You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Silver hill on October 04, 2019, 08:21:53 PM
Token female tv presenters on sports programmes. Started by the bbc with MOTD, followed by the rugby on rte and then seeping into gaa coverage of both hurling and football. Pc brigade gone mad to fill a quota.

Women rugby commentators! WTF you don't hear Matt Dawson talking or commentating on women's rugby or Shefflin talking on Camogie. It not even close to being PC, it's daft
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

t_mac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 05, 2019, 12:08:31 AM
Token female tv presenters on sports programmes. Started by the bbc with MOTD, followed by the rugby on rte and then seeping into gaa coverage of both hurling and football. Pc brigade gone mad to fill a quota.

Women rugby commentators! WTF you don't hear Matt Dawson talking or commentating on women's rugby or Shefflin talking on Camogie. It not even close to being PC, it's daft

Jesus lads don't let Fionntamhnach's  hear ye all, he's got a major love in with female presenters, they are all fully qualified and not picked because of gender at all!! ::)

Rois

::)
Your comments are exactly why this has to happen. I pity your wives/sisters/daughters if this is your attitude towards efforts to get women on an even keel. That you think women have nothing worthwhile to contribute to sports discussions is really sad. Does that translate into wanting to make the GAA Discussion Board all male too?

Silver hill

Not buying that argument at all Rois. I just think we should have the most qualified people chosen to do the best job. I don't agree with giving someone a role simply because of gender or race quotas. I've seen it happen in workplace scenarios where female MDs or CEOs set targets to have 50% female at board level by a certain dates. What generally happens after that is the best candidate for certain roles do not get the job because a certain quota has to be filled. History has shown that the concept of positive discrimination does not work.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Silver hill on October 05, 2019, 08:24:31 AM
Not buying that argument at all Rois. I just think we should have the most qualified people chosen to do the best job. I don't agree with giving someone a role simply because of gender or race quotas. I've seen it happen in workplace scenarios where female MDs or CEOs set targets to have 50% female at board level by a certain dates. What generally happens after that is the best candidate for certain roles do not get the job because a certain quota has to be filled. History has shown that the concept of positive discrimination does not work.

Did 50:50 recruitment not make the PSNI more balanced?

imtommygunn

Having to block the roads for contentious marches made psni more hated on loyalist side. That has actually helped.

Sports punditry needs more women in it. There are too many ex players and not all are particularly useful. Women have to work harder to get there and tend to know more. You get people like Robbie savage from the men's side who is useless. Michael Owen too. Bringing in more women hs at least saved us from more useless men like that.

Agreed the best should get the job but there's that many sports punditry any ex player could rock up and do it. Bringing women into it has really helped imo.

Silver hill

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 05, 2019, 08:28:56 AM

[/quote

No it didn't. Same with springboks and their policy of having a certain number of black players on their team. Only causes resentment within the squad/ workplace.

t_mac

Quote from: Rois on October 05, 2019, 07:46:19 AM

Your comments are exactly why this has to happen. I pity your wives/sisters/daughters if this is your attitude towards efforts to get women on an even keel. That you think women have nothing worthwhile to contribute to sports discussions is really sad. Does that translate into wanting to make the GAA Discussion Board all male too?

Some sweeping statement there and over the top PC shite, because someone thinks someone who played a sport, at the level and intensity of that being shown, is in a better and more qualified position to commentate on it or analyse it that someone who hasn't.

t_mac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 05, 2019, 08:28:56 AM

Ask your Lurgan mates.

imtommygunn

Quote from: t_mac on October 05, 2019, 09:22:31 AM

Some sweeping statement there and over the top PC shite, because someone thinks someone who played a sport, at the level and intensity of that being shown, is in a better and more qualified position to commentate on it or analyse it that someone who hasn't.

It doesn't necessarily put them in a better or more qualified position though. Not everyone who has played a game at the top has the intelligence to properly analyse a game and not everyone who played at the top level is articulate enough to convey an understanding of the game even if they do understand it.

t_mac

To have the opinion that they may do though doesn't call for an hysterical reaction .

Milltown Row2

My point is simple, I haven't seen a ex hurler discussing camogie games or a ex footballer commenting on ladies football. I don't mind Alex Scott though, played at highest level and well tuned in.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

The women are there purely due to their gender, BBC for example has well known quotas. GAA on RTE is becoming ridiculous with pundits there purely for quota reasons, pundits that have never played the game they are analysing. Oh and we won't mention the female Sky Sports presenters that are there for their journalistic capabilities, nothing to do with the tits hanging out and being easy on the eye..........
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

t_mac

Quote from: Saffrongael on October 05, 2019, 03:41:36 PM
The women are there purely due to their gender, BBC for example has well known quotas. GAA on RTE is becoming ridiculous with pundits there purely for quota reasons, pundits that have never played the game they are analysing. Oh and we won't mention the female Sky Sports presenters that are there for their journalistic capabilities, nothing to do with the tits hanging out and being easy on the eye..........

Eamonnca1

Quote from: t_mac on October 05, 2019, 09:22:31 AM

Murray Walker never drove in Formula 1.

Phil Liggett was never a professional cyclist.