Wolves legend Dougan dies aged 69

Started by Square Ball, June 24, 2007, 01:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Former Northern Ireland and Wolves forward Derek Dougan has died, aged 69.
Nicknamed the Doog, he will be remembered as one the great characters of the game, as well as being a very effective centre-forward.

Dougan scored over 120 goals for Wolverhampton Wanderers and was in their victorious 1974 League Cup side.

He won 43 international caps and before joining Wolves played for Portsmouth, Blackburn Rovers, Aston Villa, Peterborough United and Leicester City.

Dougan was also an outspoken chairman of the Professional Footballers' Association.

Born in Belfast in January 1938, he played for Irish League club Distillery before joining Portsmouth.

Derek Dougan played in the 1974 League Cup final at Wembley

He remained at Fratton Park until March 1959 when he transferred to Blackburn Rovers for £15,000.

He spent two-and-a-half years at Ewood Park before signing for Aston Villa in July 1961. Two years later Dougan was off again, this time to Peterborough United.

In the summer of 1966, he switched to another club, Leicester City, before securing his place with Wolverhampton Wanderers in 1967.

In just over eight seasons at the Molineux, Derek made 320 first team appearances for Wolves netting over 120 goals.

He helped the club regain get back to the First Division status in 1967 and played when they beat Manchester City in the 1974 League Cup final.

Dougan made his Northern Ireland debut against Czechoslovakia during the 1958 World Cup in Sweden and his latest international appearance was in 1973.

During his time with Northern Ireland, he struck up a partnership with George Best.

In December 2005, Dougan joined other former Northern Ireland team-mates in carrying the coffin at Best's funeral.

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Rossfan

Quote from: Square Ball on June 24, 2007, 01:21:59 PM

Dougan made his Northern Ireland debut against Czechoslovakia during the 1958 World Cup in Sweden and his latest international appearance was in 1973.

[/quote

Was this as a result of him playing for an All Ireland Selection v Brazil????
I heard him and David Craig never got picked for Internationals again.
Mr Fearon will no doubt fill us in.

Rest in peace Doog.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

nifan

Some claim that, others say he wasnt performing for NI.
Others who played in that game did continue to play.

Anyway those debates can occur another day - I have met tha man, and despite not agreeing with some recent comments I for one am sad to hear of his passing.

stew

Quote from: nifan on June 24, 2007, 11:48:46 PM

Anyway those debates can occur another day - I have met tha man, and despite not agreeing with some recent comments I for one am sad to hear of his passing.

The man was progressive in this thinking and sought unity where others saw in his words betrayal, the guy was a character, something sadly missing in the game today.

The doog will be missed, although certain  north of  ireland fans will be happy! shame.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

nifan

Stew - i dont think anyone will be "happy", shame on you for that implication.

Ill not argue with you on this thread though.

Tonto

Quote from: stew on June 25, 2007, 12:01:33 AM

The man was progressive in this thinking and sought unity where others saw in his words betrayal, the guy was a character, something sadly missing in the game today.

The doog will be missed, although certain  north of  ireland fans will be happy! shame.

Using a condolance thread to take cheap digs?

I could say that I expected better, but that'd be a lie.

Shame.

Tonto

stew

Quote from: Tonto on June 25, 2007, 12:03:37 AM

Shame.

That is not a cheap dig, that is the honest truth, hey all I have to do is look at the murals in East Belfast to back up what I said.

Now answer this question tonto, in your opinion will some northern fans be happy that Dougan is dead?

SammyG

Quote from: stew on June 25, 2007, 12:20:19 AM
Quote from: Tonto on June 25, 2007, 12:03:37 AM

Shame.

That is not a cheap dig, that is the honest truth, hey all I have to do is look at the murals in East Belfast to back up what I said.

Now answer this question tonto, in your opinion will some northern fans be happy that Dougan is dead?
stew

That is a shameful comment, even by your usual standards.

T Fearon

Stew that comment was out of order. If you had said North of Ireland fans will be less sad at his passing than they would normally be when a former player passes on you would have been correct. What amazes me is that the late George Best was equally passionate in his advocacy of an All Ireland team yet he never attracted the hatred Dougan encountered.

Not many of you are aware of this but Derek Dougan was granted lifelong honorary membership of the FAI some years ago.

You are quite correct in that Dougan was never selected to play for the North after the Brazil Shamrock Rovers game in 1973. You see, unlike the other Northern players involved, Dougan was pivotaly involved in organising the game and clashed with the bigot Harry Cavan (then IFA president) in the run up to the game.Cavan was bigotted to the extent that he blocked the team being called "Ireland" for this game, instead they had to play under the name of Shamrock Rovers XI and wear hopped jersies.

Dougan was a top class man and a player I saw play on numerous occasions. I recall hin and George Best almost coming to blows after Bestie refused to leave the pitch after being sent off in a game against Scotland

nifan

Dougan hadnt played in the prvious 5 NI games and hadnt scored in as many more before that.
The man was 35 and had a good run of a NI career behind him.

I prefer to think of the 40+ caps he won and the 8 goals he scored.

stew

So it is ok to laugh and joke about bernard ,mannings death but not acceptable to mention that Dougans demise will be seen as a good thing by some northern supporters????

Nifan I am not looking for an argument, I just made an observation, the man after all was a controversal figure and given his disdain for the rampant sectarianism that went on during norn iron games he was cast as a villain by some members of the norths supporters, his call for an AI team didnt go down well either.

T Fearon

NIFan you talk a load of bollicks sometimes. Dougan's partnership with John Richards (I remember this well, unlike you I guess) was one of the most prolific at the time and took Wolves to the 1974 League Cup Final. Are you seriously suggesting that it was lack of form, or the striking qualities of Derek Spence and Sammy Morgan, that kept him out of N.Ireland squads since the summer of 1973

magickingdom

sorry to hear that always thought he was a bit of a character. may he rest in peace.

nifan

QuoteNIFan you talk a load of bollicks sometimes
:'(

Well being 28 now I obviously dont have much recollection of the time, but I think the fact that he wasnt picked in the previous 5 games shows that perhaps his influence in the NI team was on the wane.

Why do you speak of him being dropped in the summer of 73, when he was in fact dropped before this date.