You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treasurer

Quote from: ross4life on August 13, 2010, 08:05:59 PM
funerals..

Just returned from one, a local lad i knew passed away, what grinds my gears is the whole set up of irish funerals e.g going around shaking hands with each & every family member not knowing what to say?

A life should celebrated & not mourned... for family to sit through that is terrible

I used to avoid the shaking hands where possible, thought it was an endurance test for the family, especially at big funerals when they could be sitting in the church for hours shaking hands - until I was on the other side of it and found great comfort from it.  Can't say that it's the same for everyone, but I now make a bigger effort to do it.  And what you say doesn't matter in the slightest (well within reason!!)

I still cringe though when I think of the first Mass I was at after the funeral and someone offered me the sign of peace at the appropriate time and my response was "thanks very much" :S

AZOffaly

Slightly off a tangent, and it didn't grind my gears at all, but semi related to Treas' post. My English cousin (RC) was over one time when we were about 12 or so. She went up to receive communion, and when the priest says 'Body of Christ', she answers 'Thanks' :D I nearly split myself.

pintsofguinness

Not as good as the time we were at blessings of the graves on a windy evening, in the queue for holy communion, a cousin was in front of me and when the priest went to give her the communion it flew out of his hand, hit her in the face and landed 10ft away with the priest scurrying after it.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Hardy

When Ronnie Reagan was president, he and the Mrs were at some religious ceremony where they were offered communion in bread and wine form. Ronnie hadn't a clue what the drill was but the priest/minister came to Nancy first and gave her the bread. When she was taking it, she fumbled it and it fell into the chalice, so he gave her another one and then a drink from the chalice. Then he moves on to Ronnie, who knows the score now, so he takes the piece of bread and fecks it into the chalice.

lurganblue

Lads I had the need to do a good bit of driving today and I kept encountering people doing 25/30 mph on roads with little safe opportunities to overtake ( oh and the limit was 60 mph). On one road the car was worse than a tractor and was causing a queue of about 15 cars. Can drivers like this be reported or something? I've no problem with people being safe but this was ridiculous

takeyourownpath

Quote from: lurganblue on August 15, 2010, 12:31:58 AM
Lads I had the need to do a good bit of driving today and I kept encountering people doing 25/30 mph on roads with little safe opportunities to overtake ( oh and the limit was 60 mph). On one road the car was worse than a tractor and was causing a queue of about 15 cars. Can drivers like this be reported or something? I've no problem with people being safe but this was ridiculous

oh yea, little known info that driving too slow is against the law! driving too slow is just as dangerous as driving too fast apparently!

pintsofguinness

That drives me mad too.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 15, 2010, 03:37:50 PM
That drives me mad too.

Whats worse is the pricks in powerful cars who do 40-50kph on bends then accelerate to 100-110kph on stretches and you are in a less powerful car and you cannot pass but you get stuck behind the p***k on the next bend.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

People who use the word Irony and clearly don't understand the meaning of the word.

ziggysego

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 15, 2010, 03:44:07 PM
People who use the word Irony and clearly don't understand the meaning of the word.

Testing Accessibility

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 14, 2010, 10:36:31 AM
Slightly off a tangent, and it didn't grind my gears at all, but semi related to Treas' post. My English cousin (RC) was over one time when we were about 12 or so. She went up to receive communion, and when the priest says 'Body of Christ', she answers 'Thanks' :D I nearly split myself.

On a similar vein my mad friend (everyone has one mad friend, you know the lad who says stuff he shouldn't, knows everyone he passes on the street and always has a completely unbelievable story to tell) was playing a game of pool in New Jersey years ago against some Yank. Myself & another fella were sitting nearby filling in a couple of young ones some of his exploits over the years. Then at the end of the game as was custom over there he walks over to the yank to offer his congratulations at winning the pool game and comes out with "How are you doing?". My pint went everywhere...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

EagleLord

so he says How are you doing? Wow, hes not wise that mate of yours...

ONeill

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 16, 2010, 04:13:51 PM

On a similar vein my mad friend (everyone has one mad friend, you know the lad who says stuff he shouldn't, knows everyone he passes on the street and always has a completely unbelievable story to tell) was playing a game of pool in New Jersey years ago against some Yank. Myself & another fella were sitting nearby filling in a couple of young ones some of his exploits over the years. Then at the end of the game as was custom over there he walks over to the yank to offer his congratulations at winning the pool game and comes out with "How are you doing?". My pint went everywhere...

Rickety table?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 16, 2010, 04:13:51 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 14, 2010, 10:36:31 AM

I take it he is a Friends friend?
MWWSI 2017