won't This big problem in tyrone people harp on about still got us to an AI

southtyronegael

Redhandefender, you have ur head as far up ur hole as mickey Harte does and all the rest of the hangers on up in garvaghy bubble. Sad thing is they cant even see what's goin around them they are that blinkered.

Club boi

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 31, 2017, 12:50:16 PM
Redhandefender, you have ur head as far up ur hole as mickey Harte does and all the rest of the hangers on up in garvaghy bubble. Sad thing is they cant even see what's goin around them they are that blinkered.

+1

You couldnt defend the regime anymore Redhandefender

Redhand Santa

Hard to know where to start with last Sunday. It was a terrible performance and a huge let down. I think everyone expected a lot more from the team. I don't think anyone could question a defeat to the current Dublin team but the performance and what appeared to be almost a lack of effort/guts by a lot of the players was the biggest sickner and will be the hardest thing to recover from.

The usual boys will come on here and slag off Harte and blame everything on him. The same boys were quiet all summer after we won every game comfortably and gave Harte no credit for that. Personally I think Harte is an easy scapegoat for them. 3 years ago we looked miles away from even Donegal after a defeat to Armagh and have improved considerably from then.

There could well be an argument that Harte feels the need to play the system based on the players available. No matter what way you look at it we don't have top class corner backs and top class strong scoring forwards. Other than Colm Cavanagh we lack ball winners as well. I'm not sure any of these players have been available in Tyrone the last few years. So Harte has brought in a system to make use of the countless good running players we have which gives extra protection to the defence and ensures scores from all over the team.

I certainly don't think Harte can escape criticism for Sunday. We played right into Dublin's hands particularly on the kickout's. We did a half press on them which is the worst thing you can do against Dublin. I've no idea how he thought it would work. It meant Dublin always had a free man or two whilst pulling 4 or 5 of our players up the pitch and leaving plenty of space at the back.

I only want Harte to stay on if he is going to alter the system. We have to go back to basics. Players have to become obsessed with winning possession of the ball and move away from marking space. We have to stop inviting the big teams onto us in croke park and hope for turnovers and space to run into. We need to get back to pushing up on kickouts and fighting for possession around the middle.

I'd like to see us almost go back to the tactics of 03. A centre half back who drops back when we don't have the ball to protect the full back line and midfielder who covers in front of him. Half forwards dropping back when we don't have the ball. Other than that operate a much more man for man game were the players have much more individual responsibility and cant hide behind the system.

We need to somehow find two good tight marking corner backs with less focus on them running up the field. Obvious contenders are Brennan, Munroe, Cassidy etc though they all have a lot to prove. We need to find a ball winning midfielder, hopefully McClure can step up in this area. We also need to find a hard working physically strong half forward who can help out round the middle and drop back. I'm not sure if this is the role that best suits Mattie but either way we need to do something to get the best out of him in big games.

Full forward line could be the hardest one to fix. We've lots of similar nice forwards but they all struggle to win their own ball if its kicked in long which would have to be done more often playing a traditional game. I'm not convinced there is a huge number of options outside the current panel that will vastly improve the team in the short term anyway but maybe I'm wrong.

Redhand Santa

On another note the u17s deserve great credit for a brilliant performance in the final, particularly in the first half. Some great score taking and nice play. Canavan was a joy to watch. Thought the full back was excellent as well and munroe cut a lot of stuff out. Hopefully we see plenty of these players in the u20s and progressing over the next few years.

Up The Middle

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 31, 2017, 02:01:17 PM
Hard to know where to start with last Sunday. It was a terrible performance and a huge let down. I think everyone expected a lot more from the team. I don't think anyone could question a defeat to the current Dublin team but the performance and what appeared to be almost a lack of effort/guts by a lot of the players was the biggest sickner and will be the hardest thing to recover from.

The usual boys will come on here and slag off Harte and blame everything on him. The same boys were quiet all summer after we won every game comfortably and gave Harte no credit for that. Personally I think Harte is an easy scapegoat for them. 3 years ago we looked miles away from even Donegal after a defeat to Armagh and have improved considerably from then.

There could well be an argument that Harte feels the need to play the system based on the players available. No matter what way you look at it we don't have top class corner backs and top class strong scoring forwards. Other than Colm Cavanagh we lack ball winners as well. I'm not sure any of these players have been available in Tyrone the last few years. So Harte has brought in a system to make use of the countless good running players we have which gives extra protection to the defence and ensures scores from all over the team.

I certainly don't think Harte can escape criticism for Sunday. We played right into Dublin's hands particularly on the kickout's. We did a half press on them which is the worst thing you can do against Dublin. I've no idea how he thought it would work. It meant Dublin always had a free man or two whilst pulling 4 or 5 of our players up the pitch and leaving plenty of space at the back.

I only want Harte to stay on if he is going to alter the system. We have to go back to basics. Players have to become obsessed with winning possession of the ball and move away from marking space. We have to stop inviting the big teams onto us in croke park and hope for turnovers and space to run into. We need to get back to pushing up on kickouts and fighting for possession around the middle.

I'd like to see us almost go back to the tactics of 03. A centre half back who drops back when we don't have the ball to protect the full back line and midfielder who covers in front of him. Half forwards dropping back when we don't have the ball. Other than that operate a much more man for man game were the players have much more individual responsibility and cant hide behind the system.

We need to somehow find two good tight marking corner backs with less focus on them running up the field. Obvious contenders are Brennan, Munroe, Cassidy etc though they all have a lot to prove. We need to find a ball winning midfielder, hopefully McClure can step up in this area. We also need to find a hard working physically strong half forward who can help out round the middle and drop back. I'm not sure if this is the role that best suits Mattie but either way we need to do something to get the best out of him in big games.

Full forward line could be the hardest one to fix. We've lots of similar nice forwards but they all struggle to win their own ball if its kicked in long which would have to be done more often playing a traditional game. I'm not convinced there is a huge number of options outside the current panel that will vastly improve the team in the short term anyway but maybe I'm wrong.

If you cant blame the man who came up with the system and implemented it for 3 years who should we blame. Honestly its the same drivel from you all the time, youre defending the indefensible now. As for not been able to beat Donegal 3 years ago, maybe they have gone backwards and Tyrone have just stayed where they were.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

I've been saying the system is rubbish for ages. You would only use it if it beat more talented sides. It doesn't and never has. It's also moronic to suggest that Dublin play the same style because they also pull men back in numbers. They can do when required but they invariably have plenty of men in attack. It's not comparable to what Tyrone do. And I don't think anybody is suggesting Tyrone go man to man. But there is a big difference between going man to man and leaving one man up the field. It's something in between that is required. There are talented attacking players on that panel. Mickey needs to have more faith in them, and indeed in the ability of defenders to defend.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Up The Middle on August 31, 2017, 02:18:18 PM

If you cant blame the man who came up with the system and implemented it for 3 years who should we blame. Honestly its the same drivel from you all the time, youre defending the indefensible now. As for not been able to beat Donegal 3 years ago, maybe they have gone backwards and Tyrone have just stayed where they were.

What about Armagh have they gone backwards too? I'd say Armagh are around the same level they were then and Tyrone beat them by 17/18 points. We have improved from then, there is no doubt.

Unless we play Dublin again next Sunday without the system we wont know how much difference it made. Down in Kerry we tried to push up on them and are backs got cleaned out and we couldn't win the ball.

Is there a possibility that the players aren't good enough to win All Irelands at the minute and the system is getting the most out of them in terms of results?

Up The Middle

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 31, 2017, 02:32:13 PM
Quote from: Up The Middle on August 31, 2017, 02:18:18 PM

What about Armagh have they gone backwards too? I'd say Armagh are around the same level they were then and Tyrone beat them by 17/18 points. We have improved from then, there is no doubt.

Unless we play Dublin again next Sunday without the system we wont know how much difference it made. Down in Kerry we tried to push up on them and are backs got cleaned out and we couldn't win the ball.

Is there a possibility that the players aren't good enough to win All Irelands at the minute and the system is getting the most out of them in terms of results?

The players are more than good enough and if Micky cant get the best out of them then its time for him to step aside gracefully. His record in the past is not and never will be up for debate but hes clearly ran put of ideas and is just rehashing old defensive systems and expecting results. Mayo should be an example to Tyrone in how to get the best out of a group of players, Tyrone have equally as talented footballers as Mayo but are using them in the wrong way.