Soccer in GAA grounds ?

Started by Junior B, October 03, 2018, 12:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

You'd be taking an awful risk doing what you planned. I also think strong possibility sports capital grant people, knowing GAA rules, would not offer you funding.

Eamonnca1

GAA rules won't allow soccer on your grounds. If I had my way that rule would be relaxed so GAA clubs could rent out to soccer if they have availability. The soccer people are going to play their game anyway, we might as well make a bit of money from it instead of having idle field time.

Milltown Row2

They should have it stand alone and it should be for the community to use for whatever sports that can be done on a pitch site, hockey, basketball, hurling, football soccer and rugby..

if the club is well organised then they won't lose too many kids to the other sports, plus it's better having transferable skills from other sports which actually benefit the GAA teams

There is a council run 4g pitch in Belfast which has a soccer game on it at 2pm every Saturday and Gaelic games before it and afterwards.. so is it ok for GAA to rent a pitch that is used regularly for soccer?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 08, 2018, 08:17:14 PM
There is a council run 4g pitch in Belfast which has a soccer game on it at 2pm every Saturday and Gaelic games before it and afterwards.. so is it ok for GAA to rent a pitch that is used regularly for soccer?

It is appropriate for a council to provide a pitch for different sports. Arguably the GAA should only be promoting GAA.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on October 08, 2018, 09:17:42 PM

It is appropriate for a council to provide a pitch for different sports. Arguably the GAA should only be promoting GAA.

I didn't say it wasn't, my point is, if it's ok to play GAA games on a 'soccer' pitch then....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 08, 2018, 09:21:39 PM

I didn't say it wasn't, my point is, if it's ok to play GAA games on a 'soccer' pitch then....

It's irrelevant. The OP is saying he has GAA grounds and whether we like it or not rules are there. Best they could do is lease the ground to a community group who in turn put the astro in place and rent to whoever but even then that might not be allowed.

spuds

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 08, 2018, 09:21:39 PM

This may be a bit too complicated for you  ;D.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

five points

You might be better thanked doing nothing. This geezer's local club did nothing wrong and he's left them with High Court costs to pay.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-who-sued-over-injury-he-suffered-on-gaa-astroturf-pitch-withdraws-his-claim-37388882.html

rosnarun

are the Soccer club/ Authorities willing or able to put any money into this or are they more usual bunch of freeloader utd .s soccer club?
if you have 22 teams and are joined in the school  then you should be well entitled to Grants on your own steam  and allowing other clubs to use it would cause severe over usage problem and shorten the life of the facilities.
in tullamore there was a proposal to build new community pitches every sport was approached  only camogie GAA and LGFA  were willing to support them when Actual fundraising and actual money was raised.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Junior B

Just to update you all. The Gaa club had letters from Crowe park and
provincial level stating that we would be breaking rules if allowing soccer
on this Astro. We had similiar correspondence from Willis Inaurance and a long
list of examples of club who suffered claims etc. It was agreed by all to go ahead with the joint application between school and Gaa club to apply for a grant jointly. The Astro committee have
accepted that soccer can't be played but have agreed to donate the funds that they raised to erect
a wall ball an Astro which will be enjoyed by all school kids and Gaa teams. it is a huge relief to move this on and to eventually get their support.

thebackbar1