Pauric Duffy

Started by The Trap, February 21, 2016, 09:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Trap

Reading the article on Pauric Duffy/Congress next weekend in Saturday's indo I was dismayed that the man who is supposed to save club football could only talk about looking after the elite underage player.........since going into office he seems to have realised that the elite players bring in the money and the next generation of those must be looked after. The other 90% odd can go to hell as long as the cream are protected. Can someone at Congress stand up for club footballers or are all the delegates only worried about the elite in their counties as well?

Syferus

Quote from: The Trap on February 21, 2016, 09:37:31 PM
Reading the article on Pauric Duffy/Congress next weekend in Saturday's indo I was dismayed that the man who is supposed to save club football could only talk about looking after the elite underage player.........since going into office he seems to have realised that the elite players bring in the money and the next generation of those must be looked after. The other 90% odd can go to hell as long as the cream are protected. Can someone at Congress stand up for club footballers or are all the delegates only worried about the elite in their counties as well?

Elite young players are by far the ones being fĂșcked over by the system more than anyone else. A club player having to sit on his arse in the summer behind a bad club schedule pales in comparison to the suffering alot of young county level players go through in the meat grinder of half a dozen or more 'pay-masters' wanting their piece around the same time of the year.

Duffy is 100% correct here.

The Trap

So come up with rules that protect the elite but shit on the rest??????!!

Syferus

Quote from: The Trap on February 21, 2016, 09:56:47 PM
So come up with rules that protect the elite but shit on the rest??????!!

You protect the players in harm's way and then sort the rest out around that. The health of the players is paramount to most anything else.

Can't believe so many people have rose-tinted glasses on when it comes to clubs. They have just as little right to ride a player into the ground as a county team or college team has.

The Trap

What the feck are you on? The club produces players, protects players, puts an arm around them when they are fecked over. The club ALWAYS has its players best interests at heart.

Syferus

Quote from: The Trap on February 21, 2016, 10:06:13 PM
What the feck are you on? The club produces players, protects players, puts an arm around them when they are fecked over. The club ALWAYS has its players best interests at heart.

Their parents 'produce' players. Most of the elite players spend as much time training with their county teams as club from U16 up. The idea clubs are to thank wholly for any player's development is the nonsense that's peddled when things like club v county comes up. It's all part of the same wheel and until some realise that it will be impossible to have a constructive conversation about it.

I've seen gross abuses of IC senior players in my own county by their clubs even in the last six months. Players who needed major surgery but who clubs allowed to play on for the length of their championship jaunts just so they had a better chance of winning a tin cup. Like feck that's in the player's best interests.

manfromdelmonte

Very few clubs make their players play two games in two days like the Sigerson just did

In fact clubs don't ever 'make' their players play.
Its the county boards who fix games. And if proper periods are not left for county players to rest and recover, then it is the CB's fault, not the club.

armaghniac

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 21, 2016, 11:36:00 PM
Very few clubs make their players play two games in two days like the Sigerson just did

Its the county boards who fix games. And if proper periods are not left for county players to rest and recover, then it is the CB's fault, not the club.

Surely the problem arises that the club wants the county player in play while objecting the the gap caused for their other players if there is a long gap for that county player to rest and recover?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 21, 2016, 11:36:00 PM

If clubs 'always have players' best interests' at heart they wouldn't play them even in the face of a scheduling fĂșck-up. What he said is nonsense, plain and simple.

I also have seen many, many situations where a player plays IC football the Sunday and then with the club the Monday. The idea that they don't run back-to-back games is wrong also.

seafoid

Duffy is another school teacher with no vision
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Seany

Some nonsense here.  Paraic Duffy has been a brilliant DG for the GAA.  Just watch how difficult it will be to get these proposals through on Saturday.  He knows the limits of what he can achieve.
In any case, the proposals are designed for more than the elite young player.  if his proposals get through it will affect positively every club player.

The Trap

Syferus and Seany are clearly county first....club bottom of the pile type of GAA people! If Duffy is so good for the clubs then why is the following happening in 2016:

- players good enough to play for their county minor team cannot play for their club until they are out of the championship. They can train 3 time a week at elite level, half of them sit on the bench all year, but cannot play club football. They could play for their club all through GAA history until this year!
      - Lads at 17 years of age that all throughout GAA history have been old enough to play for their club are now deemed not old enough to play for their club. This is to protect the elite 17 year olds who are now training 3 times a week with development squads. What about a 17 year old who is not on a county minor or development squad and whose last game of club minor football is in May. What does he do until April 2017?

The problems Duffy could address are why county developments teams, county minor teams, county senior teams, Sigerson Cup teams, Schools teams etc all have to train so much and take up so much of a players time.

[/li]

Rossfan

Why do club minor games stop in May?
What can Duffy do about that?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Trap

Minor games are rushed between February and May to clear the way for the county minor championship.........here are the last two posts on the Derry and Tyrone boards:

DERRY

So what if glen win a senior championship in the next few years, they have put in the work lately, but by the time they win one club football be at a low ebb because off the way in which it is being treated at the moment!!!
I'm guessing that club football has 9/10 years off creditably left in it before the life is sucked out off it!!
It's heading for county or bust if we like it or not, has been for a long time

TYRONE
Anybody have any clue when we can expect the fixtures to be announced and when we can expect to hear the championship draw?

Curious also of manager updates, there was a lot of blank spaces in the last manager post.  Surely all clubs now have a manager appointed for the coming season????

this is the middle of the NFL 'county' season - do you think our county board are concerned about our clubs - not a chance...

I see plenty of young lads asked to play 2 games in 24 hours plus extra time in very difficult winter conditions in order to start our minor league which will finish on 3rd April  ??? ??? - and then they talk about burnout !!

Listen lads this is my opinion. We are following the path of soccer and rugby, chasing money, tv deals, looking after elite players to the detriment of everything else. I don't like it but I don't think it is going to change. We are an amateur association with wonderful ideals that have served the country so well but we are losing the run of ourselves.

Hound

Quote from: The Trap on February 22, 2016, 12:24:45 PM
- Lads at 17 years of age that all throughout GAA history have been old enough to play for their club are now deemed not old enough to play for their club. This is to protect the elite 17 year olds who are now training 3 times a week with development squads. What about a 17 year old who is not on a county minor or development squad and whose last game of club minor football is in May. What does he do until April 2017?

But if minors go to U17, and it means minors can't play adult football, it will allow for proper minor leagues and championships in every county, that won't end in May.

I think its a no brainer. And I think those saying it will leave 17 year olds with no football or that it will have a massive impact on the junior cert are being disingenuous.