Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 22, 2022, 03:14:31 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 22, 2022, 03:02:34 PM
Have a half coming up in the middle of May but haven't been able to run without my calf going for nearly 8 weeks... I think the physio has me on the right track now but it'll only be 6 weeks of training barring injury.

Is it doable? I'm not too arsed about time at this stage just hoping to get around in less than 2 hours.

The main goal is Dublin at the end of October so hopefully i can go full steam ahead for that.

Your taking this new Jack Reacher to heart lol!! A good paced jog will get you round without hampering the calf, providing your physio is confident. Is there a pace that you feel that the calf starts to ache or a distance?

I haven't been going particularly fast it's gone on my short runs which are kind of around 8-8.5minute miles.

I got up to 10miles @ 10min mile pace at the end of Jan and it was fine then. Apparently I've a weakness in my hamstring which is putting too much pressure on the calf and if I can strengthen it over the next few weeks it should be OK.

trueblue1234

Anyone do the Belfast Marathon the day?

Did one of the relay legs and thankfully rain held off.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trueblue1234

Quote from: laoislad on May 01, 2022, 07:48:46 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 01, 2022, 07:43:54 PM

Did it go off without a hiccup today? Always seems to be something wrong happening at it.

Seemed to as far as I could see. No times out yet though but think they are always a bit slow on that.
Turned out a good enough day for it in the end. Was expecting a complete wash out at one point.

SHEEDY

did it myself, finished in 3 hours 2 mins, tough run, calf's cramped up in last few miles. Everything went well as far as I seen, rain held off well and pack collection was night and day from last year.
nil satis nisi optimum

trueblue1234

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 01, 2022, 08:19:58 PM

did it myself, finished in 3 hours 2 mins, tough run, calf's cramped up in last few miles. Everything went well as far as I seen, rain held off well and pack collection was night and day from last year.

That is some time well done. Must be putting in serious miles. Did a half a few weeks ago and think that is my limit for the time being. Just too many time constraints.

SHEEDY

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 01, 2022, 09:13:33 PM

That is some time well done. Must be putting in serious miles. Did a half a few weeks ago and think that is my limit for the time being. Just too many time constraints.
Doing about 40 miles a week, hadn't as many longer runs done in build up to this and it definitely showed in last few miles. Ormeau rd never gets easier.
nil satis nisi optimum

Milltown Row2

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 01, 2022, 09:40:25 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 01, 2022, 09:13:33 PM

Doing about 40 miles a week, hadn't as many longer runs done in build up to this and it definitely showed in last few miles. Ormeau rd never gets easier.

Ormeau is not easy, that gradual climb is a killer.amazing time all the same
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AnPuca

Anyone ran in the Nike Pegasus shoes? A fella in the gym swears by them but he only wears them for doing 1 5k a month and he's not much of a runner.

I'm starting back running this week and aim on doing 2 nights a week to get started back and then will. Up the frequency as the fitness comes.

Any of the more seasoned runners here wear them that would recommend them? Or any good or negatives that you've experienced?

RedHand88

Quote from: AnPuca on June 09, 2022, 09:55:52 AM
Anyone ran in the Nike Pegasus shoes? A fella in the gym swears by them but he only wears them for doing 1 5k a month and he's not much of a runner.

I'm starting back running this week and aim on doing 2 nights a week to get started back and then will. Up the frequency as the fitness comes.

Any of the more seasoned runners here wear them that would recommend them? Or any good or negatives that you've experienced?

I'm a cyclist not a runner but 2 ones at work into their running are big into Pegasus.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 09, 2022, 10:14:25 AM
Quote from: AnPuca on June 09, 2022, 09:55:52 AM

I'm a cyclist not a runner but 2 ones at work into their running are big into Pegasus.

Got a pair and wasn't overly impressed, I'm older now so prefer the big cushioned Hoka's
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Bearded One

Does anyone know of any shop in Ireland that has a full stock of Nike running shoes? Everywhere I know of in the North seems to be stocked full of Brooks, New Balance, Saucony, Hoka but not a Nike shoe to be found.
It is what it is. Presumably.

Turf

Quote from: The Bearded One on January 17, 2022, 02:59:45 PM
Dublin marathon is something else, the atmosphere around the course is brilliant and the fact it's a familiar city to me helps as well. Hopefully everyone stays injury free now and the training block goes well 🤞🏾
Signed up for this myself. Going to pace a friend to Sub 4 hopefully. He has a PB of 4:00:07 those pesky 7 seconds are killing him!
Tried to convince him Dublin might not be the best Marathon for a PB and to try one of the "easier"(basically flatter) European ones like Amsterdam or Rotterdam but he has his heart set on Dublin.
We're doing the first of the race series runs on Sunday. Anyone else?

laoislad

Quote from: screenexile on January 17, 2022, 01:49:29 PM
Quote from: laoislad on January 17, 2022, 12:57:16 PM
Quote from: The Bearded One on December 20, 2021, 09:08:04 AM
Thanks @laoislad it's great news (provided I am lucky!)
Ballot results announce today, did you get in?

Was successful as well!! Have never ran more than 10km so this will be a big step up... something to aim for though and I've always wanted to do a marathon.
100 days to go from today!
How's the training going lads?
I just started the training plan this week. Have been doing loads the last few months but the actual plan only started this week.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

The Bearded One

Same as myself Laoislad, I've kept myself in reasonable shape since a few races I ran in March/April. Started my plan last week, intend to work in blocks of 4 weeks with every 4th week a deload before pushing on again for the next 3 weeks.
It is what it is. Presumably.

laoislad

Gonna be serious heat for Ironman Cork this weekend. Was down working in Cork yesterday and was talking to a fella who is doing it, dreading it he said. Last time he did it he said the weather was that bad they cancelled the swim section. Gonna be some carnage I'd say.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.