The Cruiser dies

Started by Owenmoresider, December 18, 2008, 10:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Won't pass further comment, don't speak ill, etc.:

Former Minister O'Brien dies aged 91
Thursday, 18 December 2008 22:11

The death has taken place of the former Cabinet minister and journalist Conor Cruise O'Brien.

Mr O'Brien, who was 91, served as Minister for Posts and Telegraph during the Fine Gael/Labour coalition in the 1970s.

Mr O'Brien was also a civil servant, a UN official, a writer, an academic and a newspaper editor.
Advertisement

He studied History and Literature in Trinity College and was the author of books, including States of Ireland, which examined the relationship between Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland.

His plays include Murderous Angels and King Herald Explains.

He joined the civil service at 25, before later going to external affairs and then becoming a delegate to the UN Assembly.

In 1969, he was elected to the Dáil as a member of the Labour Party and he became the party's spokesman on Northern Ireland.

He became Minister for Posts and Telegraphs in 1973 but lost his seat in 1977.

Labour Leader Eamon Gilmore said he was greatly saddened by Mr O'Brien's death.

Taoiseach Brian Cowen has expressed his condolences to the family of Mr O'Brien, who he said was a leading figure in Irish life in many spheres since the 1960s.

'(He) was blessed with a strong intellect and he was a man of strong convictions. I never doubted his sincerity or his commitment to a better and more peaceful Ireland,' Mr Cowen added.

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Shamrock Shore

stephenite

Mightn't always have agreed with him - but always admired his courage in expressing an opinion that was almost always universally controversial.

GUBU

Hardy

Agreed Stephenite. For all his faults, he definitely had the  courage of his convictions, as the cliché has it. A man who was a public atheist in 1950s Ireland had some gonads. Hitler didn't get as bad a press as he did.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on December 19, 2008, 12:58:48 AM
Hitler didn't get as bad a press as he did.

Would Hitler have been somewhat proud of the Cruiser's draconian reinforcement of Section 31 of the Broadcasting Act in 1977?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

carribbear

Donagh

Served his country and stood up for his beliefs. As much as could be asked of any man.

J70

Quote from: stephenite on December 19, 2008, 12:06:19 AM
Mightn't always have agreed with him - but always admired his courage in expressing an opinion that was almost always universally controversial.

GUBU

I remember being at an L&H thing in UCD in the mid-90s where he turned up to support Robert McCartney who was down to take part in a debate (along with David Ervine, Martin Mansergh, Paul Murphy, Gay Mitchell, Brid Rodgers and a few others I can't remember specifically). He was very, very feeble even then, but he gave solid support to McCartney who was getting quite heated at times as the "shames" rang down upon him! Didn't agree with some of his views (he definitely lost his way in reference to McCartney and Paisley), but I admired his courage.

Declan

Wouldn't have had a lot of time for his views but would have admired his conviction.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Declan on December 19, 2008, 07:23:44 AM
Wouldn't have had a lot of time for his views but would have admired his conviction.
Wont be shedding any tears

Canalman

Odious man. A so called Constitutional politician who revelled in the persecution/torture of his political enemies in the Nationalist/Irish Language/Gaeltacht activists etc.
A poster boy imo for the nasty elements in this country. Won't shed any tears. The Indo will wet themselves in their plaudits .......CCOB was another sacred cow who got an easy ride from the "official Ireland" media.

mylestheslasher

Can't say I have ever agreed with anything his poisoned pen wrote in that rag. However, my condolences to his family & friends.

Orior

I thought it embarrasing when he joined the UK Unionists, and then they slag off "de orish" at their political conferences
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians