Getting TV3 or RTE on freeview in North?

Started by under the bar, June 25, 2014, 06:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

Can you get TV3 and RTE in the black North on  standard freeview box or do I need to buy a saorview one??

armaghniac

You need a Freeview HD box/set.
If you have a signal from the 26 counties this will get you TV3 etc, if not you can get RTE/TG4, but not TV3 from many NI transmitters.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Gaffer

Yes. Be sure to buy a tv which is FREEVIEW HD and not just FREEVIEW.

You only get RTE on freeview HD.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

armaghniac

A Freeview set is probably old stock by now anyway. Germany announced recently that they were phasing out their 2000 era Freeview standard service in favour of one with more compression to pack in more channels.

Gaffer

Was in currys in craigavon recently and most of their small TVs were freeview only.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

armaghniac

Quote from: Gaffer on June 25, 2014, 10:34:03 PM
Was in currys in craigavon recently and most of their small TVs were freeview only.

On a small set the HD aspect of things is not so important. Some of these are probably also Saorview approved, but some might not be. As I understand it such a set can decode the HD Saorview stuff, even if it does not display it in HD. 

thewobbler

I bought a Freeview HD set top box for about £60 from Tesco.

Problem solved. Though I do live in Newry which probably helps.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

I've a couple of Panasonic Viera TVs with built in Saorview, however I'm just getting a test card on RTE on 1 of them at the moment.  Anyone any ideas what might be wrong?

RealSpiritof98

Ive cancelled the SKY atm, wats my best option for getting RTE, living room TV flatscreen but about 6/7 years old, kitchen TV was a b'day pressie a year and a half ago, flat screen also

armaghniac

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on June 25, 2014, 11:58:04 PM
I've a couple of Panasonic Viera TVs with built in Saorview, however I'm just getting a test card on RTE on 1 of them at the moment.  Anyone any ideas what might be wrong?

Retune? RTÉ 1 and a couple of others moved channel a few months ago when it became HD

thewobbler

Quote from: armaghniac on June 26, 2014, 12:45:53 AM
Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on June 25, 2014, 11:58:04 PM

Retune? RTÉ 1 and a couple of others moved channel a few months ago when it became HD

Yep, retune.

Norf Tyrone

If I buy a TV in the south (Euro rate) will it be able to pick up all the Freeview stations in the North?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

armaghniac

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 03, 2015, 01:25:16 PM
If I buy a TV in the south (Euro rate) will it be able to pick up all the Freeview stations in the North?

Yes, the SD channels should be no problem, only the channel numbering. But if you want the FreeviewHD channels make sure to get one that also receives DVB-T2.
Retailers in border regions should know all this anyway.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: armaghniac on February 03, 2015, 01:31:28 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 03, 2015, 01:25:16 PM

Yes, the SD channels should be no problem, only the channel numbering. But if you want the FreeviewHD channels make sure to get one that also receives DVB-T2.
Retailers in border regions should know all this anyway.

Good man. Might take a scoot down to Letterkenny tomorrow.

Thanks
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

reddgnhand

Can anyone help me? I used to get Rte & tg4 on freeview. I recently done a rescan and the channels have disappeared. Don't know why this has happened.