Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stillsenior

Quote from: RedHandTom on February 26, 2017, 07:02:50 PM
Quote from: Localexpert on February 26, 2017, 04:48:31 PM
Omagh pitch let's us all down again ...... ::)

Its beyond a joke at this stage. Far too many big games called off in Healy cos of a drop of rain.

Carrickmore unplayable as well. More than just a drop of rain

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Take Your Points on February 28, 2017, 10:15:31 AM
Quote from: RedHandTom on February 25, 2017, 11:25:43 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on February 25, 2017, 11:10:57 PM
RHTOM, what is ur suspicion? do you think a tyrone senior player actually sent this email?

I've nothing to base this on but my gut instinct tells me that no player sent an email. There are factions at county board level and I suspect this could be one of them trying to stir it up and expose things that are normally kept quiet.

An article which appears to explain financial problems but then goes into the area of player issues..........

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/money-isnt-everything-but-it-would-damn-help-tyrone-face-150000-postbrexit-extra-bill-for-training-centre-35488469.html

What are the players not getting that they'd spend an extra 1/2 million quid on?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Fuzzman

There was a lot of rain on Sat night and especially Sunday morning so I think most pitches around the country were water logged. Omagh is of course always prone to this and so you would imagine at this stage there would be some better communication set up between the Omagh officials and the referee that they could take pictures of the ground and send them to the ref. It's not that hard to go out on the pitch and let a ball drop into the puddles to see how bad it is.

Could the decision not have been made hours before the throw in time so that it could have been communicated to both teams and fans alike. With the technology people have on their phones now it would have been easy to record a video or an Omagh official walking around the pitch and then sending that to the ref so he can make a call even if he hasn't left home yet.
Has this not been discussed before by the county board or does nobody just want to take ownership of the problem?

Wee Roddy

Quote from: stillsenior on February 28, 2017, 10:30:15 AM

Its beyond a joke at this stage. Far too many big games called off in Healy cos of a drop of rain.

Was it really?It is Funny the seniors trained on it that morning.
Could there have been another reason for the pitch being unplayable??

SG08

Quote from: stillsenior on February 28, 2017, 10:30:15 AM

Carrickmore pitch was not prepared for a game on Sunday. May have been playable had they been given more than an hours notice.

Fuzzman

Will Garvaghey ever have the capacity and parking to host an intercounty game?
What's the likelyhood Omagh won't be ready for this Sat night? Forecast doesn't look great.

SG08

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 28, 2017, 11:17:05 AM
What's the likelyhood Omagh won't be ready for this Sat night? Forecast doesn't look great.

When the weather is so bad that Omagh can't hold it I'm sure Garvaghey would be a lovely place for a game...

The Trap

This is what the recent changes (last 2 years) will mean for club football in Tyrone in 2018:

County minors are not allowed to play for the club seniors until Tyrone are beat in minor championship (somewhere between end of May and end of August)
County minors are not allowed to train with the club at minor or senior level for the same period
17 year olds are not allowed to play for the club seniors/reserves
County Under 20s will be preparing for a summer championship match thus not training with the club and probably missing games for friendlies etc at the managers wishes.
County seniors will be playing O'Fiach Cup, McKenna Cup, National League, Ulster Championship and Super 8s if they qualify as expected. All of this has to be squeezed in by end of August.
In Tyrone there are usually 5 starred games to accommodate county players and they then play the rest of the club league games. Where are these club games going to be fitted into a compressed schedule? There wont be much of a gap between end of league and start of Ulster championship and between Ulster championship games and then on to qualifiers/super 8s.
The answer is there will be very little if any opportunity to play for the club.

For people who say that these proposals will help club football I think you don't understand the reality of the situation. Personally I have no time for the county scene any more but I know lots of people who go to county games that have no allegiance to any club. The fixtures makers in Tyrone already have a nightmare, we don't know the dates of any league or championship matches in any divisions and normally don't know what is happening from one week to the next. 2018 is going to be an absolute nightmare and it is only when we are going through it that people will realise the extent of the problem.

Anybody who can come back to me during/after the 2018 club season in Tyrone and can tell me any different to the nightmare scenario above I will be glad to say I was wrong.

youhavenofans

Garvaghey has only one pitch with a fence around it, I don't think it would be too safe to play a county game on a pitch where there isn't some form of barrier to prevent supporters entering (you see some mad c***ts at games dying to get onto the pitch).

I could think of 5 club grounds that would be better suited to hold a county game than Garvaghey i.e. Carrickmore, Killyclogher, Lough, Dungannon

I know these grounds aren't ideal for a county game but a better option than Garvaghey

Degrassi Hi

Quote from: youhavenofans on February 28, 2017, 12:47:12 PM

Garvaghey has only one pitch with a fence around it, I don't think it would be too safe to play a county game on a pitch where there isn't some form of barrier to prevent supporters entering (you see some mad c***ts at games dying to get onto the pitch).

I could think of 5 club grounds that would be better suited to hold a county game than Garvaghey i.e. Carrickmore, Killyclogher, Lough, Dungannon

I know these grounds aren't ideal for a county game but a better option than Garvaghey

There is no doubt that the venues you have named would be better equipped to host the crowd for a county fixture in comparison to Garvaghey but none of them will be of any use this Saturday evening at 7pm.

The Omagh venue has had to cancel several fixtures both club and county in recent times at very short notice, we will no doubt have a call from our penny pinching county board to build a new stadium to host these games but in my opinion the money would be better spent upgrading the likes of Carrickmore & Dungannon to floodlit venues to give more options for club and county fixtures to proceed. Come to think of it Dungannon would probably need more than lights to upgrade their facilities but still a reasonably good venue none the less.

smort

Quote from: Degrassi Hi on February 28, 2017, 02:03:12 PM
Quote from: youhavenofans on February 28, 2017, 12:47:12 PM

There is no doubt that the venues you have named would be better equipped to host the crowd for a county fixture in comparison to Garvaghey but none of them will be of any use this Saturday evening at 7pm.

The Omagh venue has had to cancel several fixtures both club and county in recent times at very short notice, we will no doubt have a call from our penny pinching county board to build a new stadium to host these games but in my opinion the money would be better spent upgrading the likes of Carrickmore & Dungannon to floodlit venues to give more options for club and county fixtures to proceed. Come to think of it Dungannon would probably need more than lights to upgrade their facilities but still a reasonably good venue none the less.

Dungannon needs a lot of work. Pitch wouldn't be the greatest and the changing facilities are dated. Also don't think it has great access in terms of location

Tyrone95

Unfortunately I think the reality is Omagh will continue to host the county games regardless if other clubs such as Carrickmore or Dgn get floodlights, mainly down to the fact of the stand and capacity which they hold.. Would a solution of draining and re surfacing Healy park be a more viable solution?

RedHandTom

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 28, 2017, 09:25:50 PM
i see sean cavanagh has issued a statement via tyrone pro stating  the tyrone team are happy with the funding they recieve from county board. i think most people have seen through hartes attempt to discredit roisin jordan.

Honestly, if Mickey Harte was behind that letter I'd be disgusted with him.
Is there any evidence to suggest he has or is it just empty speculation?

StGallsGAA

i see sean cavanagh has issued a statement via tyrone pro stating  the tyrone team are happy with the funding they recieve from county board. i think most people have seen through hartes attempt to discredit roisin jordan.

For someone who can't spell or use punctuation you're quite the Miss Marple!  ;D

southtyronegael

Quote from: StGallsGAA on February 28, 2017, 09:51:02 PM

For someone who can't spell or use punctuation you're quite the Miss Marple!  ;D
sorry sir il get my secretary to proof read my posts from now on.lol