Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: heffo on March 06, 2018, 11:51:09 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 17, 2018, 11:26:56 AM
Anyone ever do the Bray cliff trail 10k? It's on March 31st.....am thinking of doing it. I'd imagine it might be a nice run?

It's a nice run and the first 2k or so is all uphill.

The course is very narrow though once you get onto the cliff run itself so if you're looking to go anyway fast, get out in front of the main group.

Last 1.5/2kish is on the beach and back up the promenade.

Thanks Heffo. Unfortunately after I posted this I realised I wouldn't be able to do it this year....maybe next year.

Dubh driocht

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on March 06, 2018, 10:55:54 AM
Doing the Carlingford Half marathon this weekend.  Was due to be last weekend but got postponed on account of the weather.

Has anyone ever done it before ? any advice would be appreciated.  Understand that it's a fairly flat route.

I've no big target in mind, just signed up to try and shift a bit of Christmas timber and haven't done as many practice runs as i would have liked but will give it a go.

I did Carlingford couple of years ago and it's an enjoyable event. Undulating is the word I think; lots of small hills, no really tough climbs and a nice run along the shore with great views of the Mournes towards the end. They provide tea and sarneys in the Four Seasons hotel afterwards. They could have provided more water points but maybe that's been addressed. They also donated the funds to worthy projects in North Louth.

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: Dubh driocht on March 06, 2018, 06:00:02 PM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on March 06, 2018, 10:55:54 AM
Doing the Carlingford Half marathon this weekend.  Was due to be last weekend but got postponed on account of the weather.

Has anyone ever done it before ? any advice would be appreciated.  Understand that it's a fairly flat route.

I've no big target in mind, just signed up to try and shift a bit of Christmas timber and haven't done as many practice runs as i would have liked but will give it a go.

I did Carlingford couple of years ago and it's an enjoyable event. Undulating is the word I think; lots of small hills, no really tough climbs and a nice run along the shore with great views of the Mournes towards the end. They provide tea and sarneys in the Four Seasons hotel afterwards. They could have provided more water points but maybe that's been addressed. They also donated the funds to worthy projects in North Louth.

Cheers for that Dubh, tea and sarneys for starters followed by a few pints of guinness will do me  :)
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Don Johnson

Any trainer recommendations for a newbie runner to help with a dicky knee? Only started about a month and a half ago but have had to ease off the last week and a bit because my right knee has been aching.

imtommygunn

Do you know what is up with it? Is it itb?

Stretching / strengthening more important than trainers.

heffo

Quote from: Don Johnson on March 07, 2018, 11:51:14 AM
Any trainer recommendations for a newbie runner to help with a dicky knee? Only started about a month and a half ago but have had to ease off the last week and a bit because my right knee has been aching.

You could get gait analysis done but that sounds like more a physio issue

Don Johnson

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 07, 2018, 01:09:25 PM

Just a pain round to the side of the knee that came on gradually but when it kicked in it was very sore, limped home one of the times!

Any links or advice re: stretching etc?

imtommygunn

Pain on the outside can be itb which while it feels like the knee it actually stems from elsewhere and manifests itself in the knee. That is if it is the outside.

Stretch round your glutes , hip flexors and glute med as they tend to cause this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TBHYzOxGRE

Haven't time now but will try and dig out some stretches later

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Don Johnson on March 07, 2018, 01:24:45 PM

Just a pain round to the side of the knee that came on gradually but when it kicked in it was very sore, limped home one of the times!

There are one or two on here that are brilliant for helping out on the medical side of things and only too willing to give you advice

The one thing you have mentioned was you've just started taking running up, you probably have just over done it lately, rest and training and stretch, see how it goes and if it continues go get medical advice
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Don Johnson

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 07, 2018, 02:25:30 PM
Pain on the outside can be itb which while it feels like the knee it actually stems from elsewhere and manifests itself in the knee. That is if it is the outside.

Stretch round your glutes , hip flexors and glute med as they tend to cause this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TBHYzOxGRE

Haven't time now but will try and dig out some stretches later

Cheers!

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 07, 2018, 02:26:00 PM
Quote from: Don Johnson on March 07, 2018, 01:24:45 PM

There are one or two on here that are brilliant for helping out on the medical side of things and only too willing to give you advice

The one thing you have mentioned was you've just started taking running up, you probably have just over done it lately, rest and training and stretch, see how it goes and if it continues go get medical advice

Yeah I was going out every morning there for a couple weeks before the pain came so this is probably true. Need to ease off for a while. Though then I feel like I am doing nothing now!

Milltown Row2

Runners guilt!!!!

Yeah I felt that a lot after the marathon when down with my pup at the beach, as there is a great run along the shore and lots of runners out on it! rest up and see how it goes...

A mate of mine was compalining about chest pains before, was really worried went to doctors full on tests and everything was fine.. at the end of it all the doctor asked him had he been doing anything differently lately, he thought about it and he was moving furniture to a friends house, lifting beds, chair settee's and so on but didnt put 2 and 2 together! wouldnt be one for doing weights so it shocked his body! Always best to get checked though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: Don Johnson on March 07, 2018, 03:03:37 PM
Yeah I was going out every morning there for a couple weeks before the pain came so this is probably true. Need to ease off for a while. Though then I feel like I am doing nothing now!
Are you completely new to running or getting back into it?
Maybe you should try something like couch to 5k which eases you into it rather than going gung ho with no real plan.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

mrdeeds

Also running on road all time can cause issues. Use a track or trail also.

imtommygunn

Not track - trail. (Assuming you mean running track?)

Ramp up your running gradually to condition your body too. Rule is ten percent per week. None to loads equals sure injury.

I would also suggest if you just started out run at a comfortable pace for you. I.e the tank should not be empty. Makes it much easier to build up.

Don Johnson

Quote from: laoislad on March 07, 2018, 04:30:36 PM
Quote from: Don Johnson on March 07, 2018, 03:03:37 PM
Are you completely new to running or getting back into it?
Maybe you should try something like couch to 5k which eases you into it rather than going gung ho with no real plan.

Completely new. Basically going from no exercise for the last few years into it.

I did that couch to 5k a few years back and found it very slow. I have already been able to run 5k round the lakes near me, though as someone else said at the end the tank was empty.

I will look up running trails nearby to see do they ease up. Went out for a walk this morning, felt ok so did a small bit of running. Was grand.