The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

les Antiques

Not the worst appointment . Kelly will take no sh*t  whatsoever and lads will be either on board his train or not . Best of luck to him .
Selector appointments will be interesting .

Don Draper

Quote from: les Antiques on November 08, 2016, 08:58:39 AM
Not the worst appointment . Kelly will take no sh*t  whatsoever and lads will be either on board his train or not . Best of luck to him .
Selector appointments will be interesting .
You'd feel for him, because its most likely he'll find the situation to be similar to that in Offaly last year, the full deck won't be available to him. However unlike Offay, where they and their fat arses were lazy, Laois' players will be burnt out and either taking a year out, or retired.

Are Tipp our new overlords?

Unlaoised

Not exactly a show stopping appointment but sure what did we expect...I heard he was at the county final replay but so were so many others from a close proximity after what the read heard or saw of the first game.

Maybe Ken hogan could be part of his back room staff?
LAOIS ABÚ

les Antiques

Maybe Ken hogan could be part of his back room staff

That would be a good call I think .

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Keyser Söze

Hard to know what to make of this.

He left Offaly for one of two reasons;

1) He couldn't be bothered dealing any longer with a handful of troublesome players and former "greats" in the media.
2) He wanted more money.

I don't think either looks great from our point of view.

Apparently he had a very good set up in Offaly- but that doesn't necessarily mean much considering he was coming after the shambles that was Brian Whelehan's set up!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Joeythelips

In fairness he has lots of experience, he seems like a decent appointment.

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: finbar o tool on November 07, 2016, 11:32:36 PM
He stated "personal and business demands on my time is too much at the moment", that was less than 3 months ago?!
Wouldnt know much about his management 'style' etc but he has a decent track record and experience, i wouldnt read too much into last year with Offaly. Wonder who he'll have as coaches/selectors?
Hopefully the lads can buy into the set up and maybe not play as defensive next year.
Best of luck to him!

If he was travelling up from Tipp each day, the run to Tullamore would add 45 mins each way over a trip to Portlaoise. 90 mins per training day is some saving.

finbar o tool

Quote from: Dave like the tv channel on November 08, 2016, 05:53:08 PM
He stated "personal and business demands on my time is too much at the moment", that was less than 3 months ago?!
Wouldnt know much about his management 'style' etc but he has a decent track record and experience, i wouldnt read too much into last year with Offaly. Wonder who he'll have as coaches/selectors?
Hopefully the lads can buy into the set up and maybe not play as defensive next year.
Best of luck to him!

If he was travelling up from Tipp each day, the run to Tullamore would add 45 mins each way over a trip to Portlaoise. 90 mins per training day is some saving.

I think that statement he made is bullshit, covering up an underlying problem there. From looking at the Offaly forum some people think the players were happy with him and he brought a very pro set up but the county board wouldnt fully back him for what he wanted to do or something to that effect?
I think Conor Gleeson is coming with him from last year.
Interesting that Butch Stapleton wins player of the year this year after leaving the county team, and Darren Maher did the same thing last year! Were they happier and hurling better for being being away from the set up? That cant be a good thing? Has it become too much of a commitment for some?
Hope the lads all commit and give it everything. anyone hear of any retirements etc? Will Zane be there next year?
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Keyser Söze

Best of luck to him!

Not true. He's from Kildangan. That's 1 hour 10 mins to Tullamore and 58 mins to Portlaoise. No difference.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 08, 2016, 11:44:43 PM
Best of luck to him!

Not true. He's from Kildangan. That's 1 hour 10 mins to Tullamore and 58 mins to Portlaoise. No difference.

I was thinking more of someone travelling up and down the M7. Anyway, I don't care either way. I hope he's a good placement for us and drives us on.

What I see is that when we were coming good in the early 1980s and 1990s, we had competitive championships that produced winners that went into Leinster with a fighting chance. We need to get our basics back in order and build from bottom up....

Don Draper

Quote from: finbar o tool on November 08, 2016, 06:45:23 PM
Interesting that Butch Stapleton wins player of the year this year after leaving the county team, and Darren Maher did the same thing last year! Were they happier and hurling better for being being away from the set up? That cant be a good thing? Has it become too much of a commitment for some?
Not very interesting really. Butch himself would have been as pleasantly surprised as anyone to pick up that award. Consider who selects these things, its got little to do with anything. Butch and Darren are lovely fellas, but does anyone who watched this and last years Championships think they stood out head and shoulders above all else? Not really. Any of 5 from BK could have gotten, as the same with CB last year.

les Antiques

What is the process in choosing the Player of the year or is there such a system in place ?

Unlaoised

Quote from: les Antiques on November 09, 2016, 11:05:19 AM
What is the process in choosing the Player of the year or is there such a system in place ?

now that would be interesting to find out...

Kellys cv looks okay to fair when you read that piece!
LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

I see Kelly is saying that he was convinced by Conor Gleeson to step back into intercounty hurling because he see's the potential in Laois and has praised the hard work Cheddar has done.
He also said that one of the reasons he left Offaly was due to the level of abuse he got following the defeat to Westmeath both in person and online.
In fairness that kind of abuse comes with the job nowadays, just ask the likes of Davy Fitz or any other amount of intercounty managers.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi