You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

Sidebottom elongates it too! It is never just 'Mugsy' with him but rather 'here is Mugsy Mulligan' or 'Ricey McMenamin has the ball', we know their fecking surnames!

Canalman

When commentators say "he put in a good shift" when a player is being subbed. Only a newish term I think but bugs me for some reason.

Asal Mor

Soft frees given for perfect tackles and backs just standing their ground. As for the shoulder, ther's no point even attempting it anymore. Even if it's perfectly executed you'll be lucky if you just get a yellow.

And Marty Morrissey - Every single time ( and I'm not exaggerating when I say every single time) a player kicks the sliotar he cracks that lame joke - "And Richie shows there's footballers in Kilkenny too".

gallsman

Once again, people who sit in the overtaking lane.

pintsofguinness

I was listening to the armagh game on the radio and they kept mentioning the exclusion zone? Is this a new thing?

The nickname thing annoys me too, you don't get it in any other sport. There isn't a GAA commentator that doesnt bug me.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

tyroneboi

Just on commentators coming up with new terminology, the fella on TV3 always says 'round the corner'. What does this even mean? Like POG says, a lot of the commentators really annoy me particularly Ger Canning.

AZOffaly

I presume kicking around the corner? That's actually an old term. It's when a lad kicks with his body parallel to the target, like a corner forward coming out from goals and kicking across himself.

Puckoon

Frank McGuigan was a great man for kicking around the corner.

DirtyDozen12

People complaining about gaa commentators really grinds my gears.  Who gives a shite, must be some outstanding commentators on here  ::)
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on July 19, 2010, 04:49:29 PM
People complaining about gaa commentators really grinds my gears.  Who gives a shite, must be some outstanding commentators on here  ::)
Granted you're much more annoying, is there anyway we could mute you?

paco

I like RTE's commentators and don't mind BBC's, but hate listening to TV3, haven't been able to watch a full match on it!

Farrandeelin

The phrase 'going forward'. Everybody seems to say it now after matches.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

gerry

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 19, 2010, 09:00:28 PM
The phrase 'going forward'. Everybody seems to say it now after matches.

my work full of that shit term
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 19, 2010, 01:56:48 PM
I was listening to the armagh game on the radio and they kept mentioning the exclusion zone? Is this a new thing?

The nickname thing annoys me too, you don't get it in any other sport. There isn't a GAA commentator that doesnt bug me.

Really? Ever hear of 'Tiger' Woods, 'Woosie' the 'Great White Shark' or 'Monty' in golf?
Slippers Madden, Air Jordan, Magic Johnson, The A-Train in basketball.
'Dipper', 'Duck' Carey, Daniel 'Bam Bam' Rich, 'God' for Gary Ablett, 'Son of God' for Gary junior
any boxer pool or darts player.

Just off the top of my head.....

Edit: spelling
Hasta la victoria siempre

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 20, 2010, 07:55:49 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 19, 2010, 01:56:48 PM

Really? Ever hear of 'Tiger' Woods, 'Woosie' the 'Great White Shark' or 'Monty' in golf?
Slippers Madden, Air Jordan, Magic Johnson, The A-Train in basketball.
'Dipper', 'Duck' Carey, Daniel 'Bam Bam' Rich, 'God' for Gary Ablett, 'Son of God' for Gary junior
any boxer pool or darts player.

Just off the top of my head.....

Edit: spelling
Never heard any of them, no. 
Boxing is different though, that's the name the put forward for themselves.