Roscommon v Clare - AIQ R4A [23/07/16]

Started by Syferus, July 18, 2016, 08:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrhardyannual

Best of luck to the Rossies. If it were other than a neighbour involved, I would love to see Clare progress.

Roscommon aren't a bad side  .. but they were seriously over-rated after early league form. They have natural forwards, a weak midfield and a backline that struggles without Carty. They have a good management team. The difficulty they have is that they are trying to implement a new "system" during championship whereas the more successful teams have bedded this in over a one/two year period in the league. In Roscommon's case the collection of the kick-out at their own 20m line and its transfer through hands up the field means that forward who were used to getting quick ball in space are now bottled up. This has also led to management indecision regarding the make-up of the forward contingent.

I expect them to come through today and improve further in the quarters even though they will exit at that stage. A winter/spring of work combined with more realistic expectations will allow management to tweak the system. 2017 league will define them.

Il Bomber Destro

Two very evenly matched sides. Clare coming off the momentum of a few wins and having more proven quality should see them prevail.

larryin89

Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2016, 11:32:44 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 23, 2016, 11:29:20 AM
Roscommon only make one change.
Lennon comes in for Purcell.

I Kilbride and D Murtagh are on the subs bench.

Baffling

Wait for the first whistle before decrying the starting line-up.

Youre a pure chancer man. When D Murtagh didnt make match day panel, you didnt bat an eyelid now you see him there youre hintin he'll be starting , to put into context youll just agree with ".mcfod". no matter what.

Its been the most stupid f**king team selection ever leaving him out. Probably get his place on Dublin team tbh.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: mrhardyannual on July 23, 2016, 11:39:50 AM
Best of luck to the Rossies. If it were other than a neighbour involved, I would love to see Clare progress.

Roscommon aren't a bad side  .. but they were seriously over-rated after early league form. They have natural forwards, a weak midfield and a backline that struggles without Carty. They have a good management team. The difficulty they have is that they are trying to implement a new "system" during championship whereas the more successful teams have bedded this in over a one/two year period in the league. In Roscommon's case the collection of the kick-out at their own 20m line and its transfer through hands up the field means that forward who were used to getting quick ball in space are now bottled up. This has also led to management indecision regarding the make-up of the forward contingent.

I expect them to come through today and improve further in the quarters even though they will exit at that stage. A winter/spring of work combined with more realistic expectations will allow management to tweak the system. 2017 league will define them.

We struggled at the back before Carty, we struggled with Carty and we'll probably continue to struggle at the back unless something seriously changes. Issue is far bigger than one player.

League football is matterless at this point. We've proven everything there is to prove in the spring and the only thing that matter is the summer. That's why today is huge.

manfromdelmonte

Drizzly and windy in Salthill

Are Roscommon being punished for something?, having to play in the wind tunnel twice this summer.

imtommygunn

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 23, 2016, 12:26:40 PM

Are Roscommon being punished for something?, having to play in the wind tunnel twice this summer.

It's karma for inflicting syferus on the rest of us ;D

Syferus

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 23, 2016, 12:50:26 PM

I was trying to think of an insult about Antrim as a comeback, but being from Antrim is enough in itself.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2016, 12:52:45 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 23, 2016, 12:50:26 PM

I was trying to think of an insult about Antrim as a comeback, but being from Antrim is enough in itself.

;D

Captain Obvious

Two sides poor defensively and well able to score. It should be a high scoring game with plenty of goals.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on July 22, 2016, 10:19:02 PM
I doubt anyone without a tin hat on gives two f**ks about a media interview.

There must be a few tin hats about so. Hearing it went down like a lead balloon. Ructions was how it was described.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on July 23, 2016, 02:27:48 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 22, 2016, 10:19:02 PM
I doubt anyone without a tin hat on gives two f**ks about a media interview.

There must be a few tin hats about so. Hearing it went down like a lead balloon. Ructions was how it was described.

A bit like the bus 'ructions' last year alright.

manfromdelmonte

4 changes for Roscommon

Much better balanced defence
No midfield again

Il Bomber Destro

Roscommon no 13 well versed in the dark arts and drags his marker down with a pull and wins a soft free in.

Il Bomber Destro

Can Roscommon substitute their bus into the centre of defence?

They are wide open down the middle.

BennyHarp

The big question is whether or not the weather is suitable for Roscommon today.
That was never a square ball!!