Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Not so sure about that. I think they'll be happy not playing St Colman's. I also think that with a lot of the team having been part of last years All Ireland winning team they should not let the occasion get to them. Someone suggested to me that the McCormack Cup defeat was the first time that group of lads had lost a final from they started at the school
Careful now

Any craic

There are video clips here from the replay, including the Maghera goal and some great late points  http://www.ulstercollegesgaa.org/

yellowcard

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 02, 2013, 05:48:43 PM
Not so sure about that. I think they'll be happy not playing St Colman's. I also think that with a lot of the team having been part of last years All Ireland winning team they should not let the occasion get to them. Someone suggested to me that the McCormack Cup defeat was the first time that group of lads had lost a final from they started at the school

Only going on what I was told a month ago. Watched them comprehensively beat St Colmans in the group stages and I believe they simply have better players than St Colmans. You could be right about those lads winning the All Ireland last year but that was in the secondary competition. I hope Bessbrook can win it but its too hard to call. Before the quarter finals I wondered if St Pauls had put too much into the early stages of the competition but having watched them the last twice they have been just as impressive.

Rawhide

It would have a travesty if St Pats had not won that game today. Much better team, IMO 7-8 pts a better team. their FF won every ball but kicked seriously poor wides, when better options were available. Maghera are improving all the time, Glens ulster minor campaign has held their preparations back, but they are coming to the boil. St Paul's are playing well, but the team they played in the semi were so poor, how on earth did they beat Dungannon. tough to call but we are in for a good game.
cccc is a true supporter lol

Carnview

St Paul's won the McCormick Cup beating Maghera with a last minute goal.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Carnview on March 03, 2013, 12:04:40 PM

Think he is referring to Maghera here Carnview. It's true that this year group has never lost a final all the way through. I wouldn't call the Mac Cormick a proper competition though!

Carnview

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 03, 2013, 03:01:59 PM

Think he is referring to Maghera here Carnview. It's true that this year group has never lost a final all the way through. I wouldn't call the Mac Cormick a proper competition though!
Well hopefully their involvement in last year's MacRory defeat to St Michaels will spur them on this year!

ranch

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 03, 2013, 03:01:59 PM

I think St. Paul's probably put more emphasis on it once they reached the final than Maghera did. It gives you a nice bit of momentum before the MacRory quarter finals but in the grand scheme of things it matters little. That said, it's nice to be able to look back and say you won it.

Dougal Maguire

Not so sure about that. The fact that they chose to play the Glen lads would suggest they were going for it
Careful now

Line Ball

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 03, 2013, 06:43:40 PM
Not so sure about that. The fact that they chose to play the Glen lads would suggest they were going for it

They didn't choose to play them, they were ordered to.  Apparently Maghera were told on the day of the Mc Cormick final that if they didn't play their full team against Bessbrook that they would be thrown out of the MacRory and Glen Maghera would not be permitted to play in the St Pauls tournament.  They didn't intend playing the Glen boys but had to put a strong team out under pressure from Ulster Colleges and Danske Bank.

Rawhide

Quote from: Line Ball on March 03, 2013, 07:15:02 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 03, 2013, 06:43:40 PM

They didn't choose to play them, they were ordered to.  Apparently Maghera were told on the day of the Mc Cormick final that if they didn't play their full team against Bessbrook that they would be thrown out of the MacRory and Glen Maghera would not be permitted to play in the St Pauls tournament.  They didn't intend playing the Glen boys but had to put a strong team out under pressure from Ulster Colleges and Danske Bank.

Nearly correct, st pats weren't for playing the glen lads as gromley had told them they weren't playing, but the ulster council steeped in and told glen that they would be kicked out of the minor tourney if the glen players didn't play for Maghera. St pats then had to play them even thou they had named a completely different team at school training, they had to pull everyone in at 2pm and change the team, well,u could imagine he that went down. The glen lads had to leave the school to go and get there gear. Some prep for that game.
cccc is a true supporter lol

Line Ball

Thanks Rawhide for clarification.  I hear that Maghera were run close yesterday and the same last week.  They have been a standout team the whole way through the MacRory and in previous years as well.  Hope they do well against the 'non selective' opposition that we keep hearing about - change the record please!

brogin41

Who are the Ulster Colleges playin in the semi finals!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Line Ball on March 03, 2013, 08:08:37 PM
Thanks Rawhide for clarification.  I hear that Maghera were run close yesterday and the same last week.  They have been a standout team the whole way through the MacRory and in previous years as well.  Hope they do well against the 'non selective' opposition that we keep hearing about - change the record please!

St Pats are also non selective but you know what your saying. Between Rafferty and Burns you would think Grammar schools were the devil!!

Line Ball

Quote from: brogin41 on March 03, 2013, 08:38:20 PM
Who are the Ulster Colleges playin in the semi finals!

??????  What?