Roscommon v Clare - AIQ R4A [23/07/16]

Started by Syferus, July 18, 2016, 08:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 23, 2016, 11:21:12 PM
Clare and Tipp showing the qualifiers still have a lot of value and derry and longford too. Can't see an argument to scrap them now.

Clare, Tipp and Longford have shown that the qualifiers are an improvement on what was there before, i.e. a straight knockout. That does not mean that the qualifiers are the best solution. There are plenty more Clares and Tipps going out in the Championship each year after their obligatory two defeats. Someone has already pointed out where Kerry are likely to end up after two games against Clare and a game against Tipp. The system is inherently unfair.

The elephant in the room remains the Provincial Championships and the amazing contortions that are being carried out by the fixtures people over the years e.g. the 'A' and 'B' sides of the draw, serves only to underline the unfairness that exists.

NetNitrate

Quote from: yellowcard on July 23, 2016, 09:14:13 PM
First off, brilliant result for Clare and honestly never seen that coming. Roscommon promised much early in the season but like a bad postman, yet again they failed to deliver.

As for a system that allows Kerry get to the last 4 without playing one of the 16 best teams in the country based on League position, well if that isn't a wake up call to the authorities I don't know what is. Every year they can peak for August knowing they will be there for AI qf weekend. A flawed system for years and long past the time for a rethink.

The problem is you and the media are basing top sixteen on league when it should be championship. Kerry have beaten two top 8 teams en route to qtr final, more than any other provincial finalist.

sligoman2

Well done to Clare and hard luck to Roscommon. Very few teams have been able to digest a provincial final defeat and win a qualifier match 6 days later.  Clare are a well drilled extremely fit outfit which we also found out last week.  Very inconsistent reffing again for this game in my opinion.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Hound

Without a doubt the worst ref on the circuit. Shame that the players have to put up with such incompetence in such an important game. I don't believe he favoured one team over the other, but be definitely impacted on the score given he was so bad

thebackbar1

anyone know what the attendance was ?

Rossfan

Left it till now to post to avoid any intemperate remarks.
We were bloody awful and couldn't handle a fit, well drilled well motivated team.
McStay and Fergal have a lot of thinking to do. We were stuck to the ground yesterday and seemed to have no grasp if basics, positioning, showing for the ball etc. Most lads looked like they'd had enough of it all.
Where are we going to find backs ?
Most of our decent underage teams this decade had poor defences.
Haven't seen any TV so can't  comment on Mullooly/Collins.
Felt the Clare 9 sending off was fair enough as it happened right beside me and while maybe not intentional was some wallop.
Where do we go from here? Hard to know as I wonder how many have the stomach for what's needed to stay around the top.
As for getting rid of the Provincials - 22 Qualifier games 70,000 spectators max (26k at the Mayowestros games) 31 Provincial games perhaps 300k.

Only 5,301 in Salthill
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kurtz

Quote from: Rossfan on July 24, 2016, 11:25:58 AM
We were bloody awful and couldn't handle a fit, well drilled well motivated team.
McStay and Fergal have a lot of thinking to do. We were stuck to the ground yesterday and seemed to have no grasp if basics, positioning, showing for the ball etc. Most lads looked like they'd had enough of it all.
Felt the Clare 9 sending off was fair enough as it happened right beside me and while maybe not intentional was some wallop.
Where do we go from here? Hard to know as I wonder how many have the stomach for what's needed to stay around the top.
As for getting rid of the Provincials - 22 Qualifier games 70,000 spectators max (26k at the Mayowestros games) 31 Provincial games perhaps 300k.

Only 5,301 in Salthill

Mullooly didnt even touch the guy but should have got black card for obstruction.  Yer man went down like an Argentina soccer player.
Didnt matter anyway, the game was over by half time and Brolly was right they are clueless.
They simply cant read a game they dont know whats going on around them and react too late.

Syferus

Only 5,301 in Salthill

Were you anywhere near that fùcking Clare balluba that spent the entire match shouting at the linesman and referee. He thought a Clare defender flinging himself into the back of Davy Murray wasn't a foul and when the Clare midfielder rightly got red for his clothesline all he could do was piss and moan about their 14 going down like a sack of spuds in a very obvious attempt to get Mul sent off or carded. I think he managed to piss off every single person around him.

Podge Collins let himself down big time. Hopefully Galway can give him some medicine today but I doubt it.

Rossfan

Hughes eventually sent that Clare sideline bolx outside the fence.
At one stage I thought he was some sort of referees advisor >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on July 24, 2016, 12:05:03 PM

Only 5,301 in Salthill

Were you anywhere near that fùcking Clare balluba that spent the entire match shouting at the linesman and referee. He thought a Clare defender flinging himself into the back of Davy Murray wasn't a foul and when the Clare midfielder rightly got red for his clothesline all he could do was piss and moan about their 14 going down like a sack of spuds in a very obvious attempt to get Mul sent off or carded. I think he managed to piss off every single person around him.

Podge Collins let himself down big time. Hopefully Galway can give him some medicine today but I doubt it.

I noted that you have negated to mention the 3 clothesline tackles from Roscommon players which were the exact same as the Clare lad got sent off for but received less minor punishments and also the fact your no. 9 should have gone in the first half and full back should have been dismissed a lot earlier as he had been acting the maggot all game.

Of course we know you turn a blind eye to your own team's indiscretions and leave the hand wringing to everyone else.

This must be a tough month for you.

From the Bunker

The best thing the Rossies (Players and management) can do now is take a break from all things football for two months. Clear the head! Serious thought has to be put into what effort is put into various competitions. Roscommon has won the FBD and done well in the League the last two seasons. FBD has to be relegated greatly importance wise. The last two seasons we have played the Rossies in the FBD, I found they were hitting hard and taking it to serious. I can totally understand Ros taking the League serious the last two seasons. Next year they are going to have to take a chance on not being as sharp for the league. Two to three wins can keep you in Division One. The Championship is the be all and end all of the season. In 2010 Mayo won the FBD, won 6 out of 7 league games and got to the league final. We were flying and looking forward to the Championship. We lost to Sligo in the Connacht Quarter final and Longford in round one of the Qualifiers. We put to much effort into earlier competitions and were flat coming into the Championship.

The reality is the Championship is where it is at. Galway stumbled through Division Two this year. The Rossies held their own in Division One. All the talk is of Galway. No body cares that they are a mid-table 2nd Division side! They put Mayo on their Arse, Won a Connacht, are in the Quaters and could make a semi final at least. Roscommons early form is all but forgotten (or even ridiculed in true GAA fashion).

BennyHarp

I don't know too much about the thinking of Rossie people or the team but as an outside looking in they appear to blame everything but themselves. Last years U21 defeat was blamed on big bad Tyrone, nothing to do with how Roscommon players couldn't handle the heat when pressure was applied. A few weeks ago the bloody rain and wind was blamed, yesterday McStay is blaming a 6 day turnaround, even though Clare had the same turnaround. Until they look at their own failings they will never progress. After a huge amount of moaning about big bad Meath in 1996, Tyrone eventually used the experience as a positive. Roscommon have plenty of good players, hopefully they can learn from their mistakes and eventually become a big force, the championship would be better for it.
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 24, 2016, 12:21:08 PM
The best thing the Rossies (Players and management) can do now is take a break from all things football for two months. Clear the head! Serious thought has to be put into what effort is put into various competitions. Roscommon has won the FBD and done well in the League the last two seasons. FBD has to be relegated greatly importance wise. The last two seasons we have played the Rossies in the FBD, I found they were hitting hard and taking it to serious. I can totally understand Ros taking the League serious the last two seasons. Next year they are going to have to take a chance on not being as sharp for the league. Two to three wins can keep you in Division One. The Championship is the be all and end all of the season. In 2010 Mayo won the FBD, won 6 out of 7 league games and got to the league final. We were flying and looking forward to the Championship. We lost to Sligo in the Connacht Quarter final and Longford in round one of the Qualifiers. We put to much effort into earlier competitions and were flat coming into the Championship.

The reality is the Championship is where it is at. Galway stumbled through Division Two this year. The Rossies held their own in Division One. All the talk is of Galway. No body cares that they are a mid-table 2nd Division side! They put Mayo on their Arse, Won a Connacht, are in the Quaters and could make a semi final at least. Roscommons early form is all but forgotten (or even ridiculed in true GAA fashion).

Bunker, we were naming quintessentially FBD teams against ye in January, to put it in perspective in this year's FBD League final we played 6 of the eventual starters for the Connacht final whereas Galway lined out with something like 13 of their starters. The idea the FBD even registers is nonsense to be frank - we've won a single one of them since 1999, how many do Mayo and Galway have in that period? The only reason the Mayo game has any importance is because it's usually the last warm-up game before the league starts barring a final appearance, which is more of a hassle than a help given it will always be week before Round 1. Players are playing to either stay on the panel for the league or make the starting line-up for the league. There's plenty of motivation for every team in the country in that situation.

The NFL you might have more of a case to be made but we've basically been in a tailspin since we beat a Donegal team that was in fine form coming into that game in March. People can say, oh you peaked too early, but really March was still very early in the year so it's hardly as simple as that. We had plenty of time between the Donegal game and our next serious game - Galway, with all due respect to Sligo - on July 10th to find energy or form but we found neither. That needs to be looked at and the answer will not be as simple as pretending we're doing absolutely no work in the winter ala Kerry.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 24, 2016, 12:33:24 PM
I don't know too much about the thinking of Rossie people or the team but as an outside looking in they appear to blame everything but themselves. Last years U21 defeat was blamed on big bad Tyrone, nothing to do with how Roscommon players couldn't handle the heat when pressure was applied. A few weeks ago the bloody rain and wind was blamed, yesterday McStay is blaming a 6 day turnaround, even though Clare had the same turnaround. Until they look at their own failings they will never progress. After a huge amount of moaning about big bad Meath in 1996, Tyrone eventually used the experience as a positive. Roscommon have plenty of good players, hopefully they can learn from their mistakes and eventually become a big force, the championship would be better for it.

I agree, the bottom line is they are pretty average.

Some of their fans seem to have a bizarre take on where their team are at. They don't look to have any standout player in their team, they don't seem to have any player who has done it at Championship level, they haven't beaten Mayo or Galway in 15 years in Championship, they haven't really beaten anyone of note in 15 years of Championship football. If Roscommon are to progress I think there needs to be an acceptance that they are pretty ordinary and in order to compete with the best they will have to sacrifice their games and fight and battle for every ball. I think as has been shown in the past few years with them, when the heat is turned up they don't want to know about the battle.