Mayo v Westmeath Round 4B

Started by Farrandeelin, July 18, 2016, 08:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cllr Willie Power

Mayo v Westmeath in Croke Park on Saturday 30th July at 6 p.m. Cork v Donegal beforehand at 4 p.m.

Both games are live on Sky Sports.

Maroon Manc

Great draw for Mayo, a game against Donegal would have taken too much out of them given the next games only 7 days later.

Based on what I've seen so far I couldn't see Mayo beating Tyrone but this is practically the same set of players that should have beaten Dublin last August so you can right them off.

J70

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 18, 2016, 09:06:59 AM
A game in Croker to try out the system there looks likely. Glad we are not playing Donegal. Too much baggage there. Could have been a nasty affair and brought consequences for us if we'd made a quarter final.

We didn't want you guys either! :)

J70

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 18, 2016, 09:38:20 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 18, 2016, 09:34:13 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 18, 2016, 09:32:29 AM
Quote from: galwayman on July 18, 2016, 09:27:20 AM
Likelihood is a Mayo-Tyrone qf. That would be a cracker. A real 50-50 game imo.

And a Galway/Mayo semi after that, if there was a after that for both teams. Now that would be a cracker!
Quarters is as far as Mayo will go this year.

Agreed, The week turnaround as well as our other multiple issues will see us come a cropper to Tyrone. Although we are Tyrones Bogey team.

So were we. ;)

omagh_gael

The beaten provincial finalists tend to have a brutal record in the final round of the qualifiers. However, with Westmeath facing Dublin they would have been 99% sure they'd be beat (behind close doors). Will this usual hangover effect be less pronounced this year for them?

You could look at last year when they were beat by the Dubs then went out in the next round at the hands of Fermanagh. However, last year was their first Leinster final since 2004 (I think) so the emotional investment may have been more. Mayo still overwhelming favourites for this one but my feelings are WM will be more focused than the other provincial losers.

AZOffaly

You could say the same about Tipperary, and they've had a few weeks to get over it too.

Croí na hÉireann

We've a couple of injuries and a light panel but I think we'll give a better account than we managed against Fermanagh last year. We had all the hallmarks of a team who were over trained in that second half and hopefully we'll be fresher tomorrow week.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

omagh_gael

True enough regarding Tipp, although their task is slightly *easier* given the opposition. Think this game will be tighter than the superficial reading would suggest.

If Mayo do pull through I hope this is killing match with half a dozen red cards. Preferably for AoS, DoC and CoC. Then that might give our lads a smidgen of hope against the great green and red in a potential QF ;)

Lar Naparka

Think it's time to bump this thread out of sympathy for poor Syferus.
Now he can get back to waffling about  his favourite team.
Just hope the combined rest of humanity manage to slip a few words in here and there. ;D

BTW, whatever happened to Adam Gallagher?
I think he last played in 2014 and I know he got injured but he hasn't been heard of since. He was certainly a very promising player and we could do with him now if he was around and fit to play.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Cllr Willie Power

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 25, 2016, 11:21:02 AM
I think he last played in 2014 and I know he got injured but he hasn't been heard of since. He was certainly a very promising player and we could do with him now if he was around and fit to play.

He's currently a non-playing sub on the Mayo Junior team. I know he had a few injuries, but he's gone off the radar altogether in the past couple of years...

omagh_gael

Quote from: Cllr Willie Power on July 25, 2016, 12:04:49 PM

He's currently a non-playing sub on the Mayo Junior team. I know he had a few injuries, but he's gone off the radar altogether in the past couple of years...

I remember this guy giving a great display up in Omagh during a league game and earmarked him as one to watch. Much like a long haired Kevin McLoughlin from about 6(?) Years ago.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 25, 2016, 01:50:13 PM

I remember this guy giving a great display up in Omagh during a league game and earmarked him as one to watch. Much like a long haired Kevin McLoughlin from about 6(?) Years ago.
Kevin Mcloughlin never had long hair, we don't do long hair in Knockmore

Well unless you're God
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ONeill

Mayo by 14 points, pulling up.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 25, 2016, 06:18:18 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on July 25, 2016, 01:50:13 PM

Kevin Mcloughlin never had long hair, we don't do long hair in Knockmore

Well unless you're God

Ok, should have said *longer* hair:

http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/24062/mayo-and-roscommon-face-fines-following-half-time-incident

You'd have got suspended from the Christian Brothers school if you'd hair that length and wouldn't be let back until you'd got yourself a short back and sides!

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: rosnarun on July 18, 2016, 10:36:48 AM
not sure of as some one said apart from the cavanaghs they have 13 identical players doing identical things

?????