Spillane article

Started by TheGreatest, January 13, 2020, 11:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: thewobbler on January 13, 2020, 12:48:42 PM
Spillane does roughly the same levels of research for his articles, as a bull does into its mating partners.

He has been stealing a living for 25 years, and that his opinions are considered still relevant is a blemish on Irish society.
While Pat is the master of the Failed analogy, he does actually know what hes talking about . easy for the Kids to forget  he has a good claim to be the Best ever footballer , unlike Brolly who was a minor of a once off champion and is rivaling Ronnie Delany for making the most out of one Medal
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

screenexile

Quote from: Angelo on January 14, 2020, 09:30:45 AM
Quote from: screenexile on January 13, 2020, 09:32:12 PM
Is the myth of Harte not getting paid gone now then??

I'd imagine Gavin didn't get paid or refused to take expenses or whatever he seems like that sort.

Another Derryman unleashing his subjective bias on us.

Mickey isn't getting paid then??

Angelo

Quote from: screenexile on January 14, 2020, 11:44:58 AM
Quote from: Angelo on January 14, 2020, 09:30:45 AM
Quote from: screenexile on January 13, 2020, 09:32:12 PM
Is the myth of Harte not getting paid gone now then??

I'd imagine Gavin didn't get paid or refused to take expenses or whatever he seems like that sort.

Another Derryman unleashing his subjective bias on us.

Mickey isn't getting paid then??

Couldn't tell you, couldn't tell you if Jim Gavin was either.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Crete Boom

All I take from this thread is that the ignore function is a very useful tool so thanks again to proboards for providing it. ;D

TheGreatest

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 14, 2020, 12:17:43 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on January 13, 2020, 08:06:48 PM
I wonder if he is talking about McGeeney? The question is how would he know regardless of who he is talking about? I'm fairly sure I know the answer to that one

Probably Horan!

Probably most definitely.

DuffleKing

Horan won a national league title

TheGreatest

Quote from: DuffleKing on January 15, 2020, 11:00:31 AM

Horan won a national league title

He did....

In the article it states said manager won no Championship silverware, meaning could have won a League.

themac_23

Can see the sense in counties paying managers something but my major problem is the club manager circuit, clubs who are struggling to keep the lights on are having to try and fundraise etc to try pay some boy to come in when the money could be going to better use for juvenile teams etc

twohands!!!

Quote from: themac_23 on January 15, 2020, 12:13:25 PM
Can see the sense in counties paying managers something but my major problem is the club manager circuit, clubs who are struggling to keep the lights on are having to try and fundraise etc to try pay some boy to come in when the money could be going to better use for juvenile teams etc

A suggestion I saw somewhere is that at club level the same rules regarding players should apply to managers regarding registration and transfers.

Rossfan

That would be a help and could save  €20m per annum.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

I just can't see any way around managers getting paid myself, much as I'd love to.

Put them "through the books" and the ultra-black market of sponsors sending envelopes directly to managers, will become the norm for everyone. The GAA can't control this. Send a top investigative journalist onto the case and he might unearth and shame a few, but the majority will trundle on.

Tie them to club membership, and they become strength and conditioning coaches / physios in name, which means they can run the show from the sidelines, in every way apart from wearing a bib on championship days.

These moves would only feed whispers and resentment, while changing nothing.

It's an insipid part of association's culture.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: thewobbler on January 15, 2020, 06:08:02 PM
I just can't see any way around managers getting paid myself, much as I'd love to.

Put them "through the books" and the ultra-black market of sponsors sending envelopes directly to managers, will become the norm for everyone. The GAA can't control this. Send a top investigative journalist onto the case and he might unearth and shame a few, but the majority will trundle on.

Tie them to club membership, and they become strength and conditioning coaches / physios in name, which means they can run the show from the sidelines, in every way apart from wearing a bib on championship days.

+1
You are bang on and no amount of waffling about tying managers to club memberships or putting their income through the books will solve the problem. That is, if you regard it as a problem in the first place.
I believe that most managers derive most if not all of their income through covert sponsorship deals- probably with the knowledge of county boards or club executive. I mean that clubs or cbs could manage to pay some of the payments being bandied about on this board and prevent it showing up on the books.
Apart from that, a great many clubs and counties are already struggling to keep going as it is without stuffing thousands of euros into brown envelopes on the qt.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 16, 2020, 01:11:15 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 15, 2020, 06:08:02 PM

+1
You are bang on and no amount of waffling about tying managers to club memberships or putting their income through the books will solve the problem. That is, if you regard it as a problem in the first place.
I believe that most managers derive most if not all of their income through covert sponsorship deals- probably with the knowledge of county boards or club executive. I mean that clubs or cbs could manage to pay some of the payments being bandied about on this board and prevent it showing up on the books.
Apart from that, a great many clubs and counties are already struggling to keep going as it is without stuffing thousands of euros into brown envelopes on the qt.

Will these lad end up with a very minimal pension if taxes not paid on earnings?  A bit like the lads in parts of the UK who were paid cash "off the books" for years and are now destitute in their old age?

rosnarun

is there any one on this chat room, that is involved in payment of mangers ? either as a club member or as a manager?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Eire90

How do they get paid is it brown paper bags