Jim McGuiness - 10 Years On

Started by GetOverTheBar, January 15, 2021, 01:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Gallagher hasn't got much more than his Uber defensive strategy going for him. People might think that of mcguinness but they'd be wrong.

(That being said I still think their failure against Kerry in 2014? was mainly tactical)

sid waddell

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 03, 2021, 09:59:37 PM
Gallagher hasn't got much more than his Uber defensive strategy going for him. People might think that of mcguinness but they'd be wrong.

(That being said I still think their failure against Kerry in 2014? was mainly tactical)
Their tactics hardly worked as they would have liked but it's hard to legislate for a goalkeeper tapping the ball straight to an unmarked full forward

As well as an opportunist goal in the first minute enabled by lax defending

Kerry were the first team to play Donegal at their own game

They got lucky in a terrible final

I personally think Kerry were the weakest of the four semi-finalists in 2014 but things fell beautifully for them

imtommygunn

Donegal didn't know what to do though. They were, at that time , a much better team. Yes there was a lucky goal but Kerry shouldn't even have been close enough that it mattered.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 03, 2021, 05:56:16 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 03, 2021, 03:12:54 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 03, 2021, 02:42:36 PM
Listened to his interview with Joe Molloy and it sounds like something really wasn't right out in Carolina and that he has some kind of NDA to make sure he keeps his money.

He'll be able to defend himself for that and put his best foot forward in whatever interview he goes for I would think LoI or Irish League or something like that could work out for him.

That is par for the course in any professional sport when you get the road.

I reckon McGuiness would get a LOI job no bother if he wanted it, but there is still a few more branches to grab on the professional circuit before he goes to LOI surely - that's one that will always be there for him now, someone, somewhere will always take a gamble.

Really? He's had one managerial job that lasted 15 games at a small club in a pretty low paid, semi-professional league that is, at very best, of a similar standard to the LOI.

And he made a complete balls of it.

Why would that experience land him a LOI job 'no bother'?

Just for additional reference, a larger team in the same division as Charlotte is managed by a Scottish fella called Stephen Glass. His previous job to that appointment was as an assistant coach in the LOI.

And that's before you even get into the suspicion and general enmity felt by many LOI types towards bogballers.

Take into account the publicity factor, football is full of these oddball appointments.

I can see a LOI club take a gamble on McGuiness, if that's what he's up for why not? Really - what is there to lose? At the minute there is no crowds anyway so defensive football isn't a problem. Alternatively, the hype that would surround him taking over a soccer team in Ireland would possibly sway a chairman of a club in not exactly great financial shape when crowds are allowed back in.

It would be a gamble obviously, but it wouldn't be the oddest thing to ever happen in football either.

seafoid

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 04, 2021, 10:24:06 AM
Listened to his interview with Joe Molloy and it sounds like something really wasn't right out in Carolina and that he has some kind of NDA to make sure he keeps his money.

He'll be able to defend himself for that and put his best foot forward in whatever interview he goes for I would think LoI or Irish League or something like that could work out for him.

I reckon McGuiness would get a LOI job no bother if he wanted it, but there is still a few more branches to grab on the professional circuit before he goes to LOI surely - that's one that will always be there for him now, someone, somewhere will always take a gamble.

Really? He's had one managerial job that lasted 15 games at a small club in a pretty low paid, semi-professional league that is, at very best, of a similar standard to the LOI.

Just for additional reference, a larger team in the same division as Charlotte is managed by a Scottish fella called Stephen Glass. His previous job to that appointment was as an assistant coach in the LOI.

And that's before you even get into the suspicion and general enmity felt by many LOI types towards bogballers.

Take into account the publicity factor, football is full of these oddball appointments.

I can see a LOI club take a gamble on McGuiness, if that's what he's up for why not? Really - what is there to lose? At the minute there is no crowds anyway so defensive football isn't a problem. Alternatively, the hype that would surround him taking over a soccer team in Ireland would possibly sway a chairman of a club in not exactly great financial shape when crowds are allowed back in.

It would be a gamble obviously, but it wouldn't be the oddest thing to ever happen in football either.
He would be nuts to go for the LoI when there are loads of other leagues rated higher by UEFA with none of the  hassle

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2021
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GetOverTheBar

Of course, I see him going to league of Ireland to eek out a handy few quid. There is more structure to it than GAA and probably less headache.

Ed Ricketts

You are grossly overestimating McGuinness's profile in Irish soccer. He's a nobody to the average fan. A bogball manager that won something a decade ago in a sport they don't care about. 
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

screenexile

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 04, 2021, 03:21:33 PM

You are grossly overestimating McGuinness's profile in Irish soccer. He's a nobody to the average fan. A bogball manager that won something a decade ago in a sport they don't care about.

All twenty of them outside of Dublin!

He'd be well enough known around the Northwest should something come up in Derry/Finn Harps or Sligo. He wouldn't get any of the bigger clubs.

seafoid

According to Off the ball Jimmy is working as a consultant one day a week for Down.
Noted for the predictions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ai7_MdbcZA&t=3720s
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armagh18

redzone

Is McGuiness going to try something completely different. A full court press   with Upto 12 players pushing up at times. Be get to see something new

Derryman forever

Quote from: redzone on December 22, 2023, 10:14:53 PMIs McGuiness going to try something completely different. A full court press   with Upto 12 players pushing up at times. Be get to see something new

Is this new?

redzone

Quote from: Derryman forever on December 22, 2023, 10:34:22 PM
Quote from: redzone on December 22, 2023, 10:14:53 PMIs McGuiness going to try something completely different. A full court press   with Upto 12 players pushing up at times. Be get to see something new

Is this new?
It will be if the way they are supposedly intending to use it

Derryman forever

Quote from: redzone on December 22, 2023, 11:04:33 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on December 22, 2023, 10:34:22 PM

Is this new?
It will be if the way they are supposedly intending to use it

Cant really see how it will be innovative. But we will see.

the goal was on

Mc Guinness was with down most of last year. Didn't see nothing new or innovative there!