Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Can anyone explain  about a DPF Filter  in a diesel car?

Olly

Good chance you need a new carburator
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

clarshack

Quote from: AustinPowers on August 07, 2023, 12:37:54 AM

All I know from relatives who have had diesel cars is that you need to be driving the motorway regular enough or you will get issues with the DPF filter.
Know someone who got a carbon clean done to sort this issue and the engine broke soon after.

thewobbler

Some clever scientists worked out the diesel emissions were causing all sorts of health issues for people, especially in built up areas.

Some other clever scientists formulated a system (DPF) whereby diesels no longer emit these fumes until the vehicle is travelling 30mph+. The idea being that if a car is travelling over 30mph then it can't be a built up area, so it's much safer to emit.

It's been the job of some other clever people to take this concept and turn it into reality. The initial attempts were absolutely abysmal. They've improved since then but are haunted by the fundamental flaw that if a diesel is used as the school run vehicle or an around the town vehicle, then it never gets the chance to emit its particles. So they just gather up and clog the system.

AustinPowers

Quote from: clarshack on August 07, 2023, 07:42:20 AM

All I know from relatives who have had diesel cars is that you need to be driving the motorway regular enough or you will get issues with the DPF filter.
Know someone who got a carbon clean done to sort this issue and the engine broke soon after.

Ah yes , I heard something about  regular motorway driving . I'm thinking of changing to  diesel , but this  filter is sort  of putting me off ,

Are these DPF  filters in all  diesel cars now?

Kidder81

Quote from: AustinPowers on August 07, 2023, 10:20:59 AM
Quote from: clarshack on August 07, 2023, 07:42:20 AM

Ah yes , I heard something about  regular motorway driving . I'm thinking of changing to  diesel , but this  filter is sort  of putting me off ,

Are these DPF  filters in all  diesel cars now?

From 2009 yes, you can get them removed though by a mechanic

God14

Had the same problem couple of years ago
Car went into limp mode
Mechanic said it was DPF filter. He drilled it out, got it remapped. Not a problem since, and its been through MOT a couple of times
Get shot of it

trueblue1234

Yeah get it mapped. Problem sorted.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

tbrick18

Quote from: God14 on August 07, 2023, 10:49:53 AM
Had the same problem couple of years ago
Car went into limp mode
Mechanic said it was DPF filter. He drilled it out, got it remapped. Not a problem since, and its been through MOT a couple of times
Get shot of it

This can't be done on every vehicle though.
We had the DPF issue as a nox sensor failed. Replaced the sensor, the next issue was DPF.
I believe for my car anyway there must be at least over 1/4 tank of diesel in the tank and the temperature has to be above a certain value for the regen to kick in. Like others have said, if you are always on short runs, the temperature will never get high enough so the regen won't happen and eventually the DPF gets clogged.
My car has some sort of sealed ECU which can't be re-mapped which means the DPF can't be drilled out.
So I'd be sure to ask any mechanic the question about remapping before allowing them to drill it out.
Replacing a DPF seems to be thousands.

AustinPowers

Is it ok to use   engine oil  that's a few years old for topping up?

trueblue1234

Anyone got a link for a good free car check that will show if a car has ever been written off, finance etc? I know a few will show MOT data and such but just wanted to try and get a bit more background.
I know there's paid for ones, but I was nearly sure I got most of the data free from some website. But was a few years ago so might all be paid for checks now?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Deerstalker

Is £200 steep for a service, spark plugs, oil change & filters ?

New mechanic and he's a bit dearer than the last one. Just wondering what the ball park is these days for a service.

screenexile

Quote from: Deerstalker on November 13, 2023, 10:03:42 PMIs £200 steep for a service, spark plugs, oil change & filters ?

New mechanic and he's a bit dearer than the last one. Just wondering what the ball park is these days for a service.

I would have said £200 is about right.

marty34

Quote from: screenexile on November 13, 2023, 10:32:57 PM
Quote from: Deerstalker on November 13, 2023, 10:03:42 PMIs £200 steep for a service, spark plugs, oil change & filters ?

I would have said £200 is about right.

Probably oil and filters etc. has gone up in price.

Seems everything has gone up by 25% now.

Labour probably the same.

5times5times

Any folks here personally, or know someone, who has owned a 2013/2014/2015 BMW 4 Series 420d xDrive / M Sport 2dr Auto.

Never had a BMW before, but there's certainly enough floating about to suggest they're not a bad car to own?