Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CK_Redhand

Thanks everyone.

I'll try more disciplined interval and hill runs.  I'll let you know of any progress.

SHEEDY

Brilliant running tonight by Ciara Mageean to get a silver medal in 1500 metres, a season best performance. Laura Muir just too good at the minute
nil satis nisi optimum

bridgegael

Anyone use vests or pouches for longer runs, if so any recommendations on which are the best? Thanks.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

laoislad

Quote from: bridgegael on August 20, 2022, 10:15:52 AM
Anyone use vests or pouches for longer runs, if so any recommendations on which are the best? Thanks.
For carrying phones and gels etc?
I use these from Decathlon https://www.decathlon.ie/mid-tights-shorts-and-baggy-shorts/332955-151681-kiprun-men-s-marathon-running-shorts-with-carry-pockets-black.html
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

bridgegael

They look ideal. Thanks laoislad.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

laoislad

Just be aware with Decathlon I always have to size up. I'm a 32" waist but have to get the Large in those shorts. Same with any of their running clothes I always have to size up.

Milltown Row2

Size up, means fat Cnut  ;D

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gerrykeegan

Right I've 3000 kms under my belt since starting to run at the start of covid. Delighted with that. Can I ask a question of the experienced runners. What does your max heart rate get to. My resting is always in the 50s but when running I hit a high of often in the 190s. I believe your max heart rate is 220 - your age. I'm not 30! My doctor isn't worried but I was wondering what highs to others hit in comparison to the 220 less your age guide
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on August 23, 2022, 12:45:37 PM
Right I've 3000 kms under my belt since starting to run at the start of covid. Delighted with that. Can I ask a question of the experienced runners. What does your max heart rate get to. My resting is always in the 50s but when running I hit a high of often in the 190s. I believe your max heart rate is 220 - your age. I'm not 30! My doctor isn't worried but I was wondering what highs to others hit in comparison to the 220 less your age guide
220-age is a load of bollox of a formula. Don't use it.
MAX HR is an individual thing and doesn't mean anything as regards fitness etc, resting HR on the other hand is a good indicator of fitness. If you see a downward trend in Resting HR value it generally means you are getting fitter.

My max is about 203, that was taken from an all out 5km a while back. That's one way of getting your Max HR.
My resting is about 49 now on average as I'm currently Marathon training so hopefully that's a good sign for me.

Btw you probably shouldn't be running every run where you are hitting 190+
Most of my runs are done around 150bpm, though I only use HR as guide and don't stick rigidly to a HR value, I prefer to use perceived effort.

imtommygunn

You should do a test - read online but it's like 2 -3 decent reps of a hill flat out with hill being 400 metres or so. The generic formula is a load of crap.

You shouldn't be at 190s in most of your runs lol. Most runs should be aerobic and you should be nowhere near it haha.

Yeah perceived effort if you can do that is the way to go. I would expect irrespective if age that at 190+ you're going to be busted.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on August 23, 2022, 12:50:25 PM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on August 23, 2022, 12:45:37 PM
220-age is a load of bollox of a formula. Don't use it.
MAX HR is an individual thing and doesn't mean anything as regards fitness etc, resting HR on the other hand is a good indicator of fitness. If you see a downward trend in Resting HR value it generally means you are getting fitter.
My max is about 203, that was taken from an all out 5km a while back. That's one way of getting your Max HR.
My resting is about 49 now on average as I'm currently Marathon training so hopefully that's a good sign for me.
Btw you probably shouldn't be running every run where you are hitting 190+
Most of my runs are done around 150bpm, though I only use HR as guide and don't stick rigidly to a HR value, I prefer to use perceived effort.
My 7 day average RHR is 68  ???

CK_Redhand

Got a 20.30 at parkrun today. First time breaking 21 minutes so I'm happy with that. Didn't expect progress so soon.  I was chatting with someone aiming for a 20 and kept up with them for the most part.

I'll keep up the training and try again for a pb in a couple of weeks.

Milltown Row2

Well done..

Did the guy you were chatting to go under 20?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CK_Redhand

No he got 20.10 by the official results. I'll see him again at the next run

Recently got back into running and got an 8k in 37 minutes, would this be considered slow? I remember back in school 4 minutes a k would of been considered the benchmark for a good runner.