You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: chocoholic on August 18, 2012, 11:13:10 PM
Oh right, it happens in my club in all codes, right through juvenile and when i was at UUJ, it happened too.  Assumed it was common.

Every man called out in the certain position gets a big clap, very fake to me but I just clap away and cringe inside.
For every game? That's crazy.

I've seen lads presented with their jersey, especially at county level, on the night before a big game or in the hotel that morning or something. There's never applause though, it's very solemn.

haranguerer

Wtf??? Did you just make this up? Know plenty were at UUJ and they've never mentioned it, and they would have cos its f**king mental. Whats your club??

chocoholic

Jesus lads, relax. Its a personal thing that grinds my gears. Sorry for mentioning ffs, it obviously isnt as widespread as I thought.

Eamonnca1

People living north of somewhere referring to that place as "up."  For example, someone in the north saying somebody else is "up in Dublin."  To me "down in Dublin" would be more logical.

chocoholic

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 20, 2012, 01:58:05 AM
People living north of somewhere referring to that place as "up."  For example, someone in the north saying somebody else is "up in Dublin."  To me "down in Dublin" would be more logical.

I think that has more to do with the status of the place. If the town is bigger than where you are coming form, you are going 'up' to it regardless of which direction it is in. Someone told me before that that's how it is in the Irish language.

Eamonnca1

Now that you mention it, I remember our ones talking about the education authority "up" in Armagh which was south of us and that made perfect sense, and that didn't grind my gears at all.

ONeill

Quote from: chocoholic on August 20, 2012, 02:47:26 AM

I think that has more to do with the status of the place. If the town is bigger than where you are coming form, you are going 'up' to it regardless of which direction it is in. Someone told me before that that's how it is in the Irish language.

You're a mad bastard.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

chocoholic

Quote from: ONeill on August 20, 2012, 09:49:07 AM

You're a mad b**tard.

Ok

Quote from: hardstation on August 20, 2012, 08:10:08 AM

Someone was wrong.

Just checked with a friend and an Irish language speaker who says i'm not apparently. In Irish, they say 'up to Dublin' regardless of where in the country you are. This boy is an Irish teacher.

Windmill abu

QuotePeople living north of somewhere referring to that place as "up."  For example, someone in the north saying somebody else is "up in Dublin."  To me "down in Dublin" would be more logical.

I was told that it is always "up to the Capital"
Never underestimate the power of complaining

ONeill

chocoholic

Quote from: hardstation on August 20, 2012, 10:24:44 AM
Yes and they say "Down to Donegal" and "Out to Tyrone" for some other examples. It has nothing to do with the size of the place. Your mate needs to get back to school.

I'll be sure to let him know. Wee Sean McManus will be gutted he got that wrong...

brokencrossbar1

I  go down to Belfast and up to Dublin, as do many people I know.  I would imagine it has more to do with colloquialisms than anything else.  May have originally derived from the the Irish language or maybe it has nothing to do with it.  It certainly isn't something that warrants a gear grinding session but it is symptomatic of the style of conya (another colloquialism there!) that flows from thon gobdaw's mouth!

chocoholic

Quote from: hardstation on August 20, 2012, 10:24:44 AM
Yes and they say "Down to Donegal" and "Out to Tyrone" for some other examples. It has nothing to do with the size of the place. Your mate needs to get back to school.

What's it got to do with then?

ONeill

I'd go down to Cork, Kerry, Dublin and Portugal. I go up to Portrush, Dungiven, Bushmills and Muff. Completely geographical.