Roscommon v Clare - AIQ R4A [23/07/16]

Started by Syferus, July 18, 2016, 08:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerryforsam16

From the Bunker

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 23, 2016, 08:19:53 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 23, 2016, 07:56:17 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 23, 2016, 07:12:27 PM
I think Dublin are fantastic, Tyrone are improving quickly and Kerry will still beat most teams in the country. Mayo are improving but bar DOC and Boyle they don't seem to have too many lads pulling up trees which they'll need to change if they are to get over the best. It will probably be a Galway Kerry semi final and Galway may just find out how far away they are from the top teams then.

By the way, I think Ros and Galway are improving teams but the evidence so far indicates that Galway may have caught Mayo and that they are still a division 2 team. Good to see them back but Roscommon's performance today puts a real asterix beside their Connacht final performance.

Who are the 8 best teams in the Country then?

Dublin
Tyrone
Kerry
Mayo
Donegal
Monaghan
Galway
Cork

Is that the order you rate the teams as well?

ONeill

Roscommon very poor in front of the posts. Their last 3 game were 1-9, 0-14 and 1-10 and the 0-14 was when the game was over. 
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AZOffaly

Would be remiss not to congratulate Clare, they have had a really stellar year so far. It's great to see, and while it would have been very tough on Tipp to see Clare zoom in and take their thunder by qualifying for a 1/4 final after all the 'progress' Tipp have made, it was still a very well earned achievement. Lads like Croí flagged this up early in the year, and I wasn't convinced, but I have to say I was very impressed today, even if Roscommon looked lethargic and poor. Clare should have won that by 10 points.

If I remember correctly, Zulu is from those parts and I'm sure he got a buzz out of that, so well done Clare.

On a personal note, we obviously regularly come across Clare in development, and they are every bit as passionate as anyone else, so it is great to see them getting a fantastic boost as well.

seafoid

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 23, 2016, 07:29:31 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 23, 2016, 07:20:53 PM
Ah right, I thought it was winners of Kerry and Galway QF's against each other. So if Mayo and Galway win they'll meet each other in the SF?

Yep, and a rather big IF!  ;)
Mayo know how to.put smacht on throne

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: seafoid on July 23, 2016, 08:36:44 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 23, 2016, 07:29:31 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 23, 2016, 07:20:53 PM
Ah right, I thought it was winners of Kerry and Galway QF's against each other. So if Mayo and Galway win they'll meet each other in the SF?

Yep, and a rather big IF!  ;)
Mayo know how to.put smacht on throne

Stick your house on them so. I'll take my counsel from an oul Castlebar lad, in the aftermath of our trouncing of Mayo in the League last year, who reckoned they'd missed the Sam bus (D O'C & Boyle, etc., notwithstanding).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 23, 2016, 08:23:27 PM
I think Dublin are fantastic, Tyrone are improving quickly and Kerry will still beat most teams in the country. Mayo are improving but bar DOC and Boyle they don't seem to have too many lads pulling up trees which they'll need to change if they are to get over the best. It will probably be a Galway Kerry semi final and Galway may just find out how far away they are from the top teams then.

By the way, I think Ros and Galway are improving teams but the evidence so far indicates that Galway may have caught Mayo and that they are still a division 2 team. Good to see them back but Roscommon's performance today puts a real asterix beside their Connacht final performance.

Dublin
Tyrone
Kerry
Mayo
Donegal
Monaghan
Galway
Cork

Yes.

snoopdog

That big yellow bus will be reversing into a shed about now for the winter months.

Kurtz

Quote from: snoopdog on July 23, 2016, 09:05:04 PM
That big yellow bus will be reversing into a shed about now for the winter months.

It wont be the only one

Plenty to throw under the Blue Bus between now and Sept

yellowcard

First off, brilliant result for Clare and honestly never seen that coming. Roscommon promised much early in the season but like a bad postman, yet again they failed to deliver.

As for a system that allows Kerry get to the last 4 without playing one of the 16 best teams in the country based on League position, well if that isn't a wake up call to the authorities I don't know what is. Every year they can peak for August knowing they will be there for AI qf weekend. A flawed system for years and long past the time for a rethink.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 23, 2016, 09:02:51 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 23, 2016, 08:23:27 PM

Dublin
Tyrone
Kerry
Mayo
Donegal
Monaghan
Galway
Cork

Yes.

Glad to see you are underestimating the challenge of Tyrone!  :P

magpie seanie

Quote from: Crete Boom on July 23, 2016, 05:11:37 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 23, 2016, 05:03:19 PM
Looking forward to the post match bullshit excuses and ungracious whining. McStay definitely needs a few more years, it's great having him off the Sunday Game.

Yeah he is no Eamonn O'Hara that's for sure!! Although O'Hara did a great management job with Ballaghadreen in fairness to him. ::)

Not sure what you're trying to say but obviously as a player he wouldn't have been in Eamonn's league. O'Hara's only management job has been in club management from Ballaghadereen which was acknowledged to be a difficult job. I think the reports were reasonably ok as to how he did. Jury is out on whether he'll be a good manager or not, time will tell.

Most importantly I've never heard Eamonn be ungracious or entertain making excuses. It wouldn't be his style to be fair.

oliverkelly

Hugh congrats to Clre football team a massive achievement and in truth they should have won by more. Sat in middle of Clare supporters and nicest fans I have met in a long time.
On the few issues raised here. Some lad on about our number 3 I don't no what you are on about as I have not seen it from television all I know is he should never have been sent off got a yellow because Clare water boy shouldered him and second was very harsh.
Apart from that clare midfielder should never ever been sent off and any consistency would have seen us get least 3 reds for us for similar tackles. Compton should have been sent off in first half too for us. Ref was poor but would have been a lot more annoyed if I was a Clare supporter.
We have been a shambles since our first real test this year which was Mayo in league since then we have go backwards and underperformed. This needs to be addressed by imo it's down to team selection in majority of the cases. Too much faith given to lads not up to standard and best players not given proper chances. Bad man management skills too for so many involved. Joint managements don't work imo and someone has to have final say because no way in hell both can be thinking same way.
Anyway best of luck to Clare in next round and also to the two Connacht teams left in competition. Would love see one come west.

From the Bunker

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 23, 2016, 10:54:36 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on July 23, 2016, 05:11:37 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 23, 2016, 05:03:19 PM
Looking forward to the post match bullshit excuses and ungracious whining. McStay definitely needs a few more years, it's great having him off the Sunday Game.

Yeah he is no Eamonn O'Hara that's for sure!! Although O'Hara did a great management job with Ballaghadreen in fairness to him. ::)

Not sure what you're trying to say but obviously as a player he wouldn't have been in Eamonn's league. O'Hara's only management job has been in club management from Ballaghadereen which was acknowledged to be a difficult job. I think the reports were reasonably ok as to how he did. Jury is out on whether he'll be a good manager or not, time will tell.

Most importantly I've never heard Eamonn be ungracious or entertain making excuses. It wouldn't be his style to be fair.

One thing McStay is - Is media savvy! In all the years he has done the Sunday Game, I can't recall him having a personal issue with any player, Manager, county! Nothing was personal. No attacks! Nothing that would make the Monday papers.

As a co-commentator, Carr and Carney show how decent he was. And in analysing games for the sunday game he at least tried to throw you a few stats and observations.

From my own point of view. Found him to be a bit of a watered down fan of Mayo football. His home in Roscommon and his work in KIldare has seen him with divided loyalties. That is more a observation than a critisism.

You have to admire that he took a intercounty managerial job. It's one thing Talking the talk. It's another Walking it.

This is not a McStay is great rant.  Because he's not. But he's not bad either!

imtommygunn

I always thought he came across as a decent enough spud.

Talks a bit of drivel no doubt but better than most on sunday game these days.

Clare and Tipp showing the qualifiers still have a lot of value and derry and longford too. Can't see an argument to scrap them now.