Qualifiers.

Started by The Monument Road, June 04, 2017, 06:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Great to see Mark back in the team. He's been very patient and fair play to him for an excellent recovery. Good to see K. Lillis back too but harsh on young Kelly who I thought has performed quite well. Seems like only now that we have nearly all players back that we have a little bit of depth on the panel. Fantastic to see Stephen named, too. On a sunny day which it will be tomorrow I can only see a Laois victory. Let's try build momentum in the qualifiers and express ourselves. Nothing to lose this year - give it your all. We've a lot to work on over the coming years but lets not forget, we still have some very good players on our panel and it'll be great to see them perform to their potential if we build momentum a bit. IF we beat WW, of course it will be a tough draw but Clare or Meath (if they lose to Kildare) could be winnable. Lots of players like Quigley, Begley, Timmons, Attride are unfortunately not as fit as they would be due to injuries but everyone trying hard. Very surprised that Conway is not named but would like to see him come in for a good chunk of the game.

ILikeStrawberryJam

The one encouraging thing is that no one dropped out after the kildare hiding ..

Respect to the lads for that !!

Would still like to see Dillon in the team for his pace .. team is crying out for that ..

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Great that we have lads on the bench who can actually make a difference when they come in. I think that if we can get over this one, which we should, we can go into the next one with real confidence.

Not because beating Wicklow would be anything special but because of the squad we have who, to be honest have not performed at all this year apart from the Longford game. Really looking forward to this now, onwards and upwards.. 😂
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

The Monument Road

Best of luck to the lads tomorrow evening. The best available are on the first 21. The team picked tells you the tactics will be ultra defensive with Lillis picked as a forward and probably staying around midield/halfback leaving room for our scorer in chief Donie and hopefully his brother Paul and young Carroll. Alan Farrell and JOLwill be used as runner/ball carriers from expected turnovers, Simple as :-*  I know nothing about Wicklow but do have a nightmarish memory of that tight pitch in Aughrim and that famous 1986 hot summers day day when we were ambushed.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Tony

In recent times though we've easily brushed them aside. This one shouldn't be any different. Respect to Wicklow but we should be a class above.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Let's hope we still have an interest in this on Monday morning.
This is how it works....

Round 2A Football Qualifier Draw.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Laois/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=271714&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Monument Road

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on June 16, 2017, 08:04:23 PM
Let's hope we still have an interest in this on Monday morning.
This is how it works....

Round 2A Football Qualifier Draw.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Laois/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=271714&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Funny enough i'd love to have another shot at Kildare especially on their own patch. It would be a spicy affair. Clare is another one i'd love especially after last years defeat. The rest would be tough although they might not have an appetite for the qualifiers

Junior Ex Laoistalk

I was thinking the very same Monument, there is no way we could be as bad again as we were in Tullamore and I feel we would have the beating of Clare.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on June 17, 2017, 01:40:17 AM
I was thinking the very same Monument, there is no way we could be as bad again as we were in Tullamore and I feel we would have the beating of Clare.

How so ?  Have we not been bad all year, is it not more likely it will be more of the same.  We would not beat Kildare or Clare in our current form.

Also how anyone can think Mark Timmons back into the Laois team is anything other than a move of complete desperation, is obviously off their head.  No disrespect to Mark who is a fine player but he is only on the comeback trail after what was a pretty desperate injury.  Also with forward thinking half backs as corner backs I don't think that makes his life any easier.  If we did not have Kingston I would fear for us against Wicklow.  But we do and I expect a win.

County Man

Great to see Mark Timmons starting. Hes been a very reliable defender for Laois for many years now and I have no doubt he will deliver another solid performance today. He could have taken the easy option and not committed this year but full credit to him for staying with the panel and making a full recovery. A well deserved start today.

Great to see our captain back today. The defence will strengthen today with Attride. Great pace as well.

In terms of the game, it being in Aughrim is worth 3 points to Wicklow. On a swelthering, hot day energy will be sapped. Expect it to be tight for a while but I fully believe Laois will win. Would like to see Gary Walsh getting some game time.

Laois ABU. Best of luck.

Tony

Ballyroan, Mark was recovering from surgery, not injury. He's been training since March and playing for his club since April. If you think putting one of the most solid full backs in the country in after months of training and club / Laois challenge games is....desperation....I really have to question YOUR judgement my friend. It's a no-brainer, especially with Booth out. Mark has been back for months, just not match fit until recently. He played very well against Louth and Wexford. Not worth debating anymore. Correct decision by Mngment.

Laoiseabu

Some people here after finding false optimism from where? Another crack at Kildare? Sure we are way behind Kildare what has changed since ? I'd say Clare are a 5/6/7 point better team than us at the moment too. Even if we beat Wicklow what does it prove or solve like? It just proves we beat struggling division 4 Wicklow sure. It's not a quick fix like. On another note I'm looking forward to Kildare Meath on sky sports tonight 😊😊

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Tony on June 17, 2017, 12:39:18 PM
Ballyroan, Mark was recovering from surgery, not injury. He's been training since March and playing for his club since April. If you think putting one of the most solid full backs in the country in after months of training and club / Laois challenge games is....desperation....I really have to question YOUR judgement my friend. It's a no-brainer, especially with Booth out. Mark has been back for months, just not match fit until recently. He played very well against Louth and Wexford. Not worth debating anymore. Correct decision by Mngment.

Hip Surgery for a an Hip problem is that not a injury,  I seen him playing on April 30th  against Stradbally  and he did not look anywhere near match fit or at his best

town1980

me that knows nothing,,,team thats stated is not the correct team expect changes