Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Club boi

Quote from: Fuzzman on December 14, 2016, 09:24:47 AM
Was glad to read that they brought in this coach to try work on kicking and hitting frees.
Like I said before I'd really like to see Peter Harte going back to hitting our frees as confidence is a big part of it and usually now Ronan, McAliskey and McCurry all struggle in games with the blanket defence which in turn affects their confidence.

I presume Morgan has a high success rate in training. Does he miss many at club level?

Same as County. Scores when teams winning by 5 or 6. Never nails them when it's needed

And as for rrhf he ain't a Goalie. Plays Midfield. Not even the best Keeper in Edendork

EastTyrone

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 14, 2016, 01:24:05 PM
Quote from: rrhf on December 14, 2016, 01:05:42 PM
It is not currently needed.  However I welcome this thought from the chair - I  think its forward thinking and the debate needs to start on this.  With the Dubs success being powered by larger contributions from Croke Park in 10 years time we want to be having 18 - 30K + at all home league and championship games.,  Theres a fanatical interest in supporting the county if the clubs are used in this process correctly and rightly - if that is where this is coming from.  If the stadium can be a sustainable model ultimately sending money back to the clubs, paying for county set ups and can gain appropriate funding then I think it would be a great thing.  As an eastern Tyrone supporter I really dont think Omagh is the spot for it either, it needs to be Dungannon or Ballygawley and I think Dungannon offers more.  It has to be based on an income generating model post funding.   I assume they will get Casement right second time around but if it fails everyone need a fall back and the fall back is more than likely Mid Ulster.

Some good points there.

I am not against a new stadium or good county venue in the east even though it was suggested for Ballygawley. Although should we not tackle a couple of other issues firts.  Why was fixtures not addressed? Why was there not a number of apologies from the chairwoman. Messed up county final replay. Messed up the junior final. Constant mess up of league fixtures.
You might say this was the CCC's fault but someone has to take responsibility and Roisin is currently the boss.

All this was, was a distraction from the horrible job she has done since taking chair.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 14, 2016, 07:51:10 PM
Quote from: seanmc123 on December 14, 2016, 08:53:26 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on December 13, 2016, 10:22:33 PM
pile of shite. dont know what the point was havin tyrone players at dave alreds kicking seminar when all they are ever gonna do is run and fist pass the ball in games. garvaghy might be a magnificent setup but it wont ever gloss over how poor our current football style is.

Do you or have you played football at a high level ? Never seen a negative man like you, Tyrone are up there with the top counties and you don't get behind them. Better off saying nothing if you have nothing good to say "MOUTH"
ah yeah pretend everything is hunky dory and say nothing. the top counties are dublin, mayo and kerry. tyrone havent beaten any of them in 6 attempts since 08 so we are not up there with them. we deffo have the potential but are not realising it and people need to wake up.

Did it ever cross your mind that Tyrone maybe haven't been good enough to beat those teams since 08? We didn't have much joy in the 100 years before 03 so maybe just maybe it isn't that unrealistic that after we had to move on from our greatest team ever that we couldn't get back to that level el straight away.

Maybe just maybe Mickey Harte has got the best out of the players to keep us a competitive top 8 team since 08. Two all Ireland semi places in recent years and an Ulster title last year with only one defeat in the year by a point might suggest he's building another decent team. I've no doubt he'll learn from last year and we'll see a more attacking approach.

longballin

Too dependent on Sean Cavanagh. Dragged them over line to win Ulster final and no-one could finish the job when he was sent off against Mayo. He can't carry them forever.

southtyronegael

nobody would be happier than me to see us play a more expansive attacking game next year. but i honestly believe we have underachieved since 08. dont forget we won all ireland minor titles in 04, 08 and 2010 so its not like we havent been producing the talent. no other county can touch us for underage success so why are we content with ulster titles this last 8 yrs?

rrhf

You are right. It's called the conveyor belt.  :P

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 14, 2016, 11:12:08 PM
nobody would be happier than me to see us play a more expansive attacking game next year. but i honestly believe we have underachieved since 08. dont forget we won all ireland minor titles in 04, 08 and 2010 so its not like we havent been producing the talent. no other county can touch us for underage success so why are we content with ulster titles this last 8 yrs?

I don't think people are content, and to me that's progress. Tyrone now HAVE to be reaching semi finals year in, year out and I like to think we've all but established a structure and culture like Dublin and Kerry, that only winning is good enough.

I know that contrasts slightly, but hopefully the point comes across.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

LeoMc

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 14, 2016, 11:12:08 PM
We have had only 1 u-21 win in all that time. Thaat suggests to me the players are not developing beyond minor. The 1 team which won has been fairly well brought through.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Club boi on December 14, 2016, 07:53:28 PM

And as for rrhf he ain't a Goalie. Plays Midfield. Not even the best Keeper in Edendork

Suffering Christ.

Morgan is the best keeper in the county by a mile, he commands his area very well, he is a fantastic shot stopper, he has a good range of kickouts. The free taking responsibility should be taken off him, we just don't have a free taker who is reliable from 45 yards out so it's time to come up with an alternative here, these players have to be wise enough to know you don't always have to have a crack at the posts from this range.

He has had a few bad days on kickouts but this is just par the course for keepers nowadays, Cluxton had a meltdown in the All Ireland semi-final this and one of the goals he was responsible for was a kickout that went astray, Durcan the year before did the same in an All Ireland final. There is no keeper exempt from this trend and clearly it's do with management teams across the country being obsessed with retaining the ball and building from the back, it's a very high risk strategy and cost us against Kerry in 2015 but it's happened all the top keepers at some stage.

Morgan will be the no.1 next year and deservedly so, may I point to Mickey O'Neill's performance in the drawn game against Cavan and illustrate the importance of a keeper who will take responsibility and control over balls launched in on the square. O'Neill was all at sea for two of those goals and Morgan rightly got a recall on the back of it.

omagh_gael

I have been saying for a long time that we should work on methods to create scoring opportunities from long range free kicks instead of taking pot shots with unreliavle/under confident free takers.

In the Mayo match we had a free in 3rd quarter about 38 yards out close to hogan stand. A runner made a run from 20m line towards Petey Harte (the free taker) and popped a pass back to him on the over lap. Petey had a much easier shot and nailed it. Surely 3/4 plays could be worked up on the training ground to create better chances from the areas where we miss so much.

BennyHarp

Quote from: omagh_gael on December 15, 2016, 08:22:25 PM
I have been saying for a long time that we should work on methods to create scoring opportunities from long range free kicks instead of taking pot shots with unreliavle/under confident free takers.

In the Mayo match we had a free in 3rd quarter about 38 yards out close to hogan stand. A runner made a run from 20m line towards Petey Harte (the free taker) and popped a pass back to him on the over lap. Petey had a much easier shot and nailed it. Surely 3/4 plays could be worked up on the training ground to create better chances from the areas where we miss so much.

Couldn't agree more. We have guys that are excellent long range point kickers - Cavanagh, Matty D, Petey and even Richie Donnelly. We should be working any free kick outside 40m to them in scoring positions instead of hitting demoralising pot shots.
That was never a square ball!!

southtyronegael

when u name them all out like that we really do have alot of fine players to pick from. particularly in the forward/midfield division. so why are we playing such defensive football? how much time is spent in training working on forward play?. this team should be winning all irelands.

redzone

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 15, 2016, 10:05:13 PM
when u name them all out like that we really do have alot of fine players to pick from. particularly in the forward/midfield division. so why are we playing such defensive football? how much time is spent in training working on forward play?. this team should be winning all irelands.

3-14 v Derry
0-16 v Cavan
5-18 v Cavan
0-13 v donegal
Flopped against mayo. Speaking to one of the players after that game and they said they just didn't perform on the day. If we had of won by a point we would prob have been in an all Ireland final. Small margins

southtyronegael

Quote from: redzone on December 15, 2016, 10:38:12 PM

3-14 v Derry
0-16 v Cavan
5-18 v Cavan
0-13 v donegal
Flopped against mayo. Speaking to one of the players after that game and they said they just didn't perform on the day. If we had of won by a point we would prob have been in an all Ireland final. Small margins
im not sure why your quoting those scorelines? we scored a total of 25 points against the 2 div 1 teams we played. we have work to do.

BennyHarp

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 15, 2016, 11:06:55 PM
Quote from: redzone on December 15, 2016, 10:38:12 PM

3-14 v Derry
0-16 v Cavan
5-18 v Cavan
0-13 v donegal
im not sure why your quoting those scorelines? we scored a total of 25 points against the 2 div 1 teams we played. we have work to do.

I know you have a major downer on Mickey but I genuinely saw signs of a more positive approach last year. Some of the attacking from deep in numbers was a joy to watch in the early games of the championship. We didn't manage to really bring that to the Mayo game but I think there is an attacking strategy developing based on pace from deep mixed with a few more long balls. Check out our goals v Derry as an example. I don't think we've perfected it against the top teams and I'd be keen to see how we fair in Div 1 this year. I'm happy to give a man with Mickey's record the benefit of the doubt after the past two years where a lot of new players have been blooded and progress has been made in the form of AI semi places and an Anglo Celt.
That was never a square ball!!