Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambrose

You can't live off history and tradition forever

champion1981

They didn't get out of 2nd gear in down as they didn't  have 2, who would you put in kilcoo starting 15 that named to start for down

whitegoodman

They were 4 points down with 8 mins to go against Burren and beat CPN by a point.  Where they in 2nd gear for these matches ?

whitegoodman

Yas are losing the run of yourselves a bit with how good Kilcoo are.  The great Burren team of the 80s wouldn't beat the Down team of that era and the same applies to the current Kilcoo team.

Plus most would agree the Kilcoo team as a whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts which isn't a dig at the players. In fact it's a compliment.

thewobbler

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 24, 2020, 07:27:05 PM
Yas are losing the run of yourselves a bit with how good Kilcoo are.  The great Burren team of the 80s wouldn't beat the Down team of that era and the same applies to the current Kilcoo team.

Plus most would agree the Kilcoo team as a whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts which isn't a dig at the players. In fact it's a compliment.

In fairness, the Down team of the 1980s were D1 standard, won an Ulster title and and NFL. They by rights should have battered any club side.

Plus I'm not sure the current Down side would have the aerial strength or physical attributes to dominate Kilcoo physically, in the way you would expect a county side to do to a club side.

I'm not saying Kilcoo would win. But both sides going genuinely hammer and tong would, I expect, be a close enough affair.

ardtole

The team named tonight wouldn't exactly strike fear into many teams. Harrison and Mooney are huge losses. It's a big ask to get 2 points away to tipp, who apparently have a good few regulars missing this year also. Tough game to call.

champion1981

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 24, 2020, 07:20:58 PM
They were 4 points down with 8 mins to go against Burren and beat CPN by a point.  Where they in 2nd gear for these matches ?just playing with them, when they needed to they played a bit for 5mins and beat teams, sign of  a good team that,😉

Smurfy123

What other players would start for Down from Kilcoo besides the brannigans and the lads who already commit? You still haven't answered

whitegoodman

Quote from: thewobbler on January 24, 2020, 08:09:45 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on January 24, 2020, 07:27:05 PM

In fairness, the Down team of the 1980s were D1 standard, won an Ulster title and and NFL. They by rights should have battered any club side.

Plus I'm not sure the current Down side would have the aerial strength or physical attributes to dominate Kilcoo physically, in the way you would expect a county side to do to a club side.

I'm not saying Kilcoo would win. But both sides going genuinely hammer and tong would, I expect, be a close enough affair.

And by the same token that Burren team were at a higher level than this Kilcoo team similar to the Down team of the 80s being at a higher level than the current Down team so it swings in roundabouts

champion1981

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 24, 2020, 09:31:24 PM
What other players would start for Down from Kilcoo besides the brannigans and the lads who already commit? You still haven't answered young mcevoy ward McCourt  and arron  morgan are all better players than what's there with county,  laverty and niall mcevoy could also represent county along with the 3/4 braniganns,  now tell me who on this county team lining out this weekend would start for the magpies???🤦‍♂️

Smurfy123

O hare
O Hagen x2
Quinn
Annett
McCabe
Dornan

Ward Morgan mcevoy and McCourt certainly a long way to go yet
Mcevoy and Laverty would not start for Down. Laverty coukd not start in his prime for Christ sake. He did then get his place on poor poor Down teams

Maurice Moss

As I mentioned earlier, you are a clown

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 24, 2020, 10:40:33 PM
O hare
O Hagen x2
Quinn
Annett
McCabe
Dornan

Mcevoy and Laverty would not start for Down. Laverty coukd not start in his prime for Christ sake. He did then get his place on poor poor Down teams

Mourne Rover

Comparing club and county teams makes little sense. Our starting line up for Sunday looks promising, and has plenty of pace, but is unproven in a number of areas. Tally has made a big call in dropping McKernan, although probably the right one on his Tyrone display, and Havern may be unfortunate to miss out. However, this is the chance for the likes of Fegan, Annett, Guinness and McCabe to really show us what they can do. If O'Hare, Quinn and Barry O'Hagan manage a few scores, we will be in with a shout. Our bench is also decent, which could make a difference,and it's great to see Donnelly back there after a full year out, but, like almost all of our league games last season, it will probably come down to tight margins.

Smurfy123

I'm a clown because I have an opinion on a discussion board?
My initial point was no Kilcoo player is guaranteed a place on the Down squad outside of the brannigans and the lads who commit

champion1981

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 24, 2020, 10:40:33 PM
O hare
O Hagen x2
Quinn
Annett
McCabe
Dornan

as I said earlier Darren o Hagan and donal o'hare  and that would be it, barry o Hagan and dornan would jump out of the way when they see their own shadows ffs,