Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

People get far too carried away with the mouthing, it's not nice but it happens in every competitive sport and has done long before this Tyrone team came along!
That was never a square ball!!

vallankumous

Quote from: omagh_gael on December 05, 2016, 08:07:23 PM
Beanman, did you see the Mayo match? Our defence needs to tone down the nastiness a notch or two. Some of the antics I witnessed (thinking of McNamee and McCarron mainly) were embarrassing and add the square root of f**k all to our game.

I like it, it brings an edge to the game.

tothetop03

Would love to see mouthing addressed a few cards and a suspension to follow would put an end to that sort of behaviour... What sort of an organisation are we turning into we challange every single sending off with an appeal we try to cheat and con our way through every game!! This is not Tyrone this is every club and County Team in Ireland....

Fuzzman

Most people don't like it but turn a blind eye to it when its their own team and whether we like it or not we have a bad name for it at this stage. I'm not so sure does Kerry, Dublin and Mayo use it as much as Ulster teams. I'd say Philly McMahon appears to talk a lot to his man, not so sure about Keegan.

It does seem strange that in one hand Mickey has them saying the rosary before games but then allows this nonsense to go on and does it really pay off that much.

Not much talk about Meyler now after him doing so well last year in the league. Are people not expecting him to kick on and get a starting place in that half forward line. How would he fair in at FF?
I remember some of ye saying he was very poor in the Tyrone league & championship this year.

vallankumous

Quote from: Fuzzman on December 06, 2016, 10:01:19 AM
Most people don't like it but turn a blind eye to it when its their own team and whether we like it or not we have a bad name for it at this stage. I'm not so sure does Kerry, Dublin and Mayo use it as much as Ulster teams. I'd say Philly McMahon appears to talk a lot to his man, not so sure about Keegan.

It does seem strange that in one hand Mickey has them saying the rosary before games but then allows this nonsense to go on and does it really pay off that much.

Not much talk about Meyler now after him doing so well last year in the league. Are people not expecting him to kick on and get a starting place in that half forward line. How would he fair in at FF?
I remember some of ye saying he was very poor in the Tyrone league & championship this year.

I see no connection in these two things.
Anyone who thinks Mickey Harte is responsible for or can put an end to sledging is living in a cave on mars.

Fuzzman

Mickey is the team manager and if he wanted to stop it he just warns the players that if anybody is seen doing it then they will be taken off and not played any more. It's one of these wink and a nudge things that managers do. They say one thing but what they do is very different.
Of course I understand there will always be things that go on in games that are unsightly or outside the rules but it looked like last year that Tyrone upped the sledging for the match against Mayo and a I would say Harte never commented on it to his players afterwards.
If the manager doesn't condemn it then it will continue to grow.

vallankumous

Quote from: Fuzzman on December 06, 2016, 12:33:58 PM
Mickey is the team manager and if he wanted to stop it he just warns the players that if anybody is seen doing it then they will be taken off and not played any more. It's one of these wink and a nudge things that managers do. They say one thing but what they do is very different.
Of course I understand there will always be things that go on in games that are unsightly or outside the rules but it looked like last year that Tyrone upped the sledging for the match against Mayo and a I would say Harte never commented on it to his players afterwards.
If the manager doesn't condemn it then it will continue to grow.

If Mickey Harte starts acting like he's their mother Tyrone will be in big trouble.
It's 30+ highly charged and highly motivated men he's dealing with in a very tense situation not an U12 school team at a blitz.
If we sit back and look at this with honesty instead of the feigned outrage of an RTE panel and INM columnist we might get somewhere.

southtyronegael

every manager is responsible for how his team plays/conducts themselves. thats what they are there for. id say the sledging has got worse with tyrone since mickey took in gavin devlin and the only way to stamp it out is to get rid of both of them. bring in a new manager to make our great county the envy of all others because be under no illusion, the sledging and shit thats goes on is totally counter productive. when rte/gaa is against you then every ref in the country is too, as weve seen already in a number of big games in croke park.

vallankumous

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 06, 2016, 01:02:31 PM
every manager is responsible for how his team plays/conducts themselves. thats what they are there for. id say the sledging has got worse with tyrone since mickey took in gavin devlin and the only way to stamp it out is to get rid of both of them. bring in a new manager to make our great county the envy of all others because be under no illusion, the sledging and shit thats goes on is totally counter productive. when rte/gaa is against you then every ref in the country is too, as weve seen already in a number of big games in croke park.

That's some leap.

RTE are unaccountable in Tyrone as there are no licence fee payers in Tyrone. They couldn't care less about Tyrone. Dublin is where they are mostly accountable but for GAA related shows it changes. Dublin, Kerry, Cork etc is where their target GAA audience is. Not Tyrone. Tyrone audience is expendable. The same for INM.

Fuzzman

Vallankumous, it's not just RTE panel but you can see on here, those of us that are honest enough to admit that we see it going on and we wish it would stop. Whilst I know SouthTyroneGael is on a mission to get rid of Mickey I do agree with him that it seems to have got worse since Horse has come into the fray.

I realise it's too easy for us sitting at our keyboards to judge and I appreciate the hard work and intensity the players have to operate under in tough competitive games but I just don't think it needs to go on to the level we've seen the last few years against Donegal for example. Kerry and Dublin have a huge rivalry but you don't see the same sledging going on in those games in my opinion. Maybe so between Donaghy and McMahon.

Even if they toned it down a bit without the obvious roaring in players faces.

Maybe Mickey uses it for the siege mentality effect to motivate the players. If everyone hates us then we will raise our game and play better.

omagh_gael

Fair point Beanman, Just really has ramped up the verbal etc over the last number of years. Ironically enough he's one of the most civil lads you could meet.

For me the verbals  are a waste of oxygen and focus. After our game the dub defenders hit hard and fair and I didn't witness one element of verbals at all. If I was a donegal attacker that wold would hurt more. If the defender proceeded to scream in my face after the ball had gone I'd fight ten times harder when the next ball comes in.

nrico2006

I can't get over the yapping about 'sledging' that goes on.  I remember every sport I have played from a young age having slabbers involved, nothing new and if someone reacts to it then that's their problem.  How someone gets to adult football in this country and doesn't let slabbering run off their backs is beyond me.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

redzone

Back to the football. I missed ronan mcnabb on my team for next year that I named earlier. He could be an option at full back after Sunday's league final. Worth a go anyway

Mikhailov

Quote from: redzone on December 06, 2016, 09:12:27 PM
Back to the football. I missed ronan mcnabb on my team for next year that I named earlier. He could be an option at full back after Sunday's league final. Worth a go anyway

Are you still playing Monroe in 2 positions?

redzone

Quote from: Mikhailov on December 06, 2016, 09:15:15 PM
Quote from: redzone on December 06, 2016, 09:12:27 PM

Are you still playing Monroe in 2 positions?

U must have missed the correction I made. Scroll back up, and turn ure notifications of